UK General Election 2017

Started by Eamonnca1, April 18, 2017, 07:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6th sam

Quote from: red hander on June 12, 2017, 09:50:59 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on June 11, 2017, 01:03:03 PM
I no longer vote on tribal lines but for candidate (s) who I agree with and who have a track record.

My preference would be for an independent Northern state,if economically viable ultimately,devoid of  toxic,bizarre and irrational allegiances to the British or 26 county states,which has brought about nothing but misery and division.

There was, to all intents and purposes, an independent northern state from 1922 to 1969, with zero interference from London as loyalist apartheid was practised unfettered. That worked out really well, didn't it? Speak for yourself. I feel total kinship with my fellow Irish, whether they're from Armagh or Cork.
Agree, I love this country, whether Killarney or Derry.
I think if we actually had the wit to realise what we actually have on this island, and reject the antagonist partisan aggression of orangism and their fellow travellers, we'd have some country.
I'm a northern nationslist and have loads in common with northern unionists snd southern nationalists , what I can't stick is those from the 26 counties (usually Fine Gaelers tbf) who try to ingratiate and respect everyone , except northern nationalists . E.g. Charlie Flanagan who is supposed to be an independent co-guarantor of the GFA , not stating clearly that James Brokenshire, can now definitely not be viewed as independent, since he's trying to form a government with the DUP. This is absolutely disgraceful. We all know the question marks over Fisnna Fail but at least Bertie and Albert proved advocates of northern nationalists when they were most marginalised . Sadly Miceál Martin has not followed suit. Fine Gael and their various coalitions, ( with a few  supporters on this board ), have consistently failed as advocates for northern nationalists, rather seeing their role as sucking up to unionists and the Tories...sadly replicating their role in the Anglo Irish conflict from 1916. Any chance Charlie and Leo that you would have the guts to confront the Partissn behaviour of the Tories and their orange mates in unionism?
What other country in the world would tolerate the weekly widespread celebration of beating your Catholic neighbours in battle over  300  years ago and dress it up as culture. When is the lone voice of 6 county nationalists going to be bolstered by those in the 26 counties , calling this nonsense out for what it is!
Inevitably northern nationalists  are portrayed as the other side of the same coin, and equally unreasonable. Tit for tat , 50/50, six of one /half a dozen of the other etc. This narrative is nonsense. If a republican band tried to march in a unionist area, they would not only receive no support they would be openly ridiculed by their own community - thus it never happens. However sectarian marches, continued loyalist killings and apparent sectarian behaviour around the Irish language and public funding, is only ever challenged by northern nationalists, who are portrayed as equally unreasonable . Apart from the likes of Jeremy Corbyn,  UK politicians have rarely fought our corner and have promoted the 50/50 lie. Fianna Fail  to be fair , though not overly vocal, usually had our backs, but since Sinn Féin has strengthened in the Dáil, self preservation has dictated that all other Southern politicians have neglected northern nationalists, to concentrate on undermining Sinn Féin, thus perpetuating the pathological political impasse in the 6 counties.
Will Leo Varadkar buck the trend and stand up to the Tories and orangism, I'll not hold my breath!

T Fearon

That's the point I'm trying to make.The Freestate doesn't and never will care about Northern Nationalists.Why therefore pine for a United Ireland?

That's why I believe some form of an independent North,which renders Unionism and Nationalism redundant,and all the associated Division,is the best and most logical solution.

It was also good yesterday to witness the Orange Order publicly condemn sectarian graffiti daubed on the walls of a GAA club.

Avondhu star

Quote from: T Fearon on June 13, 2017, 07:33:38 AM
That's the point I'm trying to make.The Freestate doesn't and never will care about Northern Nationalists.Why therefore pine for a United Ireland?

That's why I believe some form of an independent North,which renders Unionism and Nationalism redundant,and all the associated Division,is the best and most logical solution.

It was also good yesterday to witness the Orange Order publicly condemn sectarian graffiti daubed on the walls of a GAA club.
More shite talk. A system where neither side gets anything close to what they want. Do you seriously think anyone is going to support that?
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Owen Brannigan

Cameron and Osbourne had a draft agreement in place in 2015 to give them an added majority but it was never implemented.  This is the blueprint for the current agreement but taking into account the current situation of Brexit and manifestos:

T Fearon

And giving one side what they want will bring peace and harmony? 😂😂😂😂

johnneycool

Quote from: AQMP on June 13, 2017, 10:23:58 AM
Quote from: Hardy on June 12, 2017, 11:33:05 AM
Two questions to which I can't see answers that are either logical or politically tenable:

1. How is it acceptable for the DUP to be simultaneously a protagonist in negotiations on the governance of the North and effectively a part of the Westminster government? One of the possible outcomes of the assembly negotiations is direct rule from Westminster. Surely the DUP has an overwhelming incentive to scupper the talks, let the Assembly lapse and by default become effectively the direct government in the North without having to worry about power sharing with pesky nationalists.

2. How is it acceptable for the UK government to mediate the Assembly talks, when it is the political partner of one of the protagonists? It is plain that the DUP has a veto on everything by virtue of its ability to withdraw support from the government at will. Surely the other parties and the Irish government can't agree to proceed with talks on this basis. I presume they still have George Mitchell's phone number.

You must factor in that the Brits were never "neutral" here.  They are Unionists.  But yes, two good questions.   Imagine going in to complex negotiations where the "honest broker" talks about working with "friends and allies" on the other side.  Crazy.

A couple of observations from the last few days.  The argument over SF going to Westminster is a dead duck.  Given the relative furore over the DUP wielding influence can you imagine if Corbyn has got into bed with SF??  No party is ever going to ask SF into a deal and therefore they have no role to play at Westminster. 

Some amazing, convoluted logic from southern parties too on this issue, not only is it repulsive for SF to be in government in the South but OK in the North, but now it appears it's OK for SF to toddle off to Westminster to form a British government!?!?!

SF and the DUP are not the "extreme" any more.  They got around 66% of the votes cast between them.  To paraphrase David Trimble from a few years ago, decent people now vote for SF and DUP in their tens of thousands.  Garden Centre Prod has gone from not giving a f**k to voting DUP.

If I were the DUP I'd get any cash commitments agreed ASAP.  The relationship between the Tories and the DUP has instability written all over it.

Brokenshire was rightly highlighted before the hung parliament as not being an honest broker, so that's hardly going to change now!

Orior

Quote from: Hardy on June 13, 2017, 09:39:37 AM
Lord Buckethead

"The uploader has not made this video available in your country."

Dammit. Do you watch these things on the dark internet?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

BennyCake

Quote from: johnneycool on June 13, 2017, 10:26:52 AM
Two questions to which I can't see answers that are either logical or politically tenable:

1. How is it acceptable for the DUP to be simultaneously a protagonist in negotiations on the governance of the North and effectively a part of the Westminster government? One of the possible outcomes of the assembly negotiations is direct rule from Westminster. Surely the DUP has an overwhelming incentive to scupper the talks, let the Assembly lapse and by default become effectively the direct government in the North without having to worry about power sharing with pesky nationalists.

2. How is it acceptable for the UK government to mediate the Assembly talks, when it is the political partner of one of the protagonists? It is plain that the DUP has a veto on everything by virtue of its ability to withdraw support from the government at will. Surely the other parties and the Irish government can't agree to proceed with talks on this basis. I presume they still have George Mitchell's phone number.

You must factor in that the Brits were never "neutral" here.  They are Unionists.  But yes, two good questions.   Imagine going in to complex negotiations where the "honest broker" talks about working with "friends and allies" on the other side.  Crazy.

A couple of observations from the last few days.  The argument over SF going to Westminster is a dead duck.  Given the relative furore over the DUP wielding influence can you imagine if Corbyn has got into bed with SF??  No party is ever going to ask SF into a deal and therefore they have no role to play at Westminster. 

Some amazing, convoluted logic from southern parties too on this issue, not only is it repulsive for SF to be in government in the South but OK in the North, but now it appears it's OK for SF to toddle off to Westminster to form a British government!?!?!

SF and the DUP are not the "extreme" any more.  They got around 66% of the votes cast between them.  To paraphrase David Trimble from a few years ago, decent people now vote for SF and DUP in their tens of thousands.  Garden Centre Prod has gone from not giving a f**k to voting DUP.

If I were the DUP I'd get any cash commitments agreed ASAP.  The relationship between the Tories and the DUP has instability written all over it.

Brokenshire was rightly highlighted before the hung parliament as not being an honest broker, so that's hardly going to change now!

All British politicans are dishonest when dealing with the North. Why would they be neutral when all they want is to keep their bit of Ireland in British hands?

Hardy

Quote from: Orior on June 13, 2017, 10:31:06 AM
Lord Buckethead

This one works in the United Kingdom of Tory and DUP.

T Fearon

How can the British be neutral when the North belongs to them constitutionally.The Freestate when it removed Articles 2 and 3 agreed that the British owns the North as do SF and SDLP via the Good Friday Agreement ffs!

yellowcard

A couple of observations from the last few days.  The argument over SF going to Westminster is a dead duck.  Given the relative furore over the DUP wielding influence can you imagine if Corbyn had got into bed with SF??  No party is ever going to ask SF into a deal and therefore they have no role to play at Westminster. 

Micheal Martin has been especially hypocritical on these issues. Most nationalists do not give a jot for Sinn Fein taking their seats in Westminster as they will will be irrelevant in terms of influence anyway. Fianna Fail were traditionally more pre-disposed towards nationalists in the north (and indeed have been in the past) but under Micheal Martin they have made even Fine Gael look good in that respect.

As you rightly said, imagine the furore if Sinn Fein bore any influence over the English parliament considering the outcry over the DUp's role over the last few days. if anything it has only served to highlight that they should never go anywhere near it.

Orior

Quote from: Hardy on June 13, 2017, 11:14:46 AM
Lord Buckethead

Soon to be renamed the United Kingdom of England, Scotland, Wales and Dalriada.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ned

Quote from: Orior on June 13, 2017, 01:21:51 PM
Quote from: Hardy on June 13, 2017, 11:14:46 AM
Lord Buckethead

Soon to be renamed the United Kingdom of England, Scotland, Wales and Dalriada.

Or United Kingdom of England, Scotland, Wales and Dalriada minus Glens of Antrim and West Belfast