Quote from: Syferus on June 12, 2016, 09:34:59 PM
Quote from: Mano on June 12, 2016, 09:27:29 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 12, 2016, 09:14:23 PM
Quote from: sligoman on June 12, 2016, 09:11:29 PM
Quote from: Mano on June 12, 2016, 08:43:02 PM
Quote from: sligoman on June 12, 2016, 07:22:10 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 12, 2016, 06:17:10 PM
Quote from: Mano on June 12, 2016, 06:12:23 PM
Great astute management. Poor defence but when you are 8 points up against a superior team you get 12/13 players behind the ball. No defensive plan

I wonder how Carew is going to spin being ran off the field when the match was in the melting pot. 1/5 he mentions Harrison's injury (he had been relatively ineffectual) and Marren's black card. Knows he can beat us is it. Well..

What's your gripe with what Carew said in the buildup?

The bottom line is a Sligo side who are one of the 10 bottom teams in the country, have the begging bowl out in terms of resources and have a small pool of quality players and they had you in real bother today and beat you convincingly last year.

All I can say is that I will take some enjoyment when you come up against a decent side. Mayo will have you by 10 points and we're much closer to Roscommon than Roscommon are to Mayo.
What is he writing for the local paper anyway? Is he been paid to write for the paper?  Was the previous writer removed from the job because of his criticism of the managers lack of tactics, selection etc..
3 of the results he he presided over as Sligo manager make interesting reading
Ross 6-18 Sligo 0-12 under 21 2015
Mayo 6-25 Sligo 2-11
Ross 4-16 Sligo 2-13
The lad doesn't have a clue about modern tactical setups. We have some poor enough players in defence weaker than last year with Donovan leaving but when you turn around at halftime 8 points up you put extra defenders in there.

Don't agree on you opinion on Ross. They are far superior team to Sligo. They did seem to forgot the damage that Hughes and Marren are capable of though. Even without several players they just ran though some awful defending in the second half. Mayo or Galway will be a proper test for them and we will see what they are made of then. But they are definitely headed in a right direction and best of luck to them. I personally hope they win it even though Syffin is bit annoying.

I agree that he has big questions to answer over our set up and tactically but he is presiding over a difficult time and I don't know whether a new manager will do much better.

We've lost lots of key players from the Walsh/Breheny regime in recent years and the other lads just aren't up to it, yet anyway.

When you look at our defence there is little we can do with it. McDonnell is a midfielder, Flanagan, Devaney and Maye are only in their second season of intercounty football, Harrison and Egan are well in their 30s now and will probably call it a day after this campaign.

If we were able to play some of our better players in their natural positions we would be a good teams but sadly we can't afford to free up McDonnell into midfield, Breheny and Murphy into the forward line and so on. There's a severe lack of good footballers with the required physicality in Sligo right now.

I don't think the equation adds up that Roscommon are much better than us if our manager is clueless and doesn't know what he's at yet he's beaten a Roscommon team last year and gave them a hell of a shock this time round. The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle - Roscommon aren't that much better us and Carew isn't completely clueless. He deserves criticism but this a limited group of Sligo player seeing a big turnover of players who have served us well down the years.

Ewing, Harrison, Breheny, Marren and Egan are the only survivors of the 2012 side that narrowly lost to Mayo and 4 of them are into their 30s and will probably call it a day after this season. What's a realistic expectation for us?

We have some good midfielders that just aren't fit right now. Sligo have none, fit or not.
We have a good midfielder playing full back and McIntyre is usually decent but was poor enough today and didn't get round the pitch. Midfield whether you like it or not is a problem position for Ross. Shine is decent but not very mobile, Higgins has never really convinced.

Higgins was PotY in his last season, sadly it was 2014. Confusing Donie with Cathal. Cathal has a great motor for a big lad, as good as either of the O'Sheas in that regard. Together they were a rock solid pairing in 2014 for us. Compton and Corcoran are young lads we'll see more of. Ian Kilbride our starting midfielder from 2015 and the league is out injured too.

Harold and Findon made shit of that "rock solid pairing" in 2014 as you meekly exited the Championship to Armagh.
I think Roscommon were in Division 3 that year

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 14, 2016, 08:18:51 AM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 14, 2016, 08:14:45 AM
Quote from: Syferus on June 12, 2016, 09:34:59 PM
Quote from: Mano on June 12, 2016, 09:27:29 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 12, 2016, 09:14:23 PM
Quote from: sligoman on June 12, 2016, 09:11:29 PM
Quote from: Mano on June 12, 2016, 08:43:02 PM
Quote from: sligoman on June 12, 2016, 07:22:10 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 12, 2016, 06:17:10 PM
Quote from: Mano on June 12, 2016, 06:12:23 PM
Great astute management. Poor defence but when you are 8 points up against a superior team you get 12/13 players behind the ball. No defensive plan

I wonder how Carew is going to spin being ran off the field when the match was in the melting pot. 1/5 he mentions Harrison's injury (he had been relatively ineffectual) and Marren's black card. Knows he can beat us is it. Well..

What's your gripe with what Carew said in the buildup?

The bottom line is a Sligo side who are one of the 10 bottom teams in the country, have the begging bowl out in terms of resources and have a small pool of quality players and they had you in real bother today and beat you convincingly last year.

All I can say is that I will take some enjoyment when you come up against a decent side. Mayo will have you by 10 points and we're much closer to Roscommon than Roscommon are to Mayo.
What is he writing for the local paper anyway? Is he been paid to write for the paper?  Was the previous writer removed from the job because of his criticism of the managers lack of tactics, selection etc..
3 of the results he he presided over as Sligo manager make interesting reading
Ross 6-18 Sligo 0-12 under 21 2015
Mayo 6-25 Sligo 2-11
Ross 4-16 Sligo 2-13
The lad doesn't have a clue about modern tactical setups. We have some poor enough players in defence weaker than last year with Donovan leaving but when you turn around at halftime 8 points up you put extra defenders in there.

Don't agree on you opinion on Ross. They are far superior team to Sligo. They did seem to forgot the damage that Hughes and Marren are capable of though. Even without several players they just ran though some awful defending in the second half. Mayo or Galway will be a proper test for them and we will see what they are made of then. But they are definitely headed in a right direction and best of luck to them. I personally hope they win it even though Syffin is bit annoying.

I agree that he has big questions to answer over our set up and tactically but he is presiding over a difficult time and I don't know whether a new manager will do much better.

We've lost lots of key players from the Walsh/Breheny regime in recent years and the other lads just aren't up to it, yet anyway.

When you look at our defence there is little we can do with it. McDonnell is a midfielder, Flanagan, Devaney and Maye are only in their second season of intercounty football, Harrison and Egan are well in their 30s now and will probably call it a day after this campaign.

If we were able to play some of our better players in their natural positions we would be a good teams but sadly we can't afford to free up McDonnell into midfield, Breheny and Murphy into the forward line and so on. There's a severe lack of good footballers with the required physicality in Sligo right now.

I don't think the equation adds up that Roscommon are much better than us if our manager is clueless and doesn't know what he's at yet he's beaten a Roscommon team last year and gave them a hell of a shock this time round. The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle - Roscommon aren't that much better us and Carew isn't completely clueless. He deserves criticism but this a limited group of Sligo player seeing a big turnover of players who have served us well down the years.

Ewing, Harrison, Breheny, Marren and Egan are the only survivors of the 2012 side that narrowly lost to Mayo and 4 of them are into their 30s and will probably call it a day after this season. What's a realistic expectation for us?

We have some good midfielders that just aren't fit right now. Sligo have none, fit or not.
We have a good midfielder playing full back and McIntyre is usually decent but was poor enough today and didn't get round the pitch. Midfield whether you like it or not is a problem position for Ross. Shine is decent but not very mobile, Higgins has never really convinced.

Higgins was PotY in his last season, sadly it was 2014. Confusing Donie with Cathal. Cathal has a great motor for a big lad, as good as either of the O'Sheas in that regard. Together they were a rock solid pairing in 2014 for us. Compton and Corcoran are young lads we'll see more of. Ian Kilbride our starting midfielder from 2015 and the league is out injured too.

Harold and Findon made shit of that "rock solid pairing" in 2014 as you meekly exited the Championship to Armagh.
I think Roscommon were in Division 3 that year

And went in as strong favourites for the game against an Armagh side relegated to Div 3.

You'd have made a lot of money laying Roscommon in Championship games over the past 4/5 years.

theyellowbus

A real Jekyll and Hyde performance if there ever was one.That game on Sunday basically summed up everything good and bad about this Roscommon side.
We have a big problem at midfield in terms of physicality and is a worry going into a Connacht Final against either side with no problems in that area.
However something is telling me that our management will have something in terms of tactics/different personnel to hopefully combat that weakness.
A couple of things we can take from this game is 1) Collins is one of our most important players now in terms of leadership/presence and has to start at 3 the next day.
2)Our half forward line contributed to everything good we did throughout the game and really will be hard to drop any of these.
3) We need an inside forward line that includes a fit D Murtagh to have a chance against a top side.
4)Enda Smith will have to have a bigger say in the next game.
5) We don't seem to have any defensive system in place which is a huge worry as top teams will destroy us without proper protection for our full back line.

Rossfan

HB line, midfield and FF line all need major improvement.
We have the forwards to rectify the FF line.
We have a number of midfielders in various stages of recovery
Compton light 21 year old, Corcoran who has about 10 minutes of Senior Inter co football, C Shine who hopefully will be able to play in the CF, Higgins who is unlikely to be ready.
HB line - a good no 6 badly required
We also need someone in the FBD line who can deal with big garryowens boomed in on top of us.

So if we meet Galway we might win a score fest but is as likely it's th'other lot then a single figure defeat is the best we can hope for.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

My only worry with Compton playing against the big hairy bullocks is them landing clumsily on him. Poor lad has had too many injuries than he deserves. Talent-wise he's as good as any of Mayo's midfielders but he may not be there physically yet. Cathal had a bib on before the match but wasn't really warming up. If he was flying I'd be very confident we could give Mayo a proper game.

theyellowbus

I can see us crowding the middle third with players and trying to set up a line across the middle trying to negate the influence Mayo (i believe they will beat galway) have around this area.
Using maybe E Smith or C Cregg as extra runners with our half forward line and possibly Shine and Corcaran starting in the middle with these backed up by Keenan,Daly and Murray/McManus.
Emptying the bench in the 2nd half with the likes of  Compton,Higgins,Harney (if both are fit) D Smith will hopefully inject some extra pace when needed and give us a chance to stay within touching distance.
Isolating Murtagh and possibly Shine inside will hopefully garner enough scores to keep us in the game long enough to maybe cause a shock but that's a big if.

Syferus

Quote from: theyellowbus on June 14, 2016, 12:56:00 PM
I can see us crowding the middle third with players and trying to set up a line across the middle trying to negate the influence Mayo (i believe they will beat galway) have around this area.
Using maybe E Smith or C Cregg as extra runners with our half forward line and possibly Shine and Corcaran starting in the middle with these backed up by Keenan,Daly and Murray/McManus.
Emptying the bench in the 2nd half with the likes of  Compton,Higgins,Harney (if both are fit) D Smith will hopefully inject some extra pace when needed and give us a chance to stay within touching distance.
Isolating Murtagh and possibly Shine inside will hopefully garner enough scores to keep us in the game long enough to maybe cause a shock but that's a big if.

Would be extremely surprised to see Shine and Corcoran start. You can nearly count on your hands the minutes they've played combined this year. Shine has some chance but Tom Corcoran even though I'd rate him as our best midfielder at underage of recent years and in the mold of the sort of player were in desperate need of he doesn't seem to be featuring. Based on what I've seen Compton is nearer starting than either for the CF. Ideally I'd be pairing Shine with one of the younger lads but injuries and the like means we've never even seen that combination. Would be the most ballsy and out of character selection by McFOD for two of the three to start the CF.

6 is as big as midfield for us, maybe even more so. CF isn't the place to be experimenting but Mulhooly looked mad for ball when moved out and showed in flashes his ability. Built for either 3 or 6 but his youth means his discipline can let him down, more so in being too willing to go into attack than just sitting back rather than fouling. Such a young lad but he has a big future imho.

theyellowbus

Yeah Syf but maybe now is the time to be ballsy.How many times have we gone to Castlebar in  the last 10/12 years playing Mayo and been on the end of some awful bad defeats because we didn't try something different.
I genuinely believe we have one chance to win this and that means getting everything from preparation to team selection spot on.I have no doubt that the management will leave no stone unturned  in terms of getting a result.I also believe that we will see some  different names on the team sheet as i do think the lads have been keeping some of their tactics/best 15 under their sleeves.
They know that to have a chance to beat a top 4 team like Mayo they need something different.
What that is is anyone's guess.However all i do know is if we set up like we have so far since the league semi final we are in for another big defeat.