Hurling 2024

Started by seafoid, January 01, 2023, 08:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

didlyi

I feel sorry for refs these days. The amount of holding and pulling and dragging is worse than ever and the throw handpass is the culprit yet not one pundit is calling it out. There are ways of making the game easier for the refs if we just have a deep dive into the tackle in hurling and the handpass. Constant blaming the refs is just kicking the can down the road.

Kidder81

The tackle very difficult to ref now, and teams have got clever to it with all the talk this year about dangerous frontal tackles , with contact the arms are going up into the air and throwing themselves back to the ground. Hoping for a red in many cases for the tackler

Saffron_sam20

advantage rule in gaa is terrible, surely if a player passes the ball and his team continue on then that is the advantage? I hate the 5 second rule make it easy for refs, if the player gets the ball away and the team are still attacking then thats the advantage.

naka

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 10, 2023, 10:51:54 AM
KK were cuter at winning frees and at not giving them away. Limerick were the same. I really wasn't overly impressed by the ref yesterday and I'm a neutral.

That's the difference in the best teams though. Clare were a bit naive in places. KK got away with emptying Conlon a few times.
thought the ref was poor enough yesterday and  as a neutral seemed to give  kilkenny easier frees.
the call back in the second half when  calre scored  a goal was harsh i thought given he had allowed teh advantage rule to develop in other circumstances
all in all though it was some save at the end

Last Man

Think Lohan and the boys will lose more sleep over the things they could actually effect, hope they keep at it for next year. They given powerful value this season.

seafoid

Richie Hogan has been on the go since 2007

didlyi

Quote from: seafoid on July 10, 2023, 12:24:56 PM

I thought Richie was a bit off the pace even though he won a very important free that Clare will be sickened to have given away...like many other free they gave away.

Kidder81

Quote from: didlyi on July 10, 2023, 12:51:27 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 10, 2023, 12:24:56 PM

I thought Richie was a bit off the pace even though he won a very important free that Clare will be sickened to have given away...like many other free they gave away.

Yeah he was going nowhere and obviously doesent have the legs anymore so not sure what the Clare players were expecting him to do

Franko

Quote from: Saffron_sam20 on July 10, 2023, 11:55:25 AM
advantage rule in gaa is terrible, surely if a player passes the ball and his team continue on then that is the advantage? I hate the 5 second rule make it easy for refs, if the player gets the ball away and the team are still attacking then thats the advantage.

The clue is in the name.

The alternative is a free shot at goal from wherever the foul occurs, so in order for any 'advantage' to accrue, the outcome of the play during the 5 seconds must be at least equivalent to this.

Just continuing to attack isn't necessarily any advantage.

Two Hands FFS

Actually thought that could have been a red card. Shoulder from Ryan to the head.
But Lohan will blame the referee. It wasn't the referee in the Munster final who left the same fella on Gillane for over 50 minutes and on a yellow card, or randomly played a sweeper in the first half.

marty34

Quote from: Two Hands FFS on July 10, 2023, 01:11:17 PM
Actually thought that could have been a red card. Shoulder from Ryan to the head.
But Lohan will blame the referee. It wasn't the referee in the Munster final who left the same fella on Gillane for over 50 minutes and on a yellow card, or randomly played a sweeper in the first half.

Or played a sweeper in the first half to not concede goals...yet went toe-to-toe with Limerick. Strange decision.

Milltown Row2

I watched it and bar maybe one or two calls he didn't call I didn't see much wrong, that's me just watching it as a fan of hurling. These games are set at a frenetic pace, the intensity is just breakneck pace.

Yes, having another look at the 5 seconds call was maybe tight, the call for Cody's possible should for penalty the ref got it right.

Kilkenny always have played on the line of, foul or no foul, over zealous but not enough to call

Some ref's like it physical others not
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

marty34

Question MR 2.

If Nicky Quaid went down with a contact lense issue - although clearly there was nothing wrong and he was just cleverly slowing things down as Limerick were 6 pts down but Galway had the momentum.

It was clever play acting by an experienced operator.

What is the rule there? Can a ref just say get up, there's nothing wrong and I know what you're at?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: marty34 on July 10, 2023, 07:11:52 PM
Question MR 2.

If Nicky Quaid went down with a contact lense issue - although clearly there was nothing wrong and he was just cleverly slowing things down as Limerick were 6 pts down but Galway had the momentum.

What is the rule there? Can a ref just say get up, there's nothing wrong and I know what you're at?

We all know what he was at and in fact you can see the ref having a word with him.

He could do what ever he wants and deal with the repercussions afterwards, he could book him for feigned injury, he could throw the ball in on the twenty one for not pucking the ball out when instructed.

Problem is he takes helmet off claims an injury play stops regardless, ref has a word gets a booking or hop ball and the play of slowing it down is still achieved!

Having an injury sin bin won't have desired effect either as it's wasting even more time!! Fullback takes keepers jersey off faffs about and we are no further on.

I'm not a doctor and I'll not take the responsibility of a fake injury or real one. If play is in front of an injured player I'll play on, though the moaning of "head injury, he could be dying" ( I shit you not some shouted that for a wrist injury!!)

But those things I've mentioned are what the ref can do
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NAG1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 10, 2023, 07:39:56 PM
Quote from: marty34 on July 10, 2023, 07:11:52 PM
Question MR 2.

We all know what he was at and in fact you can see the ref having a word with him.

He could do what ever he wants and deal with the repercussions afterwards, he could book him for feigned injury, he could throw the ball in on the twenty one for not pucking the ball out when instructed.

Problem is he takes helmet off claims an injury play stops regardless, ref has a word gets a booking or hop ball and the play of slowing it down is still achieved!

Having an injury sin bin won't have desired effect either as it's wasting even more time!! Fullback takes keepers jersey off faffs about and we are no further on.

I'm not a doctor and I'll not take the responsibility of a fake injury or real one. If play is in front of an injured player I'll play on, though the moaning of "head injury, he could be dying" ( I shit you not some shouted that for a wrist injury!!)

But those things I've mentioned are what the ref can do

Correct Mr2 not much the Ref can do in this situation.

It needs looked at from a rules perspective, the umpires are there and can see if there has been contact with the GK to cause an injury of any description. If this is not the case and the GK deliberately takes the helmet off, slowing the game down then I think a 21 yard free as a consequence would soon put a stop to it.

Watch how quickly the helmet would go back on in that situation. Even the threat of this as a punishment makes it too big a risk for a GK to take.