Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Gold on July 31, 2017, 12:54:13 AM
Quote from: Syferus on July 30, 2017, 11:48:37 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 30, 2017, 11:46:50 PM
Quote from: straightred on July 30, 2017, 11:41:26 PM
Quote from: Itchy on July 30, 2017, 11:39:54 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 30, 2017, 06:20:06 PM
That was one of the most electric matches I've ever went to. That buzz was unreal. Everything the GAA should be about was on display today.

Our young lads got to experience a new level of senior football today. Very proud of their performance and another game at this stage of the year is very welcome. Roll on Saturday.

It was close and tense but it was a very poor game as was Kerry and Galway. Saturdays two qualifiers were much better entertainment.
And much better quality. Kerry aside the 4 teams on saturday would fancy their chances against any of the other three on show today

To be fair 3 out of the 4 would fancy their chances against Tyrone as well! It's only Kerry and especially Dublin that most don't fancy!  ;)

Ros or Mayo would have beaten Kerry had we played them this afternoon. Galway were pathetic but Kerry were very poor.

That is absolute balls!

Donaghy will take you to school if you beat Mayo

He'd want to be taken to a CĂșl camp to learn the basics of gaelic football alright.

Rossfan

Don't mind them Syfīn, we came of age today and proved we can play in Croke Park and compete with a top 3 team.
Heroism all around, great start , totally lost our way, better players didn't perform, came back and in a nip and tuck contest with one of the top teams held our own.
Proud of our gallant lads today and hoping they can apply the coup de gras to an ailing Mayowestros outfit the next day.
By the way the whinging on the mayoblog is amusing.
Also seems inebriated Rhubarbs were fighting among themselves on trains tonight.
Ah well....
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Blowitupref

As i said before this game i had a feeling it would finish in a draw and that's how it went. As for those complaining about the quality of the game i think a few forget recent AI finals were worse and in 1998 Galway Roscommon played out 0-11 draw and back then Galway were totally written off after it.   Todays game was intriguing contest played in the rain and where defenses were on top, give me that type of game every day of the week instead of Dublin,Kerry or Mayo hammering some poorly organized team. 

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on July 31, 2017, 01:18:50 AM
Don't mind them Syfīn, we came of age today and proved we can play in Croke Park and compete with a top 3 team.
Heroism all around, great start , totally lost our way, better players didn't perform, came back and in a nip and tuck contest with one of the top teams held our own.
Proud of our gallant lads today and hoping they can apply the coup de gras to an ailing Mayowestros outfit the next day.
Also seems inebriated Rhubarbs were fighting among themselves on trains tonight.
Ah well....

To think the 'experienced' heads in this team are the likes of Niall Mc and Sean Mul who have barely more than 12 months senior experience each. Both are already leaders in their lines. There is so much potential for good days ahead if we keep these lads together. They have a fearlessness that has been missing in Roscommon football for far too long.

Having to pick two of Cian Connolly, Diarmuid Murtagh and Donie Smith to start is an incredible luxury for us. Donie came on and scored a lovely point from play but that free was something out of the top drawer. When McStay subs out both Murtaghs he's putting a huge amount of trust into Donie because frees and the winning or losing of the game will fall to him, and he's rarely let us down - Salthill against the wind last year, putting the knife to Galway this year and then today. The lad is built for the pressure kicks.

Put the boot in next Monday. There were a lot of quiet performances from our star players today and hopefully they will rectify that given a second chance.

INDIANA

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 31, 2017, 01:21:43 AM
As i said before this game i had a feeling it would finish in a draw and that's how it went. As for those complaining about the quality of the game i think a few forget recent AI finals were worse and in 1998 Galway Roscommon played out 0-11 draw and back then Galway were totally written off after it.   Todays game was intriguing contest played in the rain and where defenses were on top, give me that type of game every day of the week instead of Dublin,Kerry or Mayo hammering some poorly organized team.

Neither mayo or Roscommon are in Galway 98- 01 league you left that bit out .

I think Roscommon had a great chance yesterday. Mayo are playing too many games for a team with their mileage .

INDIANA

Quote from: Syferus on July 31, 2017, 01:53:39 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 31, 2017, 01:18:50 AM
Ah well....

To think the 'experienced' heads in this team are the likes of Niall Mc and Sean Mul who have barely more than 12 months senior experience each. Both are already leaders in their lines. There is so much potential for good days ahead if we keep these lads together. They have a fearlessness that has been missing in Roscommon football for far too long.

Having to pick two of Cian Connolly, Diarmuid Murtagh and Donie Smith to start is an incredible luxury for us. Donie came on and scored a lovely point from play but that free was something out of the top drawer. When McStay subs out both Murtaghs he's putting a huge amount of trust into Donie because frees and the winning or losing of the game will fall to him, and he's rarely let us down - Salthill against the wind last year, putting the knife to Galway this year and then today. The lad is built for the pressure kicks.

Put the boot in next Monday. There were a lot of quiet performances from our star players today and hopefully they will rectify that given a second chance.

Gas how Mc Stay is now the Messiah after all the abuse he shipped from Roscommon fans

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

dublin7

Did Gay Sheerin ever apologise to Kevin McStay through the local Roscommon media after winning the Connaght final. He got the better of Rochford on the line yesterday. Moving Enda Smith into the FF line removed Mayo's best attacking threat/shooter.

Taking of Boyle around 55 min seems to be standard move this year. I assume Rochford thinks he hasn't got the legs for a full 70 min anymore. Mayo should consider using a Mickey Harte/Peter Canavan tactic with Andy Moran. Start him but substitute him after 20/25 min. Then bring him back on for the last 20/25 min. That way their best forward is on the pitch when needed at the end

omagh_gael

Where Ros went wrong yesterdsy was their lack of runners from deep. There were multiple times when players like Mulooly burst out of defence and then hit the Mayo wall just outside the 45. They then messed about until they were either turned over or played a hail Mary ball into the FF where Mayo had finally sorted themselves out.

If Ros can get runners sprinting off the ball carrier's shoulder at that 45 wall and make angled runs they will make hay. Im sure McStay has this tactic hammered into them but i didn't see it executed well at all.

You can only admire Mayo for their survival instincts this year and last. Every game we are saying they're a team that's beat but they hold on. That takes some balls. It wouldn't surprise me if we were to find the feckers in the AI final!!

Farrandeelin

Syf and Rossfan, calm down. If that was a great performance, then it must be because he were shite for so long. The 'excitement level might be up there with the best of them, but there were mistakes aplenty from both I'm sure. Can I also tell you Rossfan that unfortunately Mayo are no longer a top 3 team. Syf and others ridiculed my pessimism the other day. But sure aren't we still in it. Surely we can't play that bad again. Hmmm let me see... it's exactly the same shitty performance that Mayo have been putting in all year. Only we now know that the other teams clearly weren't as good as Ros. I must also compliment McStay who won the sideline battle hands down. Ros seem to be at Mayo's level, not quite at Kerry's yet, but ye may put it up to them.

Mayo hanging in there by a thread. Only 5 players can say that they did reasonably well, namely Harrison, Higgins (who I had doubted for his pace early on in the year) Keegan, who I voted man of the match on mayoblog, Boyle and I thought McLoughlin did a lot right when the rest of the front 8 offered very little. I'll say no more about that department because there's nothing else to say.

I'm still trying to get my head around something. I think most of us will agree that Caff was taken to the cleaners once again. You'd think that management might you know, bring someone on. Instead they swap him with Keegan at half time. The same Keegan who scored 1-3 from play in the first half. Then Caff gets a hard time at wingback because his lack of pace, which was evident against Cork happened again. You'd think that management might take him off. No, off goes Boyle. I can't remember who came on for who, but did any sub make a positive contribution at all? I mean even the Galway subs added more energy. Taking off Doherty and putting Drake with a minute or 2 to go when we needed a score...

I don't know. Ros will win the replay.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Tubberman

It's looked like this for a long while now, but I think there's no doubting it now - this Mayo team is running on fumes and have very little left. In some ways, it would be a relief and give everyone a badly needed break.
They still battle against the tide, and unfortunately they are not helped by the baffling substitutions - bringing on Coen and Drake for DOC and Doherty when we needed a score!
Fair play to Ros (apart from the thickos who spent the day jeering and booing Andy Moran), they brought massive support and their team put up a decent performance in Croker. They are still no world beaters though - they had a 7 point lead wiped out and were losing by 2 by half time. Really Mayo should have pushed on and won comfortably, but the team just can't sustain a performance for that long anymore.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

thefont

First of all well done Ros it was a good/valuable performance despite the moaning on here, you should be extremely confident going into the replay.

I think neutrals are just sick of the sight of Mayo and you are getting caught in the negative crossfire.

Onto us. People are making a lot of the fact that we are playing a lot of games and 'have milage on the clock' (i've said it myself in fairness :)) but in fact we seem to finish stronger in every single game,  our strength and conditioning is really first class.

So what is wrong with us - is it mental? It's extremely hard to know but I don't think so. Although players were ostensibly playing badly yesterday they continued to work unbelievably hard and made telling contributions despite their game being 'off'. That tells me that mentally we're in a good place.

So mentally we're ok, physically we're good why is our standard of play so uneven?

Strangely enough if we do get there I'd have no fear at all of playing Kerry or Dublin, don't understand the doom mongering there.

Kerry have looked very ordinary this year apart from the league final and were quite poor against a zero-confidence effort from Galway yesterday.

Dubiln are dublin. You have to beat them to win the AI but we match up well.

Last thing to say was how great was it to see a performance from Keith Higgins like that again. He still has it.

manfromdelmonte

the amount of fouling the Mayo backs get away with off the ball is crazy. Not one free given for that all game. Enda Smith was being dragged and pulled by Keegan all second half when trying to make runs and not one free.

And we need to talk about Cillian
took out a player with an elbow.
engineered a free when he fouled the Fintan Cregg himself, then fell to the ground when touched.

From the Bunker

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 31, 2017, 10:00:59 AM
the amount of fouling the Mayo backs get away with off the ball is crazy. Not one free given for that all game. Enda Smith was being dragged and pulled by Keegan all second half when trying to make runs and not one free.

engineered a free when he fouled the Fintan Cregg himself, then fell to the ground when touched.

Welcome to the real world! That's what happens when you play Mayo (and to a greater extent when you play Kerry or Dublin, not to even mention Tyrone)!

You either get with it or you get Bullied! Don't expect the Referee to mind you.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 31, 2017, 10:06:44 AM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 31, 2017, 10:00:59 AM

Welcome to the real world! That's what happens when you play Mayo (and to a greater extent when you play Kerry or Dublin, not to even mention Tyrone)!

You either get with it or you get Bullied! Don't expect the Referee to mind you.
that's ridiculous
whats the point of a referee then?
just let the archbishop throw the ball in and let the fun begin