All Ireland Quarter Final;Roscommon v Mayo Sunday July 30th

Started by maigheo, July 23, 2017, 01:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weareros

I would say the majority of Roscommon supporters have condemned the booing by a minority. Andy and his family are great people and the booing was never acceptable. However, what's a little aggravating is no recognition from the holier than thou Mayo fans (hello Martin Carney) of the booing on their side, which is also frequent at McHale park. They subjected Donie Smith to a full minute of jeers leading up to his free while Cillian O'Connor did not have to endure the same for his last minute free. They jeered nearly every decision by the ref, even jeered Cillian's yellow card when some neutral commentators saw it as a premeditated blow to the head that deserved red. To quote the great Willie Shakespare: physician heal thyself.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Rossfan on August 01, 2017, 11:19:18 AM
Quote from: highorlow on July 28, 2017, 11:07:40 PM
Anyone talking up Ross chances here is either spoofing or knows nothing.

We will have this won by the 60th minute unless something bizarre happens like we get 2 men sent off.

::)

Was Highorlow serious or was he just looking for a cheap rise?

As i said before Sundays game the only way Roscommon will be beaten by a large margin is for Roscommons to have a lack of preparation and not focused on the game more than anything Mayo would do.

PW Nally

Quote from: weareros on August 01, 2017, 06:12:49 PM
I would say the majority of Roscommon supporters have condemned the booing by a minority. Andy and his family are great people and the booing was never acceptable. However, what's a little aggravating is no recognition from the holier than thou Mayo fans (hello Martin Carney) of the booing on their side, which is also frequent at McHale park. They subjected Donie Smith to a full minute of jeers leading up to his free while Cillian O'Connor did not have to endure the same for his last minute free. They jeered nearly every decision by the ref, even jeered Cillian's yellow card when some neutral commentators saw it as a premeditated blow to the head that deserved red. To quote the great Willie Shakespare: physician heal thyself.
Agree in the main, really dislike the booing regardless of situation. Booing a free taker is nearly normalised at this stage unfortunately, booing an individual who plays the game as clean and fair as Andy is lowering the bar again.

Syferus

Quote from: PW Nally on August 01, 2017, 07:06:42 PM
Agree in the main, really dislike the booing regardless of situation. Booing a free taker is nearly normalised at this stage unfortunately, booing an individual who plays the game as clean and fair as Andy is lowering the bar again.

Mayo themselves did it to Diarmuid Connolly and he wasn't actively winding up the crowd. This is all part of the usual Mayo whinging narrative everyone is well used to at this stage, never any self-reflection, just whinge.

Rossfan

Anyone hazard a guess at the crowd?
A lot may have holidays booked and the Rhubarbs' pockets may be getting light after trips to  Ennis, Limerick and Dublin in recent weeks.
Will game be on TV?.

I'll hazard a guess at 33k.
Saturdays games heading for a full house.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Blowitupref

Quote from: Rossfan on August 01, 2017, 07:44:18 PM
Anyone hazard a guess at the crowd?
A lot may have holidays booked and the Rhubarbs' pockets may be getting light after trips to  Ennis, Limerick and Dublin in recent weeks.
Will game be on TV?.

I'll hazard a guess at 33k.
Saturdays games heading for a full house.
Yes about half what was at Sundays game.  Game is live on RTE again.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

From the Bunker

Quote from: Syferus on August 01, 2017, 07:22:33 PM

Mayo themselves did it to Diarmuid Connolly and he wasn't actively winding up the crowd. This is all part of the usual Mayo whinging narrative everyone is well used to at this stage, never any self-reflection, just whinge.

That's the average football fan I afraid! To single out one group is short sighted. I personally think the whole booing thing has been over stated. Cheering (Jeering) antagonisingly at opposition players isn't much better and I don't hear anyone speaking up about that! It's part of what a player has to put up with. If he is strong enough it won't matter - if he is very strong it will drive him on!

macdanger2

The booing from the mayo fans for Smith's free was very poor and doesn't reflect well on mayo fans at all.

Your point re Cillian is complete bollix though

mrhardyannual

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 01, 2017, 08:02:40 PM

That's the average football fan I afraid! To single out one group is short sighted. I personally think the whole booing thing has been over stated. Cheering (Jeering) antagonisingly at opposition players isn't much better and I don't hear anyone speaking up about that! It's part of what a player has to put up with. If he is strong enough it won't matter - if he is very strong it will drive him on!

I have to agree. Booing is nothing new and unfortunately it is getting more prevalent. Like sledging, it adds nothing to the game and says more about the character of the person who involves themselves in it than the target. Good players will ignore both. However, I won't be standing and clapping in the seventh minute no more than I'll be roaring at the behest of some self appointed cheerleader who decides to stand at some point in the game, roar" Mayo" and wonders aloud "Shout! f**k ye. What are ye here for?".

macdanger2

Quote from: Rudi on August 01, 2017, 04:16:22 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 01, 2017, 03:24:38 PM
Glad to see Paul Earley condemning it, the idea that Andy brought it on himself is nonsense.
Behaviour of the lowest class and anyone who condones it has zero class also

Again no analysis of the game, which was not high in quality, but very entertaining none the less. Its a moan fest by the Mayo ones, next week what will it be, God only knows. Yer an awful shower of whingers. People are sick of all the doom and whinging coming from Mayo. Is it all lonely house-wives on here and the Mayo Gaa Blog with nothing better to do?

You seem to be familiar enough with the whinging yourself there

macdanger2

Unlikely to happen but I'd like to see something like this starting:

Clarke
Harrison Vaughan Higgins
Boyle Barrett Durcan
Keegan Parsons
McLoughlin AOS COC
Andy Loftus Doc

Subs: SOS, Coen, DOC, Kirby, Nally, Boland

Lack of pace in the HF line would be a concern but with Doc and McLoughlin funnelling back and Aidan playing between the two 45s, I think we'd be ok

whitey

Connolly seriously assaulted several Mayo players during the drawn game but didn't get pulled by the ref. When he was finally sent off after punching Keegan in the face mumerous times,he then issued threats to several Mayo players as he was exiting the field. I thought no the Mayo supporter had plenty of reason to boo him

criostlinn

In other words STFU and stop embarrassing us

Hopefully the earlier throw in will give some of the thick asses less chance to get juiced up before the match.