UK General Election 2017

Started by Eamonnca1, April 18, 2017, 07:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6th sam

Quote from: T Fearon on June 09, 2017, 05:52:16 PM
Yellowcarcd,I used to think like you,but then I considered that successive Dublin governments have shafted the northern community into which I was born repeatedly,and even today it won't countenance a border poll.Furthermore the DUP is no more corrupt than the ruling parties in Dublin,and I don't even know what a Unitec Ireland would look like,particularly economically.

I have no attachment for Unionism,instead I am now convinced that there is a unique N Irish culture and way of life that is separate and distinct from both the South of Ireland and also from England,Wales and Scotland.

In short unrequited allegiance to London and Dublin,neither of whom understands nor wants us,is the thing that divides and tribalises us all,and is totally irrational.

I always knew there was more than one of you, Tony.

I suspect you are winding , Tony.
Ironically this result could be good for political progress here
1. As "kingmakers" DUP are in the position to squeeze as much ££££ as possible for the block grant, and can push for a soft brexit.
2. The DUP will now be held up to scrutiny on their policies and ethos.
3. The Tories will be subjected to even further ridicule for going into partnership with a party viewed as dinosaurs . Their days are numbered as even with the strong backing of mainstream media , they were not able to undermine Jeremy Corbyn. If he sees power he'll prove a friend of Ireland.
4. There must now be an independent chair for the stormont talks, as Tories are now admitting they are bedfellows of the DUP.
5. DUP are now maxed out on their vote, and given that they are probably incapable of changing their ways, real politics and demographics will ensure their days in the sun are numbered.
6. Demographics will eventually dictate an All-Island solution to this failed political concept which is NI.

The challenge for nationalists and republicans is to work hard with unionism, over the next few years, reassuring them that in any All -Island solution their Britishness will be genuinely respected and embraced.

seafoid

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on June 09, 2017, 06:08:38 PM
May will survive as leader of the Tories because she can point to having improved their share of the popular vote by 5.5% to 13,650,900 and 42.4% of the vote. 

She secured 13,650,900 votes and lost 12 seats to 318 compared to 13,518,167 votes achieved by Blair in his landslide election in 1997 with 418 seats.
She delivered a hung parliament. And now Brexit is the purest chaos
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

Ruth Davidson is the chief Scottish tory. She is also lesbian. And she doesn't like the idea of the Tories hooking up with the DUP.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Owen Brannigan

No PM has lost their majority at an election and stayed in office since Asquith in January 1910. He turned to the Irish Nationalists and lasted over 5 years.

yellowcard

May will survive as leader of the Tories because she can point to having improved their share of the popular vote by 5.5% to 13,650,900 and 42.4% of the vote. 

She secured 13,650,900 votes and lost 12 seats to 318 compared to 13,518,167 votes achieved by Blair in his landslide election in 1997 with 418 seats.

That sounds like something that a PR consultant for May would use to justify her position. The fact is she called the election of her own free will in anticipation of vastly strengthening her mandate. She turned a 20 point lead in the polls into a minority government in the space of less than 2 months. The rest is just window dressing.

yellowcard

Yellowcarcd,I used to think like you,but then I considered that successive Dublin governments have shafted the northern community into which I was born repeatedly,and even today it won't countenance a border poll.Furthermore the DUP is no more corrupt than the ruling parties in Dublin,and I don't even know what a Unitec Ireland would look like,particularly economically.

I have no attachment for Unionism,instead I am now convinced that there is a unique N Irish culture and way of life that is separate and distinct from both the South of Ireland and also from England,Wales and Scotland.

In short unrequited allegiance to London and Dublin,neither of whom understands nor wants us,is the thing that divides and tribalises us all,and is totally irrational.

Maybe I picked you up wrong initially then.

So in the interest of clarity then, your political aspiration is what, an independent northern state? If so would The Alliance Party or possibly the Green Party not be a better fit for you.

The rest of your post is just plain daft and I'm not going to waste time arguing over. A 'unique N Irish culture' though, that did make me laugh!!

Rossfan

Quote from: seafoid on June 09, 2017, 06:27:10 PM
Ruth Davidson is the chief Scottish tory. She is also lesbian. And she doesn't like the idea of the Tories hooking up with the DUP.
And she's said to be about to marry her Catholic girlfriend.
Poots, Wells etc will be having strokes😁
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ned

Quote from: yellowcard on June 09, 2017, 06:59:00 PM

Maybe I picked you up wrong initially then.

So in the interest of clarity then, your political aspiration is what, an independent northern state? If so would The Alliance Party or possibly the Green Party not be a better fit for you.

The rest of your post is just plain daft and I'm not going to waste time arguing over. A 'unique N Irish culture' though, that did make me laugh!!

The DUP's moral compass is on a par with Tony's right enough so he probably has more in common with their policies than with any other party. Southern USA fundamentalist christian type ideology.

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

The obvious irony.. English people see who the DUP really are, and say, these people are as mad as the nationalists.
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

mrdeeds

The Conservative and Unionist Negotiating Team will be going to Brussels. Can't think of an acronym for them.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: yellowcard on June 09, 2017, 06:40:21 PM

That sounds like something that a PR consultant for May would use to justify her position. The fact is she called the election of her own free will in anticipation of vastly strengthening her mandate. She turned a 20 point lead in the polls into a minority government in the space of less than 2 months. The rest is just window dressing.

That's the point I am making!

In fact, on this day, 9th June 1983, Margaret Thatcher's Conservative Party has won a landslide second term election victory, taking 397 seats to Labour's 209.  The Tories achieved 13,012,316 or 42.4% of the votes cast.   

This compares to May's Tories who achieved 13,650,900 or 42.4% of the vote and took only 318 seats.

StGallsGAA

Hopefully  Labour's press office are busy collating Gregory Campbell's tweets, Jim Wells' interviews,  Nelson McCausland's press releases about the origins of the earth, details on Arlene's close relationship with Dee Stitt / Jackie McDonald and  photos of DUP seniors marching happily at parades arranged specifically to commemorate UDA and UVF killers etc.  There's tons  of kompromat available to embarrass the Tories.

imtommygunn

There's already some good stuff out there in guardian and telegraph. At least more of the world will see what kind of dinosaurs we are dealing with.

You can just imagine the tory conversation when they needed someone... Right we need someone incompetent, someone with no morals, someone with voters so stupid they will vote for them no matter what, someone who has a big a shower of c***ts as ouselves... Dup ten seats. Perfect.

No matter the outcome may has shown herself to be a pathetic leader. To call an election and be in a position where you are deemed untouchable and then turn it into something you need to sell yourself out for to avoid a hung parliament is unbelievable stuff really. I can not see how she will remain.

This screws ni too. There is no point in talks when you are in cahoots with the "neutrals".

What a world we live in :(

yellowcard

Quote from: StGallsGAA on June 09, 2017, 07:50:50 PM
Hopefully  Labour's press office are busy collating Gregory Campbell's tweets, Jim Wells' interviews,  Nelson McCausland's press releases about the origins of the earth, details on Arlene's close relationship with Dee Stitt / Jackie McDonald and  photos of DUP seniors marching happily at parades arranged specifically to commemorate UDA and UVF killers etc.  There's tons  of kompromat available to embarrass the Tories.

Think you missed Robinson and Ulster resistance, Pengellys links to loyalist paramilitaries, Poots holding his nose, anything by Sammy. Red Sky, Nama, RHI, Saudia Arabia links.

Milltown Row2

It's the pure smugness that gets me, their supporters screwed them once, when Peter lost his seat over his own scandal... it seems everything else is ok.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea