UK General Election 2017

Started by Eamonnca1, April 18, 2017, 07:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Quote from: T Fearon on June 11, 2017, 01:03:03 PM
I no longer vote on tribal lines but for candidate (s) who I agree with and who have a track record.

My preference would be for an independent Northern state,if economically viable ultimately,devoid of  toxic,bizarre and irrational allegiances to the British or 26 county states,which has brought about nothing but misery and division.

Why are you so concerned with the Irish government refusing to countenance a border poll in that instance then. Based on your beliefs surely you don't want a border poll unless there are THREE options.

BennyCake

I no longer vote on tribal lines but for candidate (s) who I agree with and who have a track record.

My preference would be for an independent Northern state,if economically viable ultimately,devoid of  toxic,bizarre and irrational allegiances to the British or 26 county states,which has brought about nothing but misery and division.

If there is an independent Northern state, will it make any difference? Changing it's name will mean nothing. Assuming it would be governed from Stormont, it will still be the same as it's been since 98. Two main parties working with polar opposite agendas. This whole place is a cesspit, always was and will be.

I suggest all nationalists and all unionists meet in a neutral venue and bate the shite out of each other. Last side standing gets to keep the place. The other has to leave. Yes, it's a mental suggestion but it would sort this place out once and for all. No other method has worked. Or ever will work. Irish and British governments agree to house the losers.

ned

Quote from: BennyCake on June 11, 2017, 02:36:32 PM

If there is an independent Northern state, will it make any difference? Changing it's name will mean nothing. Assuming it would be governed from Stormont, it will still be the same as it's been since 98. Two main parties working with polar opposite agendas. This whole place is a cesspit, always was and will be.

I suggest all nationalists and all unionists meet in a neutral venue and bate the shite out of each other. Last side standing gets to keep the place. The other has to leave. Yes, it's a mental suggestion but it would sort this place out once and for all. No other method has worked. Or ever will work. Irish and British governments agree to house the losers.

There is a change happening, however gradually. Sectarian differences in the north are being diluted slowly. Whether this leads to a united Ireland or not I don't know. However, the changes occurring are only for the better.

BennyCake

Quote from: ned on June 11, 2017, 02:53:39 PM

There is a change happening, however gradually. Sectarian differences in the north are being diluted slowly. Whether this leads to a united Ireland or not I don't know. However, the changes occurring are only for the better.

Maybe so, but sectarian politics keeps the division going day to day, and vice versa.

seafoid

Alliance wanted 20% non sectarian education by 2027.
But nobody else seems to be interested.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Wildweasel74

Sectarian differences in the north are being diluted slowly.??

Wrong there are more entrenched now than they ever been,

seafoid

Quote from: Hardy on June 11, 2017, 11:30:58 AM
Quote from: Minder on June 11, 2017, 09:37:50 AM
Quote from: Aaron Boone on June 11, 2017, 06:37:09 AM
She should have given Tim Farron's Lid Dems a call, far less toxic.
Lib Dems had already ruled out a coalition, after what happened the last time

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 11, 2017, 09:45:32 AM
It really does highlight how little the tories and the dup care about peace over here.

Putting these two points together, we also see how little the Lib Dems care about implementation of the policy they purport to espouse, as opposed to safeguarding their electoral position.

They had a golden opportunity at least to try  to force a referendum on the Brexit deal as part of a power deal with the Tories, but they prefer to avoid the consequences of being the junior partner in a coalition again.
The Tories are in a state of war. Brexit is a Gordian knot at this stage given the numbers. There would be no point in working with them. Plus there will be another election along shortly in all likelihood 

ned

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 11, 2017, 03:33:49 PM
Sectarian differences in the north are being diluted slowly.??

Wrong there are more entrenched now than they ever been,

Not my experience. There is much more integration. It's slow and might take 50 more years for the old guard/divisions to disappear but it will happen. The DUP and SF dont really represent the norm but people keep voting for them. It will come to pass that an alternative will be to the fore. Perhaps the unmasking of the DUP over the next few weeks will be the start of the end?

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: BennyCake on June 11, 2017, 11:45:07 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on June 11, 2017, 11:31:46 AM
I dont see the panic here.If the DUP win concessions that can only be good for all of us.Sinn Fein has delivered nothing for the North since it entered the Dail.

The DUP will do what it always does. Bend over and do what Westminster wants. Yes, Master, three bags full, master. To do anything less would be un-British. That means benefits cuts, bedroom tax, no historical inquiries, no change to zero hour contracts, etc. Yes, that's great news for the North.

DUP will negotiate a good deal with May.  They have consistently turned over SF in every negotiation since and including the St Andrew's Agreement.  Their track record in coming out on top in negotiations has no peer.  In this situation they have their strongest hand yet.

Yes, they will look after themselves first but they will come back with the bacon.

Minder

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on June 11, 2017, 03:53:03 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on June 11, 2017, 11:45:07 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on June 11, 2017, 11:31:46 AM
I dont see the panic here.If the DUP win concessions that can only be good for all of us.Sinn Fein has delivered nothing for the North since it entered the Dail.

The DUP will do what it always does. Bend over and do what Westminster wants. Yes, Master, three bags full, master. To do anything less would be un-British. That means benefits cuts, bedroom tax, no historical inquiries, no change to zero hour contracts, etc. Yes, that's great news for the North.

DUP will negotiate a good deal with May.  They have consistently turned over SF in every negotiation since and including the St Andrew's Agreement.  Their track record in coming out on top in negotiations has no peer.  In this situation they have their strongest hand yet.

Yes, they will look after themselves first but they will come back with the bacon.

One of their conditions is no further benefit cuts apparently
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Avondhu star

Quote from: ned on June 11, 2017, 02:53:39 PM

Absolute rubbish. Extremists on both sides have swamped SDLP UUP and ALLIANCE.
The DUP have the ear of the Tories now and will only strenghten division.
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Avondhu star

Are you actually allowed out to vote? If so it would explain a lot
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

seafoid

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on June 11, 2017, 10:21:47 AM
Prof John Curtice on Sunday Politics explaining how foolish May was in calling the election.  A 7% difference between Labour and Conservatives in 2015 only produced a majority of 17.  In 2017, the difference turned out to be 2.5%.  Someone needed to tell May that no matter how far she seemed to be beyond Labour she would lose if the gap dropped below 7% and the difference between parties always narrows during an election.  Her campaign went on for too long and the gap continued to narrow below the 7% gap. 

John Curtice pointed out that the overall percentages for parties count for nothing, it's only the gap that counts.

May listened to the wrong people and lost.
The campaign was too long for her. She might have won after 3 weeks. The Tories threw everything into it. There was 100% support frôm the Mail,  Express, Sun, Times. But it was too much for her.

T Fearon

An independent Northern state automatically renders toxic unionism and nationalism obsolete as there are no longer competing allegiances to Britain or the Freestate,the route cause of division and sectarianism.