All Ireland Quarter Final;Roscommon v Mayo Sunday July 30th

Started by maigheo, July 23, 2017, 01:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manning18

Seems like we've a few amatuer Gambling experts in here. How about you state what you think the true odds should be on all 3 selections, to 100%, instead of spouting about disrespect. Throw in what the handicap should be for good measure

joemamas

Quote from: joemamas on July 25, 2017, 01:46:36 PM
Quote from: Mac2 on July 25, 2017, 12:30:12 PM
Looks like Parsons is out, going to be a major loss, with Vaughan probably to come in, he's not great cover for that area.

If that is true, then the odds as daft, and the oddsmakers are purely basing it on county reputations not on any fundamental analysis.

Tom Parsons has been immense this year (odd wayward shot aside), his fitness has been off the charts and he has still been going strong at the end of extra times, and he has also been one of two or three go to guys for Clarke for kick outs.
IMO, a potential game changer as our mobility and fielding options are severely impacted. Nobody expects Seamus O Shea to last 70 mins any more, and in a full blown championship game in Croke Park he wont.  I feel that without Barry Moran and to a lesser extent Conor O Shea our options around the middle are incredibly limited. We don't have much cover for that position right now.

Does anybody want to hazard a guess, what will our midfield look like with twenty minutes to go, assuming Tom is not fit. Kind of scary TBH.

Should have added that his distribution has improved significantly over the past few years, he was involved in a lot of scores last Saturday.

Blowitupref

Quote from: twohands!!! on July 25, 2017, 01:17:42 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on July 25, 2017, 12:57:25 PM
Why are Roscommon 3/1 to win this game? Mayo have looked a jaded side in the qualifiers needing extra time to get past Cork and Derry. Roscommon are being heavily underestimated here I think as Mayo look to be largely a team in decline.

Roscommon have played 9 games this year and won 3 of them.

In the league they lost to Dublin, Kerry, Donegal, Monaghan, Mayo, Tyrone.
The one team they beat was Cavan, who were also relegated.

They beat Leitrim by 17 points, which sounds impressive but Carlow beat them by 7 points in the qualifier so it's clear that Leitrim were going no-where this year.
Leitrim playing in Division 4 won 4 games and lost 3 games and their one championship win was narrowly getting by London.

The beat an abject Galway in the Connacht final - watch the game back and see 1) how many scores came from the awful Galway kickouts and 2) how Galway dropped the heads and lost their discipline in the final quarter. It's one thing to beat a team playing well; it's a whole different story when the opposition are awful.

Mayo as a comparison beat Kerry, Tyrone, Donegal and Roscommon in the league. They lost to Dublin, Cavan and Monaghan.
In the champion they beat Sligo, lost by a point to Galway, beat Derry (despite one of the worst shooting displays in living memory), beat Clare and beat Cork.

Mayo played 12 won 8 lost 4 this year.
Also if you look at the 4 loses, bar the drubbing by Dublin, they lost to Galway by a point, Cavan by 2 and Monaghan by 2, which suggests that they are a resilient side who will battle to the end.

That's just the evidence of this year - throw in the evidence of the last few years and what Mayo have achieved versus what Roscommon have and it's clear why Roscommon are 3/1.
Personally I think 3/1 is too short - I would have said Roscommon were more like a 4/1 chance.
All too often in sport (especially in the GAA because of the low volume of matches) too much significance is placed on a team's last match as opposed to their most recent run of games.

In fairness I think a bit of that Galway awfulness might had something to with the Roscommon performance on the day and how they had their homework done. Galway weren't as awful as Donegal were on Saturday and i don't think reading into Roscommons league form this year is wise as McStay and his management have said they took the gamble not to put the same effort into it as last year when they beat Kerry,Donegal away and hammered more or less the same Cork team that put it up to Mayo last Saturday.

What should give Roscommon hope is Monaghan,Cavan were capable of beating Mayo away this year against the odds,Galway weren't expected to beat Mayo again and Derry,Cork two Div 2 sides who won few matches this year both brought Mayo to extra time and could easily have won.   

Evidence of last 3 Mayo v Roscommon championship games is two of them Mayo won by the skin of their teeth in 2011 and 2014. How competitive this game will be depends how focused Roscommon will be after winning their first Connacht title for 7 year and how they handle the Croke park occasion as very few of the starters have played a senior championship game in Croke park before nevermind winning there.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Syferus

Sure what else would we be at Sunday? Great to see.

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

oliverkelly

Quote from: seafoid on July 25, 2017, 03:14:37 PM
Did the Ros team change much since last year? Was last year's full back not setting up a business or something ?

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/i-dont-fear-mayo-we-have-beaten-them-at-underage-mcmanus-35964367.html

Last years full back Neil Collins is in New York, Took a year out minimum is trying to get a fashion business off the group, Cryptic clique its called.

He was injured at the tail end of last year anyway badly tearing his hamstring . He was probably our best defender and is a massive loss

mrhardyannual

The question of a tiring Mayo team, miles on the clock etc and the effects of playing extra time, keep cropping up. On the other hand county teams are said to train like professionals so you would imagine that players should be able to bounce back quite easily. Mental toughness is the main ingredient required and Mayo seem to have that.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 25, 2017, 02:16:32 PM

In fairness I think a bit of that Galway awfulness might had something to with the Roscommon performance on the day and how they had their homework done. Galway weren't as awful as Donegal were on Saturday and i don't think reading into Roscommons league form this year is wise as McStay and his management have said they took the gamble not to put the same effort into it as last year when they beat Kerry,Donegal away and hammered more or less the same Cork team that put it up to Mayo last Saturday.

What should give Roscommon hope is Monaghan,Cavan were capable of beating Mayo away this year against the odds,Galway weren't expected to beat Mayo again and Derry,Cork two Div 2 sides who won few matches this year both brought Mayo to extra time and could easily have won.   

Evidence of last 3 Mayo v Roscommon championship games is two of them Mayo won by the skin of their teeth in 2011 and 2014. How competitive this game will be depends how focused Roscommon will be after winning their first Connacht title for 7 year and how they handle the Croke park occasion as very few of the starters have played a senior championship game in Croke park before nevermind winning there.

To their credit Roscommon took advantage and made hay of Galway's awfulness but to me more of the errors in the Galway game were of the self-inflicted type as opposed to those that come about due to good Roscommon play.

I'm always very sceptical about managers coming out after a poor league campaign and saying they weren't putting 100% effort into it.

What does this even mean? How exactly does a management team go about this?

Dublin as one example were hardly going all guns blazing in the league and they still got to a final.

Cunny Funt

Blowitupref

Quote from: twohands!!! on July 25, 2017, 03:48:02 PM

To their credit Roscommon took advantage and made hay of Galway's awfulness but to me more of the errors in the Galway game were of the self-inflicted type as opposed to those that come about due to good Roscommon play.

I'm always very sceptical about managers coming out after a poor league campaign and saying they weren't putting 100% effort into it.

Dublin as one example were hardly going all guns blazing in the league and they still got to a final.
From the off Galway were forced into a number of mistakes in the Connacht final due to Roscommons high pressure game. Maybe Galway weren't expecting that type of intensity from Roscommon but i think the rossies deserve a bit more credit than just putting it down to Galway awfulness, IMO they were made look awful more than anything else.

Dublin have the strength in depth to do as they like in the league didn't their 3rd string team win the O Byrne cup? Roscommon especially with their huge turn over of players this year don't have that luxury.  Donegal,Cavan put a lot of effort into the league and both had very little left in the tank for championship football this summer Monaghans form since the league has dipped also.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

seafoid

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 25, 2017, 04:31:40 PM
Quote from: twohands!!! on July 25, 2017, 03:48:02 PM

From the off Galway were forced into a number of mistakes in the Connacht final due to Roscommons high pressure game. Maybe Galway weren't expected that type of intensity from Roscommon but i think the rossies deserve a bit more credit than just putting it down to Galway awfulness, IMO they were made look awful more than anything else.

Dublin have the strength in depth to do as they like in the league didn't their 3rd string team win the O Byrne cup? Roscommon especially with their huge turn over of players this year don't have that luxury.  Donegal,Cavan put a lot of effort into the league and both had very little left in the tank for championship football this summer Monaghans form since the league has dipped also.
I think it's more like Donegal and Cavan don't have the players or the system at the moment. Neither did much in the league. Monaghan are a bit off their peak of a year or 2 ago.

Ros targeted Galway's weak point which was the kickout. They scored 1-3 from it.
that gave them the momentum to win the match.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU