All Ireland Quarter Final;Roscommon v Mayo Sunday July 30th

Started by maigheo, July 23, 2017, 01:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omagh_gael

Quote from: rosnarun on July 25, 2017, 10:13:44 AM
Quote from: omagh_gael on July 25, 2017, 09:56:03 AM
Saw this on Twitter earlier:

Mayo bidding for 7th successive All-Ireland semi. 11 players that played in first one in 2011 could feature v Ros. Leaned heavily on them.

That's a stat that really sums up the miles on the Mayo clock. The Rossie ladeens to run the legs of the aul lads to set up a semi with Kerry. Persimmon by 3 for me.
why is it seen as a liability that mayo have truly class players who have stood the test of time.
i remember a time when Tyrone has to substitute canavan in and out cause they had no one worthwhile on the bench .
that worked out ok for them

We in Tyrone know all about the fading of a special team. Seven years after our first win in 03 and our team was fading badly. Defeats against Cork and Dublin in 09 and 10 were the beginning of the end for that team. They limped on in hope but never got back to the summit.

If I was from Ros I'd be delighted to have drawn Mayo. If they've any ambitions to make the next step then the sight of the green and red should have them massively zoned in.

Rossfan

I hear tell of massive queues for tickets at Co Board offices in Ros this morning.

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Mac2

Looks like Parsons is out, going to be a major loss, with Vaughan probably to come in, he's not great cover for that area.

yellowcard

Why are Roscommon 3/1 to win this game? Mayo have looked a jaded side in the qualifiers needing extra time to get past Cork and Derry. Roscommon are being heavily underestimated here I think as Mayo look to be largely a team in decline.

RedHand88

Quote from: yellowcard on July 25, 2017, 12:57:25 PM
Why are Roscommon 3/1 to win this game? Mayo have looked a jaded side in the qualifiers needing extra time to get past Cork and Derry. Roscommon are being heavily underestimated here I think as Mayo look to be largely a team in decline.

Because they beat Leitrim and a Galway team who just never got going. Also just after a terrible league campaign.

Syferus

Quote from: RedHand88 on July 25, 2017, 12:59:47 PM

Because they beat Leitrim and a Galway team who just never got going. Also just after a terrible league campaign.

We do suck.

Rossfan

3/1 because Bookmakers think we haven't a hope.
Because we only shocked Galway who in their arrogance were thinking of their semi final v Kerry.
Because most media etc don't know the names of most of our players
Because we're seen as part of Ireland's Gaza Strip
And lots of other insulting stuff..   
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

twohands!!!

Roscommon have played 9 games this year and won 3 of them.

In the league they lost to Dublin, Kerry, Donegal, Monaghan, Mayo, Tyrone.
The one team they beat was Cavan, who were also relegated.

They beat Leitrim by 17 points, which sounds impressive but Carlow beat them by 7 points in the qualifier so it's clear that Leitrim were going no-where this year.
Leitrim playing in Division 4 won 4 games and lost 3 games and their one championship win was narrowly getting by London.

The beat an abject Galway in the Connacht final - watch the game back and see 1) how many scores came from the awful Galway kickouts and 2) how Galway dropped the heads and lost their discipline in the final quarter. It's one thing to beat a team playing well; it's a whole different story when the opposition are awful.

Mayo as a comparison beat Kerry, Tyrone, Donegal and Roscommon in the league. They lost to Dublin, Cavan and Monaghan.
In the champion they beat Sligo, lost by a point to Galway, beat Derry (despite one of the worst shooting displays in living memory), beat Clare and beat Cork.

Mayo played 12 won 8 lost 4 this year.
Also if you look at the 4 loses, bar the drubbing by Dublin, they lost to Galway by a point, Cavan by 2 and Monaghan by 2, which suggests that they are a resilient side who will battle to the end.

That's just the evidence of this year - throw in the evidence of the last few years and what Mayo have achieved versus what Roscommon have and it's clear why Roscommon are 3/1.
Personally I think 3/1 is too short - I would have said Roscommon were more like a 4/1 chance.
All too often in sport (especially in the GAA because of the low volume of matches) too much significance is placed on a team's last match as opposed to their most recent run of games.

seafoid

Quote from: twohands!!! on July 25, 2017, 01:17:42 PM

Roscommon have played 9 games this year and won 3 of them.

In the league they lost to Dublin, Kerry, Donegal, Monaghan, Mayo, Tyrone.
The one team they beat was Cavan, who were also relegated.

They beat Leitrim by 17 points, which sounds impressive but Carlow beat them by 7 points in the qualifier so it's clear that Leitrim were going no-where this year.
Leitrim playing in Division 4 won 4 games and lost 3 games and their one championship win was narrowly getting by London.

The beat an abject Galway in the Connacht final - watch the game back and see 1) how many scores came from the awful Galway kickouts and 2) how Galway dropped the heads and lost their discipline in the final quarter. It's one thing to beat a team playing well; it's a whole different story when the opposition are awful.

Mayo as a comparison beat Kerry, Tyrone, Donegal and Roscommon in the league. They lost to Dublin, Cavan and Monaghan.
In the champion they beat Sligo, lost by a point to Galway, beat Derry (despite one of the worst shooting displays in living memory), beat Clare and beat Cork.

Mayo played 12 won 8 lost 4 this year.
Also if you look at the 4 loses, bar the drubbing by Dublin, they lost to Galway by a point, Cavan by 2 and Monaghan by 2, which suggests that they are a resilient side who will battle to the end.

That's just the evidence of this year - throw in the evidence of the last few years and what Mayo have achieved versus what Roscommon have and it's clear why Roscommon are 3/1.
Personally I think 3/1 is too short - I would have said Roscommon were more like a 4/1 chance.
All too often in sport (especially in the GAA because of the low volume of matches) too much significance is placed on a team's last match as opposed to their most recent run of games.
Mayo also had a man sent off in the first half against Galway
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on July 25, 2017, 01:01:37 PM

We do suck.
And Shannon
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Syferus

Quote from: seafoid on July 25, 2017, 01:21:58 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 25, 2017, 01:01:37 PM

We do suck.
And Shannon

Donie isn't involved this year.

weareros

Ah now in fairness, they've reduced the odds from 4/1 to 3/1. We have not won a championship game in Croke Park since that amazing semi-final win over Armagh in 1980. 37 effin years. Put it this way, Tony McManus was a young garsoon that day and played mighty stuff to bring us back from the dead. Tony is an auld lad now and his young lad will be playing on Sunday. That's how long we are waiting for a win in Croke Park, when in 1980 we played some spellbinding football and looked to have the world at our feet. Mayo now win there regularly - every year they have big wins up there. They came within a whisker of winning the All-Ireland last year. Indeed, I'd say both Dublin and Kerry still fear them. They are rightly favourites. However, it's a wonderful opportunity for our very young team to make history.

Beffs

Quote from: Rossfan on July 25, 2017, 01:02:01 PM
3/1 because Bookmakers think we haven't a hope.
Because we only shocked Galway who in their arrogance were thinking of their semi final v Kerry.
Because most media etc don't know the names of most of our players
Because we're seen as part of Ireland's Gaza Strip
And lots of other insulting stuff..

Because Rosscommon have done sweet fc*k all in Croke Park, since Moses was in short trousers. When you have accomplished something in HQ that merits respect, you'll get it. Simple as. Don't be so sensitive.

joemamas

Quote from: Mac2 on July 25, 2017, 12:30:12 PM
Looks like Parsons is out, going to be a major loss, with Vaughan probably to come in, he's not great cover for that area.

If that is true, then the odds as daft, and the oddsmakers are purely basing it on county reputations not on any fundamental analysis.

Tom Parsons has been immense this year (odd wayward shot aside), his fitness has been off the charts and he has still been going strong at the end of extra times, and he has also been one of two or three go to guys for Clarke for kick outs.
IMO, a potential game changer as our mobility and fielding options are severely impacted. Nobody expects Seamus O Shea to last 70 mins any more, and in a full blown championship game in Croke Park he wont.  I feel that without Barry Moran and to a lesser extent Conor O Shea our options around the middle are incredibly limited. We don't have much cover for that position right now.

Does anybody want to hazard a guess, what will our midfield look like with twenty minutes to go, assuming Tom is not fit. Kind of scary TBH.

Fuzzman

Jeepers Mayo seem to get a lot of drawn matches over the past few years.
They've already went to extra time with two Div 2 teams already this year and the last 3 years they had draws with Kerry and Dublin and lost the replays each time.
As Brolly said on Sunday night, they provide some entertainment value for the neutral.

On another note, Tyrone won Sam in 2005 playing 10 games including beating the Ulster, Leinster and Munster champions. Could Mayo do something similar this year playing 8 games?