Syferus

Quote from: sligoman on June 12, 2016, 09:16:03 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 12, 2016, 09:14:23 PM
Quote from: sligoman on June 12, 2016, 09:11:29 PM
Quote from: Mano on June 12, 2016, 08:43:02 PM
Quote from: sligoman on June 12, 2016, 07:22:10 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 12, 2016, 06:17:10 PM
Quote from: Mano on June 12, 2016, 06:12:23 PM
Great astute management. Poor defence but when you are 8 points up against a superior team you get 12/13 players behind the ball. No defensive plan

I wonder how Carew is going to spin being ran off the field when the match was in the melting pot. 1/5 he mentions Harrison's injury (he had been relatively ineffectual) and Marren's black card. Knows he can beat us is it. Well..

What's your gripe with what Carew said in the buildup?

The bottom line is a Sligo side who are one of the 10 bottom teams in the country, have the begging bowl out in terms of resources and have a small pool of quality players and they had you in real bother today and beat you convincingly last year.

All I can say is that I will take some enjoyment when you come up against a decent side. Mayo will have you by 10 points and we're much closer to Roscommon than Roscommon are to Mayo.
What is he writing for the local paper anyway? Is he been paid to write for the paper?  Was the previous writer removed from the job because of his criticism of the managers lack of tactics, selection etc..
3 of the results he he presided over as Sligo manager make interesting reading
Ross 6-18 Sligo 0-12 under 21 2015
Mayo 6-25 Sligo 2-11
Ross 4-16 Sligo 2-13
The lad doesn't have a clue about modern tactical setups. We have some poor enough players in defence weaker than last year with Donovan leaving but when you turn around at halftime 8 points up you put extra defenders in there.

Don't agree on you opinion on Ross. They are far superior team to Sligo. They did seem to forgot the damage that Hughes and Marren are capable of though. Even without several players they just ran though some awful defending in the second half. Mayo or Galway will be a proper test for them and we will see what they are made of then. But they are definitely headed in a right direction and best of luck to them. I personally hope they win it even though Syffin is bit annoying.

I agree that he has big questions to answer over our set up and tactically but he is presiding over a difficult time and I don't know whether a new manager will do much better.

We've lost lots of key players from the Walsh/Breheny regime in recent years and the other lads just aren't up to it, yet anyway.

When you look at our defence there is little we can do with it. McDonnell is a midfielder, Flanagan, Devaney and Maye are only in their second season of intercounty football, Harrison and Egan are well in their 30s now and will probably call it a day after this campaign.

If we were able to play some of our better players in their natural positions we would be a good teams but sadly we can't afford to free up McDonnell into midfield, Breheny and Murphy into the forward line and so on. There's a severe lack of good footballers with the required physicality in Sligo right now.

I don't think the equation adds up that Roscommon are much better than us if our manager is clueless and doesn't know what he's at yet he's beaten a Roscommon team last year and gave them a hell of a shock this time round. The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle - Roscommon aren't that much better us and Carew isn't completely clueless. He deserves criticism but this a limited group of Sligo player seeing a big turnover of players who have served us well down the years.

Ewing, Harrison, Breheny, Marren and Egan are the only survivors of the 2012 side that narrowly lost to Mayo and 4 of them are into their 30s and will probably call it a day after this season. What's a realistic expectation for us?

We have some good midfielders that just aren't fit right now. Sligo have none, fit or not.

Do you?

Yep. Good luck tell if yourself you're not a good bit off us after that second half because it takes some serious mental gymnastics to achieve. We have about 5 or 6 starters out and we still ran the table in the second half.

sligoman

Quote from: Syferus on June 12, 2016, 09:18:16 PM
Quote from: sligoman on June 12, 2016, 09:16:03 PM
Great astute management. Poor defence but when you are 8 points up against a superior team you get 12/13 players behind the ball. No defensive plan

I wonder how Carew is going to spin being ran off the field when the match was in the melting pot. 1/5 he mentions Harrison's injury (he had been relatively ineffectual) and Marren's black card. Knows he can beat us is it. Well..

The bottom line is a Sligo side who are one of the 10 bottom teams in the country, have the begging bowl out in terms of resources and have a small pool of quality players and they had you in real bother today and beat you convincingly last year.

All I can say is that I will take some enjoyment when you come up against a decent side. Mayo will have you by 10 points and we're much closer to Roscommon than Roscommon are to Mayo.
What is he writing for the local paper anyway? Is he been paid to write for the paper?  Was the previous writer removed from the job because of his criticism of the managers lack of tactics, selection etc..
Mayo 6-25 Sligo 2-11
Ross 4-16 Sligo 2-13
The lad doesn't have a clue about modern tactical setups. We have some poor enough players in defence weaker than last year with Donovan leaving but when you turn around at halftime 8 points up you put extra defenders in there.

Don't agree on you opinion on Ross. They are far superior team to Sligo. They did seem to forgot the damage that Hughes and Marren are capable of though. Even without several players they just ran though some awful defending in the second half. Mayo or Galway will be a proper test for them and we will see what they are made of then. But they are definitely headed in a right direction and best of luck to them. I personally hope they win it even though Syffin is bit annoying.

I agree that he has big questions to answer over our set up and tactically but he is presiding over a difficult time and I don't know whether a new manager will do much better.

We've lost lots of key players from the Walsh/Breheny regime in recent years and the other lads just aren't up to it, yet anyway.

When you look at our defence there is little we can do with it. McDonnell is a midfielder, Flanagan, Devaney and Maye are only in their second season of intercounty football, Harrison and Egan are well in their 30s now and will probably call it a day after this campaign.

If we were able to play some of our better players in their natural positions we would be a good teams but sadly we can't afford to free up McDonnell into midfield, Breheny and Murphy into the forward line and so on. There's a severe lack of good footballers with the required physicality in Sligo right now.

I don't think the equation adds up that Roscommon are much better than us if our manager is clueless and doesn't know what he's at yet he's beaten a Roscommon team last year and gave them a hell of a shock this time round. The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle - Roscommon aren't that much better us and Carew isn't completely clueless. He deserves criticism but this a limited group of Sligo player seeing a big turnover of players who have served us well down the years.

Ewing, Harrison, Breheny, Marren and Egan are the only survivors of the 2012 side that narrowly lost to Mayo and 4 of them are into their 30s and will probably call it a day after this season. What's a realistic expectation for us?

We have some good midfielders that just aren't fit right now. Sligo have none, fit or not.

Do you?

Yep. Good luck tell if yourself you're not a good bit off us after that second half because it takes some serious mental gymnastics to achieve. We have about 5 or 6 starters out and we still ran the table in the second half.

And what did the first half and last year's fixture tell you?

Mano

Mayo 6-25 Sligo 2-11
Ross 4-16 Sligo 2-13

We have a good midfielder playing full back and McIntyre is usually decent but was poor enough today and didn't get round the pitch. Midfield whether you like it or not is a problem position for Ross. Shine is decent but not very mobile, Higgins has never really convinced.

Syferus

Quote from: Mano on June 12, 2016, 09:27:29 PM

Mayo 6-25 Sligo 2-11
Ross 4-16 Sligo 2-13

We have a good midfielder playing full back and McIntyre is usually decent but was poor enough today and didn't get round the pitch. Midfield whether you like it or not is a problem position for Ross. Shine is decent but not very mobile, Higgins has never really convinced.

Higgins was PotY in his last season, sadly it was 2014. Confusing Donie with Cathal. Cathal has a great motor for a big lad, as good as either of the O'Sheas in that regard. Together they were a rock solid pairing in 2014 for us. Compton and Corcoran are young lads we'll see more of. Ian Kilbride our starting midfielder from 2015 and the league is out injured too.

Mano

Mayo 6-25 Sligo 2-11
Ross 4-16 Sligo 2-13

If we are at such a crossroads maybe it's time to get a local man in to manage the team and save a lot of money on expenses, mileage or whatever the managers payments are called now. Last time we had a Sligo man we won Nestor. It's obvious he doesn't learn from mistakes and hasn't a clue tactically.

Cunny Funt

While Sligo had a good first half and tried to make lighting strike twice with another shock result it must be said their 8 point lead was extremely flattering today helped by Roscommon gifting about 2-4. Second half was one way traffic 4-10 to 0-5 the gap between a div one and three team was clear to see and Roscommon could easily have won by 15+ points

This Roscommon team are very much work in progress and probably had two targets at the start of  this year under their new management team.
1) stay up in div one
2)  reach the All Ireland quarter final via the front or back.

Only one win away from achieving those targets now.

magpie seanie

Agree completely Mano. Carew hasn't a clue and we need a local man back at the helm. No blow in mercenaries are going to save us, especially ones that continually make the same mistakes and listen to the wrong people and it's patently clear who is in his ear. I saw plenty of comments about our keeper - our best keeper played for NY this year because of the manager. We had guys well past it and lads not ready out there. Too many passengers and even some of our better lads didn't play well.

Really we could have conceded 7 or 8 goals today. And it wasn't a top 4 team this time (don't overreact Rossies, Ye may get there but Ye are not there yet).

I'm pretty disgusted with the whole thing. We haven't seen the county lads in about 6 weeks. Apparently in Kilkenny all the hurlers played with their clubs two weeks ago, as it should be. That's the one change I'd make if I was county Chairman in the morning and we'd be much better off for it. Mollycoddling doesn't f**king work.

larryin89

Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 12, 2016, 10:38:14 PM
While Sligo had a good first half and tried to make lighting strike twice with another shock result it must be said their 8 point lead was extremely flattering today helped by Roscommon gifting about 2-4. Second half was one way traffic 4-10 to 0-5 the gap between a div one and three team was clear to see and Roscommon could easily have won by 15+ points

This Roscommon team are very much work in progress and probably had two targets at the start of  this year under their new management team.
1) stay up in div one
2)  reach the All Ireland quarter final via the front or back.

They are always a work in progress . Why is that ?

Only one win away from achieving those targets now.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 13, 2016, 12:56:54 AM
Agree completely Mano. Carew hasn't a clue and we need a local man back at the helm. No blow in mercenaries are going to save us, especially ones that continually make the same mistakes and listen to the wrong people and it's patently clear who is in his ear. I saw plenty of comments about our keeper - our best keeper played for NY this year because of the manager. We had guys well past it and lads not ready out there. Too many passengers and even some of our better lads didn't play well.

Really we could have conceded 7 or 8 goals today. And it wasn't a top 4 team this time (don't overreact Rossies, Ye may get there but Ye are not there yet).

I'm pretty disgusted with the whole thing. We haven't seen the county lads in about 6 weeks. Apparently in Kilkenny all the hurlers played with their clubs two weeks ago, as it should be. That's the one change I'd make if I was county Chairman in the morning and we'd be much better off for it. Mollycoddling doesn't f**king work.
club games should be used as a break from the county setup and to give players game time

ck

We threw it up to Ross in first with the wind. The black card was a killer it has to be said, but Ross way the better side. We were wide open at times and could have conceded a whole lot more. Roscommon are not quite the team I thought they were but are getting there. I do think they'll challenge Mayo however.

It's also time for Carew to go. The word on him has been decent but we haven't improved over the last 12 months. He's given what he can give but that's it now. Personally I'm sick of these county managers touring the country picking up cheques. He obviously doesn't give a damn about our club game, I suppose why should he, but another year in charge we'll go back ways.

Rossfan

Some awful junior B stuff from us yesterday mixed with some great stuff in the 2nd half.Thatt 2nd quarter was a disgrace.
Still trying to come to terms with that turnaround. 4-10 to 0-5 !!!!
Lot of thinking for management - put in some bloody midfielders and where will we get a half back line?
Also our 3 starting full forwards ( Syfín's heroes) need to be benched and let the Smiths and hopefully Diarmuid start.
1-2 from our starting FF line over 3 quarter of the game, 1-3 from the Smiths in the last 15 minutes.
Qe are where we wanted to be but by  Jaysus are we a work in progress.....
Still a lot to do and it will be next Spring before McFod ( a Syfínism) get their right starting 15 on the field.
Meanwhile anything us possible ...from disaster to an AI SF......
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

sligoman2

I don't know how we were 8 points up at half time.  In my opinion, the only Sligo player that really played well was Pat Hughes who scored five points from play and tormented the Roscommon back line.

We have a very young full back line and our half backs were poor enough in the second half.  Once the sweeper (Gaughan) was replaced, Roscommon had a field day.

Still, there was only 4 points in the game going into the 69th minute.

At least Carew had not been afraid to bring in young talent, most of that team yesterday are in their early 20's (Kyle Cawley is 18 it think).  The second half was like a horror film.

On the bright side, we have some good minors coming up and I think we will be decent in a few years.  Congrats to Roscommon, the better team won no doubt but at least we gave ye a good kick up the arse in the first half,
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Rossfan on June 13, 2016, 12:18:28 PM
Some awful junior B stuff from us yesterday mixed with some great stuff in the 2nd half.Thatt 2nd quarter was a disgrace.
Lot of thinking for management - put in some bloody midfielders and where will we get a half back line?
Also our 3 starting full forwards ( Syfín's heroes) need to be benched and let the Smiths and hopefully Diarmuid start.
1-2 from our starting FF line over 3 quarter of the game, 1-3 from the Smiths in the last 15 minutes.
Still a lot to do and it will be next Spring before McFod ( a Syfínism) get their right starting 15 on the field.

I would agree with all of that. In fairness that performance yesterday might dampen a bit of the hype and help in the days leading up to the final. I don't think you'll beat Mayo but fully expect to see you in a QF against Kerry.

manfromdelmonte

Any half clued-in manager would have swarmed their defence for the first 10 minutes to protect that 8 point lead

Was ridiculous

PadraicHenryPearse

Quote from: Rossfan on June 13, 2016, 12:18:28 PM

either Donie or Senan should play not both. Cregg should be in the half forward line.

Senan was involved in 3/6 of the first half scores. set up a goal chance for cregg. scored the goal and laid off for the 7th point also was the player who won the penalty and still didn't play well!
need to work on the  basic errors we repeatedly  make