All Ireland Quarter Final;Roscommon v Mayo Sunday July 30th

Started by maigheo, July 23, 2017, 01:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: Syferus on July 28, 2017, 10:06:03 PM
From the sounds of things, a dummy team. Rochford ain't fooling anyone. The differing approaches to announcing the teams is interesting in itself.

Ah, in the Modern era team sheets mean little or nothing. They are there to keep the program printers happy! And for the fading Newspapers to make stories up about! In time players will have a squad number and the team will be named before throw in.

macdanger2

Quote from: Syferus on July 28, 2017, 10:20:10 PM
Quote from: highorlow on July 28, 2017, 10:18:05 PM
I agree we are improving. The Cork game was a huge step forward. McStay is already shitting himself with his pathetic comments in the papers about not having a game for so long. If was the fresher Cork team that nearly did for us the last day.

Hopefully Rochford won't be as complacent on the line on Sunday with the subs and get the lads to put the foot on the throat this time.

It's time also for our lads to drop those GPS bras I'd say that's why Barrett was hauled ashore.

Anyhow we are back in familiar territory against a team that just got relegated and that Galway barely left a hand on.

I can see this as a 12 to 15 point win.

McStay has absolutely nothing to lose on Sunday, Rochford on the other hand..

True, anything other than a hammering and it will have been a successful season for him

highorlow

If the Roskies lose by 12 to 15 points it will be back to square 1 for ye.

The Connacht title will be long forgotten.

McStay is getting his excuses in early, poor leadership.

He also mentioned our physicality to remind the ref.

Wasn't he better to keep his trap shut?
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 28, 2017, 10:24:51 PM
From the sounds of things, a dummy team. Rochford ain't fooling anyone. The differing approaches to announcing the teams is interesting in itself.

Ah, in the Modern era team sheets mean little or nothing. They are there to keep the program printers happy! And for the fading Newspapers to make stories up about! In time players will have a squad number and the team will be named before throw in.

Apart from Davy Murray's stomach bug in the lead up to the Leitrim game and Compton's injury in training before the Galway game our week-in-advance team sheets have been totally accurate. He's named his team and it's up to the opposition to try and stop them, to me that shows quite a bit f confidence and forethought. McStay doesn't fùck about with announcing dummy teams or nonsense like that. He doesn't play the Rochy/Emmo/Smiling Jim media game of dull platitudes either.

There's a lot to like about how McStay handles himself, things other managers might do well to take note of. There's a reason the panel respects him as much as they do.

There's going to be a lot of soul-searching in Mayo if a McStay is the one who closes this chapter of Mayo football. A boxer never sees the end coming until it's too late.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 28, 2017, 07:21:26 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 28, 2017, 04:48:48 PM
I have a bad feeling about Sunday. McStay will want to prove a point with how he was treated by the Mayo CB added to the fact that this is a young Ros team who have nothing to lose. Mayo on the other hand just about alive. I said before the Cork match that we'll probably lose at quarter final stage or semi. Sadly I think it will be the former. Unfortunately it will be to Ros.

Even a manager with no history with the opposition will have something to prove. Any Manager worth his salt always has something to prove. Some times it's better having no history! As it can muddy the water and real focus of the job in hand can be lost. So it's a mixed bag really! Insightful stuff Farr saying we'd probably lose at the Quater/Semi final stage. You've been singing that song for the last 10+ years and it's getting tiresome at this stage. I'll probably get f***ed out of it by the ''In'' gang for saying this to you!
Ah, relax will ya?? ;D
It seems to me that every time Farr declares that we are well and truly fecked, the exact opposite happens! So I'm feeling a lot more confident after reading this.

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

From the Bunker

Quote from: highorlow on July 28, 2017, 10:27:02 PM

In fairness McStay is very calculated in what he says. There is rarely a wandering from the script moment (unlike the brother in law - who seems to have been gagged this year).

Cunny Funt

I do believe physicality and experience will have major baring on this game and by logic it should be a close game with Mayo winning it by a few points. Connacht titles are forgotten as soon as they are won in Mayo but i don't think regardless of the result/performance on Sunday will it be forgotten in Roscommon for a long time.

If Roscommon are to beat by a large margin i think that would say more about Roscommons lack of preparation and not focused on the game than anything else.  Cork,Derry are at a lower level than Roscommon IMO and both brought Mayo to extra time and  Galway who were beaten by 9pts by Roscommon were able to beat Mayo.

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 28, 2017, 10:44:07 PM

In fairness McStay is very calculated in what he says. There is rarely a wandering from the script moment (unlike the brother in law - who seems to have been gagged this year).

A comment by McHale from the arse end of May seems to have riled up Silly Hoe's horde today. Says it all. At this stage I think Liam McHale is more respected in Roscommon than Mayo. It's sad to see as he's a good man, coach and was a truly excellent player for his county.

Mayo have kept fools like Maughan on the inside of the bubble but decided to attack McHale. I don't understand that logic at all. It'd be like us turning on Karol Mannion or Seanie Mac.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Syferus on July 28, 2017, 10:52:18 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 28, 2017, 10:44:07 PM

A comment by McHale from the arse end of May seems to have riled up Silly Hoe's horde today. Says it all. At this stage I think Liam McHale is more respected in Roscommon than Mayo. It's sad to see as he's a good man, coach and was a truly excellent player for his county.

Mayo have kept fools like Maughan on the inside of the bubble but decided to attack McHale. I don't understand that logic at all. It'd be like us turning on Karol Mannion or Seanie Mac.

McHale should have held his station (Like McStay did) after the Mayo job fiasco. It is often better to say nothing as many people can misinterpret your pain!

mrhardyannual

I've no problem with McStay or McHale and neither owes anything to Mayo. Shame that all these threads descend into attacks on managers and players who give us such entertainment week in, week out. No chance that we could dispense with this nonsense?

highorlow

Anyone talking up Ross chances here is either spoofing or knows nothing.

Fair enough we lost to Galway but we would have won that by a comfortable 5 points with 15 men on the field.

The Ross result against Galway was a freak event but at the same time not unexpected given the flakey cockiness of the Galway crowd and what happened to them last year.

We will have this won by the 60th minute unless something bizarre happens like we get 2 men sent off.

p.s No attack here on McStay. I was just pointing out his comments on the papers today. Stating the facts. I'm not sure why he felt the need to say anything about us. Maybe he'd be better talking up his own lads and focusing on some positives. This crack in the past from managers comes across as self serving.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on July 28, 2017, 10:35:59 PM

Apart from Davy Murray's stomach bug in the lead up to the Leitrim game and Compton's injury in training before the Galway game our week-in-advance team sheets have been totally accurate. He's named his team and it's up to the opposition to try and stop them, to me that shows quite a bit f confidence and forethought. McStay doesn't fùck about with announcing dummy teams or nonsense like that. He doesn't play the Rochy/Emmo/Smiling Jim media game of dull platitudes either.

There's a lot to like about how McStay handles himself, things other managers might do well to take note of. There's a reason the panel respects him as much as they do.

There's going to be a lot of soul-searching in Mayo if a McStay is the one who closes this chapter of Mayo football. A boxer never sees the end coming until it's too late.

Soul-searching. Not among the ordinary folk there wont be. McStay was blackguarded (twice) by the Mayo executive but the ordinary fan had nothing to do with that intrigue. It might be different in other parts of the county but there is great respect for Batman and Robin where I come from and that would only increase if they pull the rug from under Mayo on Sunday.
Will that happen? I wouldn t be a bit surprised. Ros. have as good a cut at it as Derry, Clare or Cork did. And if Ros. do finish us - well it may as well be them as anybody else. When you're finished its the finishing that counts not who puts you on your hole. Finished off by Ros. would be no different now than finished by Kerry, Dublin or Tyrone.

moysider

Quote from: macdanger2 on July 28, 2017, 10:04:51 PM
Team named

David Clarke (Ballina Stephenites)
Brendan Harrison (Aghamore)
Ger Cafferkey (Ballina Stephenites)
Keith Higgins (Ballyhaunis)
Lee Keegan (Westport)
Chris Barrett (Belmullet)
Colm Boyle (Davitts)
Seamus O'Shea (Breaffy)
Tom Parsons (Charlestown)
Kevin McLoughlin (Knockmore)
Aidan O'Shea (Breaffy)
Diarmuid O'Connor (Ballintubber)
Conor Loftus (Crossmolina)
Cillian O'Connor (Ballintubber, captain)
Andy Moran (Ballaghaderreen)

Loftus wont start - Doherty will.
Parsons wont play.
Durcan probably will start.
I wouldn t be surprised if Caff. starts again even though he is all at sea last while.
Maybe DOC goes midfield for this now.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on July 28, 2017, 11:37:19 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 28, 2017, 10:35:59 PM

Soul-searching. Not among the ordinary folk there wont be. McStay was blackguarded (twice) by the Mayo executive but the ordinary fan had nothing to do with that intrigue. It might be different in other parts of the county but there is great respect for Batman and Robin where I come from and that would only increase if they pull the rug from under Mayo on Sunday.
Will that happen? I wouldn t be a bit surprised. Ros. have as good a cut at it as Derry, Clare or Cork did. And if Ros. do finish us - well it may as well be them as anybody else. When you're finished its the finishing that counts not who puts you on your hole. Finished off by Ros. would be no different now than finished by Kerry, Dublin or Tyrone.

It should be firstly noted that you come from the brothers' area of the woods. The abuse they're getting on sites like Mayo Banter, Silly Hoe's blog and boards.ie/Hogan Stand is there for all to see.

People are still trying to convince themselves overlooking them was the right choice when each passing year makes it seem like a miss every bit as big as Horan putting Kevin Keane on Murphy, subbing out Alan Freeman or Rochford starting Hennelly last year. Frankly, I'm just happy the people in my county finally see we have a decent management and that there's no chance of any autumn amateur dramatics this year.

Losing to Roscommon would be no different? The vitriol spewing from the usual excitable Mayo supporters this week indicate the opposite. It's one thing to die fighting the giants of the sport, but to do it on 'your' stage against the lowly neighbours? That will hurt and no amount of spin by the most biased supporters will change that. I can tell you it very much matters to the Mayo Rossies in Ballagh that we're put in our place on Sunday. They care because there's something more on the line than just passage to an AISF. All that pride and confidence accumulated from the last 16 years can be wiped out in an instant on Sunday.

Roscommon can deal with losing to Mayo. I'm not sure the opposite is true.

weareros

Ah now Syferus that's not nice calling the webmaster of the blog that. He puts a lot of work into that site and it must be a full time job for him moderating comments. We should all be like the two barbers Paddy Joe and John Regan on Midwest (on Facebook live the other night). Did any of ye see that - have a look at that and you won't regret it. That's what real fan banter should be like, great stories and respect for the opposition. Paddy Joe still scoring the last and first goal of the old and new millennia never gets old.