Gaelic Voices for Change - Dec 16th sleep out

Started by magpie seanie, December 05, 2017, 03:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Quote from: T Fearon on December 16, 2017, 09:30:10 PM
I do not understand homelessness.It was never a problem in my young day,yet money was scarce.Addicts were committed to appropriate institutions to receive treatment and often "signed in" by their families,contrary to their own wishes.

It all boils down to living within your means.

There are two reasons for homelessness as I see it,addicts who won't seek help,and people who have proved they cannot manage their finances to keep a roof over their heads.

More houses for people who are incapable of dealing with the responsibilities of household management doesn't seem to be the answer.

Being brought up in the county, I knew of men who slept in hay sheds or the back seat of old vehicles. They would try to get casual work on farms, but never begged. Any time they came into money it was spent on drink. Some snipers on here may not know, but beggars would have been moved on by the police.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

magpie seanie

Quote from: Syferus on December 16, 2017, 07:23:53 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on December 16, 2017, 02:27:49 PM
Not much interest in the Homeless/Accommodation in the Dáil it appears.
19 of the 158 attended a debate on this very important subject tester day.
2 FG
8 FF - 1 if them the Ceann Comhairle who has to be there. Our Eugene was one of  the 7.
3 SF
1 Lab
3 Loony PBP.
1 leftie Ind
1 Green.
Obviously no votes in it.
Now if it was about asking middle class townies to pay €3 a week towards the cost of public water and sewerage.......

Our homeless numbers are actually quite good so it's not fair to say people don't care, we care far more than most if you're being honest. I'm tired of the need to present societal problems like this as always being a 'crisis', albeit I'm sure many of those involved feel they only way they can get attention is by being as loud and indignant as possible.

This night has already raised 100k, good to see.

You're an ignoramus.

magpie seanie

Quote from: longballin on December 16, 2017, 10:48:46 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on December 16, 2017, 09:30:10 PM
I do not understand homelessness.It was never a problem in my young day,yet money was scarce.Addicts were committed to appropriate institutions to receive treatment and often "signed in" by their families,contrary to their own wishes.

It all boils down to living within your means.

There are two reasons for homelessness as I see it,addicts who won't seek help,and people who have proved they cannot manage their finances to keep a roof over their heads.

More houses for people who are incapable of dealing with the responsibilities of household management doesn't seem to be the answer.

You are one sick cookie

You haven't a clue what you're talking about Fearon. You've put some disgusting, ignorant shite up here but that's among the worst. Shame on you. And you supposed to be a Christian.

magpie seanie

Huge credit to all the men and women who were involved on this campaign. It's quite clear that a lot of ignorance, lack of compassion for fellow humans and misinformation is rife about this topic and the bullshit above underlines it. Hopefully the campaign will open some folks eyes but I guess there's no hope for others.

This situation is a stain on us as a people, as a society and cannot be allowed to continue. The money being wasted while lining the pockets of private investors (the most important people in the property game for the banks and their handmaidens, the politicians) in this area alone is a crime.

seafoid

Relationship breakdown, illness , lack of payrises and the artificially high cost of housing on top of no social housing built since the 80s would be the main reasons for this crisis.

Once again Mr Fearon demonstrates what a decent Christian he is .
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

T Fearon

We all endorse capitalism, and the laws of supply and demand.

The vast majority of us work damned hard to acquire and keep a roof over our heads and other basic necessities.We don't resort to  the escapism of drug abuse and support our family members and friends when they need a helping hand.

Rossfan

Just stop digoing FFS.
Have you read any of the  posts above at all?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

T Fearon

Why should someone get free housing and others have to work hard to acquire this necessity?

There is a myriad of social services available already.No one needs to be sleeping out on this island except they choose to do so.

theskull1

I'd pay more taxes, and wouldn't it be great if more of the super wealthy stood up and said the same thing for better social provision of services. Think we'd be much all be spiritually, emotionally and physically healthier if that was our modus operandi as a society.

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

T Fearon

If no one needs to be sleeping out in Belfast (the words of a trainee Methodist Cleric and member of Belfast City Centre Management) due to the myriad of social services that exist,I'm pretty sure no one needs to be sleeping out in Dublin or anywhere else on this island.

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on December 18, 2017, 09:42:57 AM
We all endorse capitalism, and the laws of supply and demand.

The vast majority of us work damned hard to acquire and keep a roof over our heads and other basic necessities.We don't resort to  the escapism of drug abuse and support our family members and friends when they need a helping hand.
There is no problem just like there was no economic suppression of Taigs pre 1969 in NI. And the parents are responsible for any rape of their kids.
And if anyone is short of money they should enter spot the ball competitions.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

outinfront

Every other thread on this board turns into this back and forth bull.

Minder

Does anyone know what the solution is ? I have read lots of different people talking about the problem of homelessness but not too many solutions
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

T Fearon

Solution is simple.Addicts institutionalised for treatment by force if necessary, and others given a short term safety net until they get back on their feet.

Rossfan

I know I shouldn't even respond to the Tony but we're not talking about the traditional down and out types only when we refer to homeless these days.
Inflated house prices,  ridiculous high private rents, no social or affordable housing being built,........
But all Tony can see is a drug addict who won't use an emergency shelter.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM