Rule Change Needed to Stop Puke Keep-Ball

Started by cjx, July 15, 2018, 11:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Yea I accept that idea. But I don't accept it in practice when you're 4 down with the clock hurtling towards time added on. Surely going man to man at that moment is pivotal to preventing keep-ball, or at least trying to.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: trailer on July 18, 2018, 12:20:11 PM
Quote from: westbound on July 18, 2018, 12:09:35 PM
I don't think a shot clock would work because I think it would actually give additional incentive for defenders to sit deep knowing that after a certain pre-determined period of time the attacking team will have to come forward. For example, last week, it would just mean that Donegal would have less incentive to come out to try to get the ball back from dublin knowing that if they wait 30 seconds Dublin will have to come forward and they'll get the ball back.

But saying that a shot clock is unworkable because we won't have a workable clock at every match is ridiculous. How do they manage at every basketball match in the country? We are not that backward in the gaa that the ref can't bring a clock with him to be used at a 'table' in the same way as is done in basketball.

Anyway, as I said above, I don't think a shot clock is the solution. I think any rule changes have to be to 'discourage' defensive play from the team without the ball, rather than trying to encourage the team with the ball to attack.  I think there is sufficient incentive for teams to attack at the moment (i.e. to get scores) but the problem at the moment is that the best way to attack against a team with 13/14/15 behind the ball is to be patient and recyle the ball a hundred times until an opening appears (or they get turned over).

No we're not backward at all. But you want a person sitting at a table with a clock. You do realise players would need to see the thing to be able to know when their 30 secs or whatever is up? You realise how big it needs to be?
A shot clock is a f**king stupid idea. And anyone who suggests it is f**king stupid.
Its hard enough to get enough referees at club level to keep fixtures running, let alone an additional official to look after a shot clock.
Aside from that, placing a time limit on how long you have to get a shot away just added another defensive strategy to the list and would fundamentally change the way the game is played, not just get rid of 'keep ball' when a  team is ahead
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Hound

Quote from: seafoid on July 18, 2018, 04:36:59 PM

Maybe a focus on manliness would do the trick

http://rugbylad.com/watch-luke-fitzgerald-absolutely-tears-into-paul-kimmage-in-heated-argument/

Those are the rules. You go through them to show me where it is ok to do what Dublin did last Sunday. 37:00
Three Mayo players are wrestled to the ground in the last few minutes. Disgraceful way to win all Ireland.

What complete and utter nonsense. But would hardly accept anything less. And what a stupid link to put up.

What Dublin did was not within the rules, which is why they were punished. The kickout which they had won (unfairly) was forced to be retaken, the Dubs were made play the remainder couple of minutes with one less man, and time was added on for the time wasted.

Mayo then had a kickout with an extra man. If they found that extra man, they would almost inevitably get up to a scoring position and have a chance to equalise, and Dublin's tactic would have backfired spectacularly. But the keeper kicked the ball over the sideline, so we'll never know if they would have taken that chance. So then idiots like Kimmage and Seafoid, decide it was the previous kickout that was forced to be retaken that was the important one! Gobshites.

dublin7

Quote from: Hound on July 19, 2018, 07:33:15 AM

http://rugbylad.com/watch-luke-fitzgerald-absolutely-tears-into-paul-kimmage-in-heated-argument/

Those are the rules. You go through them to show me where it is ok to do what Dublin did last Sunday. 37:00
Three Mayo players are wrestled to the ground in the last few minutes. Disgraceful way to win all Ireland.

What complete and utter nonsense. But would hardly accept anything less. And what a stupid link to put up.

What Dublin did was not within the rules, which is why they were punished. The kickout which they had won (unfairly) was forced to be retaken, the Dubs were made play the remainder couple of minutes with one less man, and time was added on for the time wasted.

Mayo then had a kickout with an extra man. If they found that extra man, they would almost inevitably get up to a scoring position and have a chance to equalise, and Dublin's tactic would have backfired spectacularly. But the keeper kicked the ball over the sideline, so we'll never know if they would have taken that chance. So then idiots like Kimmage and Seafoid, decide it was the previous kickout that was forced to be retaken that was the important one! Gobshites.

While everything you said is correct, unfortunately it doesn't tie into the media narrative that poor auld Mayo lost yet another final.

If the dubs do win the All Ireland this year, maybe just maybe journalists migrate actually write about their achievements rather than the usual lazy mayo hard luck stories

BennyHarp

Quote from: dublin7 on July 19, 2018, 07:47:45 AM
Quote from: Hound on July 19, 2018, 07:33:15 AM

While everything you said is correct, unfortunately it doesn't tie into the media narrative that poor auld Mayo lost yet another final.

If the dubs do win the All Ireland this year, maybe just maybe journalists migrate actually write about their achievements rather than the usual lazy mayo hard luck stories

Seriously, do you think this Dublin teams achievements haven't been fully recognised by the media?
That was never a square ball!!

Solo_run

Introduce a rule where teams have to have a minimum of players remaining in the oppositions half at all times.

Rossfan

What would the sanction be?
Free?
From where?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

mrdeeds

Quote from: Rossfan on July 19, 2018, 03:10:25 PM
What would the sanction be?
Free?
From where?

Then who polices it? The ref while watching other half.

Umpires and linesmen at club games never neutral so can't be them. Goal scored. Sorry ref they had too few in half. We have to keep for up so have 15 v 11 in other half.

Ball Hopper

Free kicks and sideline kicks cannot go backwards.

Ball Hopper

Quote from: hardstation on July 19, 2018, 05:08:29 PM
Quote from: Ball Hopper on July 19, 2018, 05:00:04 PM
No issue with that. Just don't think it would have much of an impact on the game.

Yeah, a small start.  Makes everyone look forward at least. 

Rossfan

Agree with that.  Also ban " throw" points while we're at it..
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

didlyi

A free kick is supposed to be an advantage to the team taking it. If you can backpass during normal play then surely it would not be fair to punish a freetaker for playing it backwards. If your going to stop backpasses then start doing it in normal play.

Ball Hopper

Quote from: didlyi on July 19, 2018, 06:17:42 PM

A free kick is supposed to be an advantage to the team taking it. If you can backpass during normal play then surely it would not be fair to punish a freetaker for playing it backwards. If your going to stop backpasses then start doing it in normal play.

Except a free taker cannot be pressured and has time to pick out a team mate to send the ball towards.  That team mate should catch the ball forward from the kicker is hardly presenting a difficulty.

Your logic says the kick out rule of the ball going outside the 20m line before being played by the kicking team should be rescinded...hardly an improvement.

trileacman

Quote from: Ball Hopper on July 19, 2018, 06:23:50 PM

What do you do if the free is half way inside the half on the sideline?
Except a free taker cannot be pressured and has time to pick out a team mate to send the ball towards.  That team mate should catch the ball forward from the kicker is hardly presenting a difficulty.

Your logic says the kick out rule of the ball going outside the 20m line before being played by the kicking team should be rescinded...hardly an improvement.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Ball Hopper

Quote from: trileacman on July 19, 2018, 07:12:22 PM
Quote from: Ball Hopper on July 19, 2018, 06:23:50 PM

What do you do if the free is half way inside the half on the sideline?

If that is some sort of a question, I'll need a translation.  But taking a stab at what you mean, the no backward frees is not applicable inside the 20m line of the attacking team.