Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Crete Boom on July 25, 2017, 09:29:08 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 25, 2017, 09:03:22 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 25, 2017, 06:09:39 PM
Quote from: Crete Boom on July 25, 2017, 05:52:15 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 25, 2017, 05:26:13 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 25, 2017, 05:23:35 PM
On a positive note Mayo's point taking was fantastic on Saturday with very wides but the alternative view is that despite Mayo's impressive display in front of the post they were taken to extra time by an average div 2 side.
true
Cork were admiring the shooting most of the game too
whats Mayo's average score in normal time in this year's championship?

Mayo's average score for our 5 championship games in normal time is 18 points per game.
The Mayo average score this time last year going into the Quarter final was 20 points per game and all that was needed to win the quarter final was 13 points against a wasteful Tyrone.
interesting
so it has reduced by 2 per game?
and teams usually tighten up and score less as they progress in the championship

Well factor in we did play London who were very weak last year so this probably skewed our average a bit.

Corks defence might be weaker than London's. I know we haven't be too great ourselves but I couldn't get how poor they were defensively. Even lads like Powter who did well going forward could rarely get close enough even lay a hand on their marker.

Crete Boom

Quote from: Syferus on July 25, 2017, 09:31:42 PM
On a positive note Mayo's point taking was fantastic on Saturday with very wides but the alternative view is that despite Mayo's impressive display in front of the post they were taken to extra time by an average div 2 side.
true

Mayo's average score for our 5 championship games in normal time is 18 points per game.
The Mayo average score this time last year going into the Quarter final was 20 points per game and all that was needed to win the quarter final was 13 points against a wasteful Tyrone.
interesting
and teams usually tighten up and score less as they progress in the championship

Well factor in we did play London who were very weak last year so this probably skewed our average a bit.

Corks defence might be weaker than London's. I know we haven't be too great ourselves but I couldn't get how poor they were defensively. Even lads like Powter who did well going forward could rarely get close enough even lay a hand on their marker.

Ah come on Sy , I know you don't rate Cork but to compare Shields , Cadogan , Loughrey and Powter to whomever fills in for London on yearly basis is a stretch even for an excitable fella like yourself!!

Syferus

Quote from: Crete Boom on July 25, 2017, 09:54:46 PM
true

interesting

Ah come on Sy , I know you don't rate Cork but to compare Shields , Cadogan , Loughrey and Powter to whomever fills in for London on yearly basis is a stretch even for an excitable fella like yourself!!

Maybe not in the fantasy world where there's this huge untapped potential in those players but in terms of their loose defending and continually losing track of men inside their 45 it's hard to say they were much better than a D4 defence on Saturday. Someone like Carlow would have definitely made Mayo work harder for their scores, for example.

Doesn't matter now, they're gone and it's our job to stop Mayo now. It will be interesting to see what combination of players Mayo use to mark Dev, Smith, Connolly and the Murtaghs. There's talk of Keegan being tasked to do a man-marking job on Enda but he gives up a lot of height to Smith so it would mean he could become a liability on kick-outs.

You'd assume on paper that Ger Caff/Vaughan would be on Diarmuid Murtagh but neither have shown an ability to be tight enough markers for that job IMHO. Higgins?

Crete Boom

Quote from: Syferus on July 25, 2017, 10:05:59 PM
true

interesting

Maybe not in the fantasy world where there's this huge untapped potential in those players but in terms of their loose defending and continually losing track of men inside their 45 it's hard to say they were much better than a D4 defence on Saturday. Someone like Carlow would have definitely made Mayo work harder for their scores, for example.

Doesn't matter now, they're gone and it's our job to stop Mayo now. It will be interesting to see what combination of players Mayo use to mark Dev, Smith, Connolly and the Murtaghs. There's talk of Keegan being tasked to do a man-marking job on Enda but he gives up a lot of height to Smith so it would mean he could become a liability on kick-outs.

You'd assume on paper that Ger Caff/Vaughan would be on Diarmuid Murtagh but neither have shown an ability to be tight enough markers for that job IMHO. Higgins?

Higgins is a great footballer, great defender and a great reader of the game but a good man marker he has never really been in my opinion. Harrison , Barrett & Caff along with Keegan would be the best man markers there at the moment but Ger is bang out of form and shouldn't start to be honest and Barrett is needed at CHB to shore up the centre. I think you will see Vaughan out around the middle so big decisions for Rochford in who picks up who and where etc.. If Keegan does a man marking job it likely could be one of the Murtaghs as much as Enda Smith.

Captain Obvious

I know you don't rate Cork but to compare Shields , Cadogan , Loughrey and Powter to whomever fills in for London on yearly basis is a stretch even for an excitable fella like yourself!!

Loughrey going off injured early was a big loss to Cork, Shields was a good defender when Cork were good about 6 or 7 years ago but against Kerry in the Munster final and against Mayo last Saturday he was worse than useless. Was said Cadogan started his first match in a year and it showed last Saturday, Powter going off injured in extra time another big loss.

larryin89

Things not good in mayo camp, more injuries rumoured too. Not good lads not good at all.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Syferus

Quote from: larryin89 on July 25, 2017, 10:51:14 PM
Things not good in mayo camp, more injuries rumoured too. Not good lads not good at all.

Oh Jesus you've really it sold us on it now Larrin. Sure we mightn't even bother turning up it will be that easy..

Rossfan

:) ;) :D ;D :-*
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

weareros

Quote from: Rossfan on July 26, 2017, 01:21:26 AM
:) ;) :D ;D :-*

I am hearing terrible exhaustion in Mayo camp. James Horan needed oxygen after speaking on over a thousand different podcasts this week. The man has been giving his all for the Mayo cause, on satelite, audio, traditional and new media. David Brady too is reported to have pulled a muscle in his jaw, as his valued opinion was sought everywhere. Supposedly there's relief in the Kerry and Dublin camps because there's been great worry that the Mayo media pundits are trying to claim the number one spot. Rumours that they are over the hill have been greatly exaggerated. Even Martin Carney is said to be back to his best.... on Midwest.

Rossfan

Farrandeelin

Good man larryin. You have them hopping up and down like mad. On a more football related note what's the genuine feeling in Roscommon? Is there a bullish mood brewing thinking that the team will give Mayo the knockout blow; or do you think that there's still a possibility that Mayo might do the business once again, despite the tired legs and high mileage?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ballinaman

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 26, 2017, 07:35:07 AM
Good man larryin. You have them hopping up and down like mad. On a more football related note what's the genuine feeling in Roscommon? Is there a bullish mood brewing thinking that the team will give Mayo the knockout blow; or do you think that there's still a possibility that Mayo might do the business once again, despite the tired legs and high mileage?
Are you asking them are they feeling bullish or sheepish?

Ballaghman

My Ros buddies feel they have a great chance. We're tired and on the slide and they are on the up with nothing to lose is the general feeling they have from talking to them. One or two I've spoken to feel we'll have too much power and experience for them but generally there is a confidence among the Rossies.

Rossfan

Lar Naparka

Quote from: ballinaman on July 26, 2017, 07:40:03 AM
Are you asking them are they feeling bullish or sheepish?
;D ;D
Yeah, we'll shear them hoors alright.
If any of them pesky Rossies are entertaining grand notions they should remember that they were feeling the same way about Galway in last year's Connacht Final and look what happened to them?
I can't see them beating Mayo because of the Croke Park factor.
Mayo play well at Headquarters. They always have since Horan arrived on the scene and even when beaten, they fought to the very end. Croke Park holds no fear for them and they always rise to the occasion while the sheepophiles know sweet feck all about what lies ahead.
Mayo by at least five!
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi