Official Monaghan GAA Thread

Started by GrandMasterFlash, February 02, 2007, 08:42:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMohan

Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 16, 2009, 07:07:15 PM
Quote from: JMohan on July 16, 2009, 06:50:41 PM
That would be a step backwards for Monaghan!
youd know what a real giant backward step was if you appointed the wrong candidate !
at least Eamonn Mc has a bit of a clue at what he's doing
Do you think so? I look at Louth and I don't see much improvement there over the past 4 years.

I think Eamon McEneney had a run with Monaghan a few years ago - but one of the Monaghan lads would be able to tell me that better

thebandit

Quote from: JMohan on July 17, 2009, 07:21:41 AM
youd know what a real giant backward step was if you appointed the wrong candidate !
Do you think so? I look at Louth and I don't see much improvement there over the past 4 years.

I think Eamon McEneney had a run with Monaghan a few years ago - but one of the Monaghan lads would be able to tell me that better

He was there in the late '90s I think

bingobus

He was manager the year we drew with you's in Clones and could have won it after Pip Duffy won a free in with time almost up. He said or done something that made the ref throw it up. Monaghan where massive underdogs at the time.
The replay was over after 5 minutes when Eddie Murphy, harshly, got the line. It was a cake walk after that for Derry in Celtic Park.

An Eamon Mac story from that game. In the drawn game he took Aiden Tavey, his own clubman, on and off in the game. Morley was raging and in the second half of the replay with Monaghan getting a hiding, Eamon shouted in to Morley in the dugout to warm up. Morley never moved and had a big smile on him. Eamon again told him to get ready and Morley responded by telling him where to go that he wasn't going to be a made a **** off two weeks in a row. Eamon Mac was knocked for six, he'd have coached, played with Morley, he paniced and seen Vinny Martin next to Morley and put him on. No harm to Vinny, who I know well and is a game footballer, but he was as shocked as anyone to be asked but gladly took his chance to play Ulster championship football.

cusack og

Quote from: bingobus on July 17, 2009, 12:02:28 PM

He was manager the year we drew with you's in Clones and could have won it after Pip Duffy won a free in with time almost up. He said or done something that made the ref throw it up. Monaghan where massive underdogs at the time.
The replay was over after 5 minutes when Eddie Murphy, harshly, got the line. It was a cake walk after that for Derry in Celtic Park.

I think I partly remember that incident. The Monaghan man had the free won after an awful tackle by Derry's Emmett McKeever then the Monaghan man reacted and there was a hop ball. Derry subsituted McKeever before the ref even got a chance to talk to him. We'd have been beat that day only for that hop ball.

bingobus

Minor Championship at semi-final stage - Blayney (stole a result from Truagh), Scotstown (hammered a Donaghmoyne team in freefall), Latton and Aughnamullen.

Fairly open still, Scotstown on their day will be hard to beat.

thebandit

Scotstown have to be favourites

Blayney seem to have the fight for a battle

Aughnamullen & Latton have been disappointing in the league, but could beat anyone in a one-off game.

timmyot501

I see Seans lost to Currin by 8 points last night and are now out of the junior championship.  They were probably seen as favourites by many!

sammymaguire

DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

bingobus

An awful lot of matches at Reserve, U21 and Minor have been conceded/given walk overs in last while.

I suppose this is due to the double leagues at all levels. They'll have to review its next year and maybe go back to single leagues and look at expanding the championship. For Reserve Div 1 and 2 its a double league and CL style championship. For Reserve Div 3 and 4 its a double league and single match championship. A bit inconsistent.

Also the timing of matches is mad. One week our club had the following schedule - Friday - Senior, Saturday - B, Sunday-C, Monday-U21, Tuesday-Minor, Wednesday-C Thursday-No game (hurlers), Friday-B, Saturday-C, Sunday-B.

Mad stuff, a few younger players would have ended up playing 4/5 games only we had the squads to rotate a bit. Still sound played 4 games in 8 days.

Schkite

Just back from the championship match in Blayney there, Clontibret 0-13 Ballybay 0-9.

Very inconvincing performance with plenty of errors but sure we got through and that's the main thing at the minute. Had a wee bollix of a ref too, but that's no excuse. Room for improvement!

bennydorano

Would any of you chaps happen to know who (I assume Armagh-connected) the person was who took the Monaghan training session before the Arm-Mon qualifier game??

Schkite

Tight enough win for us last night, more than it should have been anyway. We were crusing in the first half and start of the second, were 10 points up and looking good, but then the defence went to sleep all of a sudden and we conceded 2-2 very quickly! Truagh had the margin down to 2 points but we were able to knock on another couple of scores, but failed to get the goal which would have put it to bed. Job done but the lapse in concentration was worrying and would cost us against a better team.

A couple of shocks over the weekend, Magheracloone beating Latton and Scotstown beating Blayney. Blayney next up for us for  a spot in the semi, should be interesting!  ;D

No way ref

I was at the clontibret truagh game too and thought that clontibret were excellent. Mc Manus was superb as was Martin Corey. Truagh couldnt handle their pace and power. They showed good heart though and in Sheerin and Neil Mc Crory they have two good footballers

Schkite

Yeah we looked good for the most part, first half especially, but would have to address how we fell asleep in the second half. I suppose in a tighter game that probably wouldn't have happened but still.

McManus was excellent alright, there were a few good performances but he stood out. 10 points and only half from frees, he's turned into a very dangerous forward and it'll take a very good back to hold him. Practically 2 footed now and has got alot stronger too, hopefully he can keep this form up for the remainder of the year.

Joxer

Banty staying on for another year.  Confirmed tonight