Tyrone v Roscommon Say 14th July at 5pm - Football chat ONLY

Started by Fuzzman, July 14, 2018, 04:02:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redzone

Roscommon players just aren't good enough. Not the managers fault, not the referees fault, nobody's fault. They are a level below the Tyrones Monaghans and donegals. Good news is yous are still in the top 10 and there is something to work with. Winning Connaught titles is probably your limit and there is nothing wrong with that

Throw ball

Quote from: Rossfan on July 15, 2018, 08:45:13 AM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 14, 2018, 09:56:11 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 14, 2018, 09:08:10 PM
It does but  the hope is gone.
I will never see Ros in an All Ireland Senior final.
The "little" Counties can't compete any more.
Quicker the second tier comes in so that we might win a game at Croker the better.
Playing div 2 football winning games against weaker teams was no use to Roscommon playing in a second tier would be the same. .

We were in D1 in 2016 and we weren't fit for 2 big games in successive weeks.
We were in D1 in 2017 and we weren't fit for 2 big games in successive weeks.
We aren't fit for 2 big games in successive weeks in 2018  not because we were in D2 but because our players are obviously physically unfit and unconditioned to do so.
FOR THE THIRD YEAR IN SUCCESSION.
That's criminal.

Roscommon are not the only team not as physically well conditioned as Tyrone and Dublin. Given the age profile of the Kerry team it would be interesting to see how they would cope against these and similarly conditioned teams.

Throw ball

Quote from: redzone on July 15, 2018, 09:01:01 AM
Roscommon players just aren't good enough. Not the managers fault, not the referees fault, nobody's fault. They are a level below the Tyrones Monaghans and donegals. Good news is yous are still in the top 10 and there is something to work with. Winning Connaught titles is probably your limit and there is nothing wrong with that

While such a gap exists in the conditioning  and system gaps between the top teams and the rest it is hard to judge if lack of ability is the problem.

RedHand88

Fear ón Srath Bán

Peter Donnelly must take a lot of the credit for the current conditioning of this Tyrone team, as Seán Cav, and others, have correctly pointed up.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Rossfan

Quote from: RedHand88 on July 15, 2018, 09:21:30 AM
McStay sounded a broken man on off the ball.
Probably dawning on him that his disdain for defending and S & C mightn't be such a good idea after all.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

omagh_gael

Some great goals scored yesterday. Smith's effort best of the lot?

BennyHarp

Whilst Tyrone undoubtedly are in great phyiscal shape, it's not all about the S&C. You need players who are prepared to put in the hard graft during matches, make the long lung bursting runs to create space or get back into a defensive position. A lot of this work is done unselfishly for the good of the team. Tyrone have about 20 of these type of players. With Roscommon and a few other teams they don't have enough players prepared to do that. I'd say physically, Roscommon lads are probably not far off Tyrone if they were to lift weights or run around a track, but the attitude on the pitch is much more important. The desire the Dublin lads show to get up and down the pitch is phenomenal and what most teams can't match. Whilst not wanting to single anyone out, Enda Smith is a wonderfully talented  footballer but fro the few times I've seen him play against Tyrone he is  not prepared to put in the hard yards which would enable a player of his talent to dominate a game, not just pop up on the periphery with a decent score from time to time, give me a Frank Burns or a Paudie Hampsey any day of the week.
That was never a square ball!!

Carmen Stateside

Thought hampsey quiet yesterday compared to previous games. Game seem to bypass him first half. 
Also i haven't seen anyone mention Morgans performance. A complete liability,  Give me O Neill any day of the week.
Sudden and the Donnelly brothers really stood out for me yesterday.  Very very impressed with Richard.

PadraicHenryPearse

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 15, 2018, 10:01:40 AM
Whilst Tyrone undoubtedly are in great phyiscal shape, it's not all about the S&C. You need players who are prepared to put in the hard graft during matches, make the long lung bursting runs to create space or get back into a defensive position. A lot of this work is done unselfishly for the good of the team. Tyrone have about 20 of these type of players. With Roscommon and a few other teams they don't have enough players prepared to do that. I'd say physically, Roscommon lads are probably not far off Tyrone if they were to lift weights or run around a track, but the attitude on the pitch is much more important. The desire the Dublin lads show to get up and down the pitch is phenomenal and what most teams can't match. Whilst not wanting to single anyone out, Enda Smith is a wonderfully talented  footballer but fro the few times I've seen him play against Tyrone he is  not prepared to put in the hard yards which would enable a player of his talent to dominate a game, not just pop up on the periphery with a decent score from time to time, give me a Frank Burns or a Paudie Hampsey any day of the week.

Benny it's sad that someone who had seen so little of ros football can pick out that trait when a lot of rossies fail to see it.  The knifes are out for management again and they are a contributing factor but they cannot make a player track back in a match or get into position quickly. You should be able to run forward as fast as you can run back.

omagh_gael

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on July 15, 2018, 10:10:46 AM
Thought hampsey quiet yesterday compared to previous games. Game seem to bypass him first half. 
Also i haven't seen anyone mention Morgans performance. A complete liability,  Give me O Neill any day of the week.
Sudden and the Donnelly brothers really stood out for me yesterday.  Very very impressed with Richard.

That's very unfair on Morgan. He tried something outside of the box to get that quick free away and was harshly blown up. Should this not have been a throw up instead of a switch of free to Ros? The second point was not his fault, the defenders didn't clear out in time for his kick out.

He did superbly on a high ball when jumping under severe pressure from A Ros forward and also caught one that was dropping over for a point. His kickouts were very good too, imo.

Kurtz

Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on July 15, 2018, 10:42:12 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on July 15, 2018, 10:01:40 AM

Benny it's sad that someone who had seen so little of ros football can pick out that trait when a lot of rossies fail to see it.  The knifes are out for management again and they are a contributing factor but they cannot make a player track back in a match or get into position quickly. You should be able to run forward as fast as you can run back.

Just watching Rossies warm up then watching Dublin
it was like Minor v Senior
Huge gap

Rossfan

How do we go about getting our game v Dublin off TV and also getting it moved to Parnell Park.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

theyellowbus

That was hard to watch yesterday i gave us a small chance on the basis we might change things around at the back which i thought was going to be the case with the team announcement and that the Tyrone performance against cork was more to do with how poor cork were.
On both counts i was wrong.we were unbelievably naive in defence and from offensive point of view Tyrone were near awesome and the most frightening thing about it there is more improvement in that side of things from them.
They punish opposition mistakes so clinically that they just sink any feeling of competitiveness a side has and slowly grind them into submission before they make a mockery of them in the last twenty minutes.
They were a much improved side from when i seen them against meath and cavan and i think thats a big reason they are going to be very hard beat this year.
They improve from game to game and learn and tweak so that the next game they have another 10-15 percent improvement got and go again and learn
They will do the same from yesterdays game especially some of the sloppiness they had in defence at certain times not much mind you.
I fear for this current squad and their mental toughness especially with the two remaining games.
We don't have enough of that toughness in us to respond to set backs especially against top sides.
An u21 semi final was mentioned earlier between the two counties a coupe of years ago and its frightening how some of the players on both sides have in Tyrone case progressed and in our case regressed.

Franko

Quote from: Syferus on July 07, 2018, 11:15:20 PM
Grudge match of the fûcking year.

Can we all just take another moment and appreciate the sheer unadulterated idiocy of this.  ;D ;D

The perpetrator seems to have taken flight again.