All Ireland Final Replay 1st October 2016 Dublin vs Mayo

Started by Hereiam, September 21, 2016, 10:42:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blast05

I haven't come across a single statement by any reporter, pundit or whatever you're having yerself, that implies that Mayo supporters are demanding that Rochford be booted out.

Indeed no .... but by God theres plenty of sh*te talking along the lines of "what the fcuk was he thinking the fecin' idjiot.... he cost us the All-Ireland"
Brain dead crap

INDIANA

Quote from: macdanger2 on October 04, 2016, 11:39:08 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on October 04, 2016, 11:22:12 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on October 04, 2016, 11:17:26 PM
Congrats to the Dubs, they beat Donegal, Kerry & Mayo to win this so nobody can say it was a soft one for them.

From our point of view, the goalkeeping change was madness, there are a lot of things you can't control in sport but this was one we could have. I feel sorry for Hennelly, he must be in a bad way for the last few days.

On the ref, he bottled the two Small decisions; in particular the black card which was stonewall. The Keegan decision was very poor also, he allowed himself to be influenced on that, it was a foul and nothing more (as an aside, despite this, Connolly had very little influence on the game for a player of his quality). The Cooper decision was harsh but correct by the letter of the law. McLoughlin should have been a black too. Both Connolly & Vaughan should have been black also by the letter of the law (one for a 3rd man tackle, the other for a deliberate hand trip). McCarthy should have seen yellow for a dangerous tackle on Vaughan, I guess Dublin felt they had been bullied the first day and he was laying down a marker there. As I said, these decisions were out of our control, there were other things within our control that would have resulted in us winning if we had done better on them.

Hard to fault the effort of any of our players over the two games; in the replay, I thought our back 8 were excellent - Harrison & Durcan in particular. Up front, all tried hard but against a backline like that, it's hard to get much change. A lot of the chat has been about how we need to find 1-2 "natural forwards" but the fact is, across the two games, the starting 6 forwards on both teams had the following returns from play:

Andy - 3 pts in 2 games
COC - 2 pts in 2 games
DOC - 1 pt in 2 games
Doc - 1 pt in 2 games
McLoughlin - 1 pt in 2 games
AOS - 0 pts in 2 games

Rock - 3 pts in 2 games
Connolly - 2 pts in 2 games
McManamon - 1 pt in 2 games
KK - 0pts in 2 games
Brogan - 0 pts in 1 game
Andrews - 0 pts in 1 game (didn't start the first game but came on very early so could call this 2 pts in 2 games)
Mannion - 0 pts in 1 game
Flynn - 0 pts in 1 game (started 2nd game @ mf)

It makes for pretty grim reading for anyone looking for free-scoring football but with the numbers of players teams get back these days and the low-risk football teams like to play, it's practically impossible for players to even get a shot off.

Now if Mayo had McBrearty and Quinlivan in our FF line, we'd probably have bagged another couple of scores and won the AI but for me, that's not where we lost this one. Could we do with another top-quality forward or two? Absolutely, but you only have to look at the stats above to see the quality of forward you need to even get a couple of points in a game like this. Easy to throw out the lazy cliches though about forwards, etc.

I think the fact that we had used up 3 subs on enforced changes by the 40th minute really affected us down the home straight in terms of legs. In the last 5 minutes of normal time, we weren't getting the numbers up in support because players weren't simply able to at that stage. Dublin on the other hand had two former POTYs to bring on and that was the difference, MDMAs running in particular.

Well done Dublin, hopefully we'll get an opportunity to take ye're crown next year.

It's not cliches. How many points did your starting forwards score last Sunday. leave the first day out of it.

Dublin were poor the first day. Last sunday dublin played well. that's the real test.

;D ;D

I shouldn't reply to a troll but out of respect for your cache of celtic crosses...

3. Compared to 4 for Dublin, three of which came in the first 10 mins, 2 directly from poor Mayo kickouts.

But you're right, natural forwards, blah blah blah. Rochford will surely have spies down in PP to see what kind of magic fairy dust ye're sprinkling on ye're free scoring forwards.

Only the ignorant would fail to notice the brilliance of our individual forwards since 2011.

And you my dear sir are completely ignorant. Not one of your forwards would start for us.

Ponder on that me ould mucker

Tubberman

Quote from: INDIANA on October 05, 2016, 11:07:49 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on October 04, 2016, 11:39:08 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on October 04, 2016, 11:22:12 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on October 04, 2016, 11:17:26 PM
Congrats to the Dubs, they beat Donegal, Kerry & Mayo to win this so nobody can say it was a soft one for them.

From our point of view, the goalkeeping change was madness, there are a lot of things you can't control in sport but this was one we could have. I feel sorry for Hennelly, he must be in a bad way for the last few days.

On the ref, he bottled the two Small decisions; in particular the black card which was stonewall. The Keegan decision was very poor also, he allowed himself to be influenced on that, it was a foul and nothing more (as an aside, despite this, Connolly had very little influence on the game for a player of his quality). The Cooper decision was harsh but correct by the letter of the law. McLoughlin should have been a black too. Both Connolly & Vaughan should have been black also by the letter of the law (one for a 3rd man tackle, the other for a deliberate hand trip). McCarthy should have seen yellow for a dangerous tackle on Vaughan, I guess Dublin felt they had been bullied the first day and he was laying down a marker there. As I said, these decisions were out of our control, there were other things within our control that would have resulted in us winning if we had done better on them.

Hard to fault the effort of any of our players over the two games; in the replay, I thought our back 8 were excellent - Harrison & Durcan in particular. Up front, all tried hard but against a backline like that, it's hard to get much change. A lot of the chat has been about how we need to find 1-2 "natural forwards" but the fact is, across the two games, the starting 6 forwards on both teams had the following returns from play:

Andy - 3 pts in 2 games
COC - 2 pts in 2 games
DOC - 1 pt in 2 games
Doc - 1 pt in 2 games
McLoughlin - 1 pt in 2 games
AOS - 0 pts in 2 games

Rock - 3 pts in 2 games
Connolly - 2 pts in 2 games
McManamon - 1 pt in 2 games
KK - 0pts in 2 games
Brogan - 0 pts in 1 game
Andrews - 0 pts in 1 game (didn't start the first game but came on very early so could call this 2 pts in 2 games)
Mannion - 0 pts in 1 game
Flynn - 0 pts in 1 game (started 2nd game @ mf)

It makes for pretty grim reading for anyone looking for free-scoring football but with the numbers of players teams get back these days and the low-risk football teams like to play, it's practically impossible for players to even get a shot off.

Now if Mayo had McBrearty and Quinlivan in our FF line, we'd probably have bagged another couple of scores and won the AI but for me, that's not where we lost this one. Could we do with another top-quality forward or two? Absolutely, but you only have to look at the stats above to see the quality of forward you need to even get a couple of points in a game like this. Easy to throw out the lazy cliches though about forwards, etc.

I think the fact that we had used up 3 subs on enforced changes by the 40th minute really affected us down the home straight in terms of legs. In the last 5 minutes of normal time, we weren't getting the numbers up in support because players weren't simply able to at that stage. Dublin on the other hand had two former POTYs to bring on and that was the difference, MDMAs running in particular.

Well done Dublin, hopefully we'll get an opportunity to take ye're crown next year.

It's not cliches. How many points did your starting forwards score last Sunday. leave the first day out of it.

Dublin were poor the first day. Last sunday dublin played well. that's the real test.

;D ;D

I shouldn't reply to a troll but out of respect for your cache of celtic crosses...

3. Compared to 4 for Dublin, three of which came in the first 10 mins, 2 directly from poor Mayo kickouts.

But you're right, natural forwards, blah blah blah. Rochford will surely have spies down in PP to see what kind of magic fairy dust ye're sprinkling on ye're free scoring forwards.

Only the ignorant would fail to notice the brilliance of our individual forwards since 2011.

And you my dear sir are completely ignorant. Not one of your forwards would start for us.

Ponder on that me ould mucker

Only one of you coming across as ignorant.
Hardly worth macdanger2 trying to look at things objectively when the likes of you comes out with that classless shite.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

muppet

Indiana reminds me of the sh8te talk you would hear in the playground.

MWWSI 2017

moysider

Quote from: blast05 on October 05, 2016, 10:54:07 PM
I haven't come across a single statement by any reporter, pundit or whatever you're having yerself, that implies that Mayo supporters are demanding that Rochford be booted out.

Indeed no .... but by God theres plenty of sh*te talking along the lines of "what the fcuk was he thinking the fecin' idjiot.... he cost us the All-Ireland"
Brain dead crap

Like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XUcJvqv8YA

ballinaman

Quote from: muppet on October 05, 2016, 11:36:34 PM
Indiana reminds me of the sh8te talk you would hear in the playground.
Always reminds me of this show I used to watch growing up
]

moysider

Quote from: blast05 on October 05, 2016, 10:54:07 PM

Brain dead crap

Like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XUcJvqv8YA

Maroon Manc

Whats worrying is the amount of people from Mayo who actually believe Hennelly was picked because of the O'Shea's. Rochford has got so much right since the defeat to Galway and even if Mayo had started with Clarke I'm far from convinced Mayo would have won. If only Rochford had got the job a year earlier things may have been very different.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Maroon Manc on October 06, 2016, 11:16:03 AM
Whats worrying is the amount of people from Mayo who actually believe Hennelly was picked because of the O'Shea's. Rochford has got so much right since the defeat to Galway and even if Mayo had started with Clarke I'm far from convinced Mayo would have won. If only Rochford had got the job a year earlier things may have been very different.

Indeed. That O'Shea shite has my blood boiling. Rochford tool gambles all year. The goalie one was too big a gamble given Hennelly's propensity to make at least one c**k up in a big game.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

sid waddell

For all the talk about the forwards and ability to score, here's a few stats.

In Mayo's four All-Ireland finals since 2012 inclusive, they've got a total of 58 scores to their opponents' combined 54.

In their six championship matches against Dublin since 2012 inclusive, Mayo have got 95 scores to Dublin's 89.

The clear difference is goals.

Dublin have got 10 goals over the course of those 6 games, Mayo have got 4, and never more than 1 in any single game.

Of those 10 Dublin goals:
2 were own goals
2 were penalties (one wrongly awarded - the one in the 2015 drawn game as the foul was outside the penalty area, the other a result of a catastrophic goalkeeping error)
2 clear goalkeeping errors (Brogan 2013, McMahon 2015 replay)
4 others

The Aristocrat

Quote from: sid waddell on October 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AM

In Mayo's four All-Ireland finals since 2012 inclusive, they've got a total of 58 scores to their opponents' combined 54.

In their six championship matches against Dublin since 2012 inclusive, Mayo have got 95 scores to Dublin's 89.

Dublin have got 10 goals over the course of those 6 games, Mayo have got 4, and never more than 1 in any single game.

2 were own goals
2 were penalties (one wrongly awarded - the one in the 2015 drawn game as the foul was outside the penalty area, the other a result of a catastrophic goalkeeping error)
4 others

The difference is Dublin don't do errors that lead to goals in big games and don't leak too many goals. They have made errors though in lesser games.

Mayo lost by a point over 160 minutes of football, could have gone either way, fair play to them and guaranteed to get back to the final next year.

Thy Kingdom Come

Quote from: The Aristocrat on October 06, 2016, 11:49:15 AM

2 were own goals
4 others

The difference is Dublin don't do errors that lead to goals in big games and don't leak too many goals. They have made errors though in lesser games.

Mayo lost by a point over 160 minutes of football, good have gone either way, fair play to them and guaranteed to get back to the final next year.

They are guaranteed nothing!

Maroon Manc

2 were own goals
4 others

I'll be surprised if you can find a Mayo man who wouldn't swap their 10 or so forwards on their panel for their Dublin counterparts.

Dublin are considerably better in that department.

ashman

Quote from: The Aristocrat on October 06, 2016, 11:49:15 AM

2 were own goals
4 others

Mayo lost by a point over 160 minutes of football, could have gone either way, fair play to them and guaranteed to get back to the final next year.

Dunno about that ;

Dublin error lead to a soft goal that gave an average Donegal team a punchers chance.

Dublin error lead to 2 Kerry goals in semi giving an average Kerry team a real chance they were not good enough to take .

ashman

Costello and Bernard brogan are better than any of the Mayo inside forwards .