Ros v Shligo 12th June 2016.

Started by Rossfan, May 24, 2016, 08:45:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromdelmonte

Defenders can be much more easily coached - see Donegal.

Natural forwards are at a premium.

Mano

Great astute management. Poor defence but when you are 8 points up against a superior team you get 12/13 players behind the ball. No defensive plan

Syferus

Quote from: Mano on June 12, 2016, 06:12:23 PM
Great astute management. Poor defence but when you are 8 points up against a superior team you get 12/13 players behind the ball. No defensive plan

I wonder how Carew is going to spin being ran off the field when the match was in the melting pot. 1/5 he mentions Harrison's injury (he had been relatively ineffectual) and Marren's black card. Knows he can beat us is it. Well..

macdanger2

Quote from: moysider on June 12, 2016, 05:44:58 PM
Roscommon able to create goal chances. They must have had 10 goal chances today. That makes them dangerous opponents in final for Galway or Mayo.

Agreed. They're poor around the middle though and unless they do something to remedy that, they'll struggle to make a QF

Itchy

Quote from: Syferus on June 12, 2016, 06:17:10 PM

I wonder how Carew is going to spin being ran off the field when the match was in the melting pot. 1/5 he mentions Harrison's injury (he had been relatively ineffectual) and Marren's black card. Knows he can beat us is it. Well..

Wind got stronger maybe. A tactical genius he is not.

twohands!!!

A 17 point swing in a half will take some explaining

sligoman

Players wilted in the second half after the first goal. Losing two of our leaders in Marren and Harrison in the first half didn't help.

We've four or five really good young players in the likes of Hughes, Murphy, McDonnell, Cawley and Bregeny who we need to build the team around in the coming years and hopefully in 3 or 4 years we won't be whipping boys anymore.

I would be worried if I was a Rossie though given their aspirations. They were in real trouble there against as poor a Sligo side in 20 years and had we been smarter we could have seen it out.

We've a young side but our mental fragility is a big worry, we completely fold when things start turning against us.

Haven't seen the game back but I thought we definitely should have had a free out for the Roscommon penalty as I think Flanagan had his heels clipped as he was going for the kickout?

sligoman

What's your gripe with what Carew said in the buildup?

The bottom line is a Sligo side who are one of the 10 bottom teams in the country, have the begging bowl out in terms of resources and have a small pool of quality players and they had you in real bother today and beat you convincingly last year.

All I can say is that I will take some enjoyment when you come up against a decent side. Mayo will have you by 10 points and we're much closer to Roscommon than Roscommon are to Mayo.

Itchy

Quote from: sligoman on June 12, 2016, 07:22:10 PM

The bottom line is a Sligo side who are one of the 10 bottom teams in the country, have the begging bowl out in terms of resources and have a small pool of quality players and they had you in real bother today and beat you convincingly last year.

All I can say is that I will take some enjoyment when you come up against a decent side. Mayo will have you by 10 points and we're much closer to Roscommon than Roscommon are to Mayo.

Well I think what he said was stupid. He played up Sligo. He should have been telling everyone how Roscommon were all Ireland contenders and Sligo were underdogs. Rossies would lap that up like a kitten with a saucer  of milk.

Syferus

As Eammon O'Hara would say, what's black and white and gets hammered in Connacht every summer?

It's nice of you to be concerned about us but ye'd want to look after your own house first.

Comisterations to the rest of the Sligo lads.

Mclf

You are raving lad, Roscommon toyed with ye in the second half and are still without a good few of their best players, worry about leitrim and new York as that is who ye are near to.

INDIANA

The more I see of Roscommon the more it baffles me that they are considered this sleeping giant.

Marginally above average is how I would describe them.

sligoman

Quote from: Mclf on June 12, 2016, 07:45:41 PM

You are raving lad, Roscommon toyed with ye in the second half and are still without a good few of their best players, worry about leitrim and new York as that is who ye are near to.

Toyed with us and were what, 3 points up with a few minutes to go?

As I said Sligo have serious problems, as poor as we have been for 20 years, lost the nucleus of our team under Walsh and are currently in a major rebuilding phase and we probably should have seen it out had we been a bit shrewder. But Roscommon are not much better than us and the games between them in the last two years show that.

Sligo are in a poor state at the minute, Roscommon are little better if their Championship performances are anything to go by. If Roscommon are planning on being where they think they should be they shouldn't be 8 points down to us at HT and they shouldn't be only a score ahead with minutes remaining in the game. The problem that seems to be prevalent with Roscommon is that they have codded themselves into thinking they are a level above other teams, it's why they've been dumped out of the last two Championships despite starting games as favourites.

From the Bunker

Roscommon a step further than last year. Have got to the Connacht final and last 12 at least. Also won enough games to stay in Division One against Division One teams as opposed to Winning enough games against Division Two teams last year to get into Division One.

Don't be fooled by today's Topsy turvey game. This was Sligos biggest game of the year. It was not Roscommons (if they have any ambition). The same can be said for Mayo (if they beat Galway), it will be Roscommons biggest game. That said if they lose to Mayo their last 12 game will be just as important. Quarter Finals is where it is about in the GAA Season.

The Rossies are still tweaking, but are going in the right direction.

sligoman

Quote from: Itchy on June 12, 2016, 07:36:42 PM

Well I think what he said was stupid. He played up Sligo. He should have been telling everyone how Roscommon were all Ireland contenders and Sligo were underdogs. Rossies would lap that up like a kitten with a saucer  of milk.

Maybe he should but I don't  disagree with what he said. I don't think there is much of a gap between the two sides, they might be better than us and have more depth than us but not by the levels certain people think. We beat them last year and could well have repeated that today but so be it.