UK General Election 2017

Started by Eamonnca1, April 18, 2017, 07:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rois

Quote from: seafoid on June 13, 2017, 07:27:11 PM
Catholics in NI have no parliamentary representation. Very strange.
You've picked the word Catholic for a reason - prob for a reaction.

As a Catholic I don't need parliamentary representation. As a nationalist, I did hope for some.
I was reading that Mark Durkan, like Seamus Mallon, was a man who got stuck into the detail of legislation and would have "had the backs" of nationalists in that regard. That's now missing.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Rossfan on June 13, 2017, 07:56:59 PM
They have.
The 7 SF people can still represent their Constituents very well without swearing oaths to a Sectarian Monarchy or sitting in a crowded Chamber going Hee haw with 650 other unruly schoolkids.

They don't represent me and never will.

Owen Brannigan

Analysis of voting in GE 2017 by occupation:

BennyCake

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on June 13, 2017, 01:53:06 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on June 13, 2017, 01:48:22 PM
What's the deal with gay marriage in the North? Can there be a referendum on it? The DUP are onto a loser with that, and will look like dinosaurs in britain because of it. So, could there get-out be a referendum? I mean, it's only a matter of time before it happens anyway.

A simple way out would be to do a deal with May to bring in legislation for re-defining marriage and an ILA.  Then they have hands off but taking a UK view on matters.

Well that's another thing.

The DUP harp on about being part of the union, and being United with the rest of Britain. Yet gay marriage is available in Britain but they don't want it in the North. I thought they want to be in a UNITED Kingdom? If they think differently to the rest of this Union, they're obviously so far removed from having anything in common with the rest of Britain.

red hander

Quote from: Rois on June 13, 2017, 08:20:32 PM

As a Catholic I don't need parliamentary representation. As a nationalist, I did hope for some.
I was reading that Mark Durkan, like Seamus Mallon, was a man who got stuck into the detail of legislation and would have "had the backs" of nationalists in that regard. That's now missing.

Serious question. Can you give me any examples of this and how it benefited nationalists one iota?

Avondhu star

Quote from: red hander on June 13, 2017, 10:32:16 PM

Serious question. Can you give me any examples of this and how it benefited nationalists one iota?
Put away the Dutch Gold and check it out yourself
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

T Fearon

I think you'll find if you live in a Constituency with a Unionist MP he or she will adequately represent and help you.A friend of mine,a catholic nationalist, wrote to Enoch Powell no less when he was South Down MP,with a minor problem.Two days later,Enoch actuallly turned up at his house and couldn't have been more helpful.

A DUP MP once told me privately that NI doesn't count at Westminster.Bet he has changed his tune.

red hander

Quote from: Avondhu star on June 13, 2017, 10:59:33 PM
Quote from: red hander on June 13, 2017, 10:32:16 PM

Put away the Dutch Gold and check it out yourself

Well, why don't you tell me then? BTW, hope you're recovering well from your humour bypass op

Rois

Serious answer, I'll find examples. Seamus Mallon gave an example of his input on Marian Finucane show a few Sundays ago on Radio 1. It was with regard to release of prisoners I think, and he'd identified an incorrect clause in the readings of the legislation that required amendments favouring nationalists.
I was just looking at Hansard records of Mark Durkan in Westminster (really interesting read in parts). He took a very strong position (numerous times)on the reading of draft legislation on NI welfare reform and on dealing with the past. He was also engaged in seeking legislative protection for the role of Ireland in NI as part of Brexit changes. Who will do that now?

ziggysego

Quote from: T Fearon on June 13, 2017, 11:05:53 PM
I think you'll find if you live in a Constituency with a Unionist MP he or she will adequately represent and help you. A friend of mine,a catholic nationalist, wrote to Enoch Powell no less when he was South Down MP,with a minor problem.Two days later,Enoch actuallly turned up at his house and couldn't have been more helpful.

A DUP MP once told me privately that NI doesn't count at Westminster.Bet he has changed his tune.

Now you're talking about what a great, honest man Enoch Powell was? I really have nothing to say.....
Testing Accessibility

The Subbie

Quote from: ziggysego on June 14, 2017, 12:14:39 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on June 13, 2017, 11:05:53 PM
I think you'll find if you live in a Constituency with a Unionist MP he or she will adequately represent and help you. A friend of mine,a catholic nationalist, wrote to Enoch Powell no less when he was South Down MP,with a minor problem.Two days later,Enoch actuallly turned up at his house and couldn't have been more helpful.

Now you're talking about what a great, honest man Enoch Powell was? I really have nothing to say.....

Beat me to it Ziggy, there really are no words.

Dougal Maguire

In any case I can't see what the big deal was. Is it not the case that when elected you're expected to serve all the electorate and not only those who voted for you.
Careful now

T Fearon

I am merely pointing out the fallacy of the statement "Northern catholics have no representation at Westminster".Sure didn't Paisley used to boast that he always had a sizeable catholic vote in his constituency due to his reputation for representation?

ned

Quote from: T Fearon on June 14, 2017, 06:10:11 AM
I am merely pointing out the fallacy of the statement "Northern catholics have no representation at Westminster".Sure didn't Paisley used to boast that he always had a sizeable catholic vote in his constituency due to his reputation for representation?

That is utter bollocks. There is no doubt Paisley got things done that benefitied everyone but he was the cause of more problems than solutions.

T Fearon

Fact is Seafoid said Catholics have no representation at Westminster.I am pointing out that this is a falsehood.