All Ireland Final Replay 1st October 2016 Dublin vs Mayo

Started by Hereiam, September 21, 2016, 10:42:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

Buttofthehill

Mannion was lost out in the half forwards and is very one footed, Costello is very much different in this regard.

Also Mayo losing a player to a head butt?? I love this site and have enjoyed reading for many years but this is Mayo Blog stuff.

muppet

Quote from: Buttofthehill on October 07, 2016, 06:32:43 PM
Mannion was lost out in the half forwards and is very one footed, Costello is very much different in this regard.

Also Mayo losing a player to a head butt?? I love this site and have enjoyed reading for many years but this is Mayo Blog stuff.

Mannion started the 2013 Final IIRC but was taken off early for O'Gara.
MWWSI 2017

Buttofthehill

Pulled his hammer but he wasn't great that day alright

muppet

Quote from: Buttofthehill on October 07, 2016, 08:05:56 PM
Pulled his hammer but he wasn't great that day alright

Started in the corner. I reckon he was only around 21?

Also James O'Donohoe was mentioned earlier as a top forward. He certainly was in 2014. I think he was injured in 2015. But this year I was told he didn't get his place as he was out of form, which seems amazing.
MWWSI 2017

Buttofthehill

True,I think he hasn't recovered from that shoulder injury. For me, I remember him in the semi v Dublin in 2013 and he tore them apart in the first half.

tonto1888

Quote from: Jinxy on October 07, 2016, 05:05:30 PM
Quote from: iorras on October 07, 2016, 03:18:00 PM
The only 2 forward subs because 3 substitutions were forced on us, 1 Lee Keegan, 2 Donal Vaughan and 3 Rob Hennelly. None of those substitutions would have been in the plan. That gives you little room to manoeuvre, who knows what our forwards subs plan actually was.
We also had Tom Parson off the field for a good while getting stitches from a head butt which mean that threw our plans awry also

WTF?

Yeah. Who head butted him?

Il Bomber Destro

On Mayo's forwards

Diarmuid O'Connor - a top class player, great engine and can take a score. Seemed to be off the pace after an injury this year
Aidan O'Shea - an enigma, looks the real deal against the cannon fodder but he has had big problems stepping it up in big games
McLoughlin - A workhorse
Doherty -  A workhorse
Moran - Probably paying the best football of his career, clever player, strong and is the one Mayo forward who looks comfortable kicking off either foot. He doesn't have 70 minutes in his locker though.
Cillian O'Connor - Good free taker but the rest of his game is not that of a top forward. He doesn't want the ball, he can't kick off his left foot and he has no pace.

The problem is they don't have enough natural scorers in there, plenty of physical lads who will give you there all but when it comes to the two inside guys you have Cillian O'Connor, who to me, is carried for his frees (this in itself probably justifies itself and he is worth a few points in that regard) but his all round game leaves an awful lot to be desired. Teams usually leave their weakest man marker on O'Connor which will tell you all you need to know, he has no pace, no left foot and he doesn't look to be the outball inside as he knows his limitations. Rarely does O'Connor do what Moran does for instance, win the first ball put into him generate the space and put it over the bar. O'Connor is all about feeding off of that on the loop. He needs to be more authoritative in that regard, demand those first balls. He got 9 points from play this year in 8 games - that is just not good enough.

maigheo

Quote from: tonto1888 on October 07, 2016, 09:44:10 PM
The only 2 forward subs because 3 substitutions were forced on us, 1 Lee , 2 Donal Vaughan and 3 Rob Hennelly. None of those substitutions would have been in the plan. That gives you little room to manoeuvre, who knows what our forwards subs plan actually was.
We also had Tom Parson off the field for a good while getting stitches from a head butt which mean that threw our plans awry also

WTF?

Allegedly, according to those over on the blog it was a corner back from Ballymun kick hams

Syferus

Quote from: maigheo on October 08, 2016, 12:52:55 PM
The only 2 forward subs because 3 substitutions were forced on us, 1 Lee , 2 Donal Vaughan and 3 Rob Hennelly. None of those substitutions would have been in the plan. That gives you little room to manoeuvre, who knows what our forwards subs plan actually was.

WTF?

Allegedly, according to those over on the blog it was a corner back from Ballymun kick hams

Willie Joe and company have never been known for their objectivity.

blast05

Quote from: Syferus on October 08, 2016, 01:10:29 PM
Quote from: maigheo on October 08, 2016, 12:52:55 PM

WTF?

Willie Joe and company have never been known for their objectivity.

Corner back tangles with Mayo midfielder and nett result a whole pile of stitches needed for Mayo midfielder. I haven't seen any video evidence to show what actually happened but reasonable to assume it wasn't self-inflicted! At this stage it doesn't matter, move on - closure - but no more than Lees black card, there would have been some crack if roles were reversed

The Aristocrat

Lots of whinging being done, Brolly's article should have been about the fans. Time to move on I think.

blast05

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/tommy-conlon-record-books-dont-factor-in-mayos-luckless-run-in-the-refereeing-lottery-35114617.html

The very last sentence it captures it perfectly re Mayo fans
The only place i have seen anger and frustration from Mayo fans is on this forum .... in response to arrogant, ungracious and ignorant Dublin posts

The Aristocrat

Quote from: blast05 on October 10, 2016, 09:13:28 AM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/tommy-conlon-record-books-dont-factor-in-mayos-luckless-run-in-the-refereeing-lottery-35114617.html

The only place i have seen anger and frustration from Mayo fans is on this forum .... in response to arrogant, ungracious and ignorant Dublin posts

Dublin fans aren't the ones targeting their own players online. They need to look at themselves for a change and stop blaming other external factors.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: blast05 on October 10, 2016, 09:13:28 AM

I'm sure Fermanagh would like to contest that narrative this year.