Colm O'Rourke vs. the GPA

Started by Jinxy, October 26, 2014, 07:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

Have to give it to O Rourke on this. He has taken on the greedy hoors.

Jinxy

Quote from: lurganblue on November 13, 2017, 12:51:42 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on November 13, 2017, 11:08:23 AM
O'Rourke raised a few valid points alright and overall I am in broad agreement with him. But he has developed a habit of late that irritates me. You could call it the Swelled Head Syndrome.
I mean he takes it for granted that every one who reads his column already knows what happened between him and the GPA sometime in the past. There have been a few other instances of this as well but the present article is a good example of what I mean.
Take the following: "Hardly surprising that I am not on the GPA's mailing list but I am quite sure readers will be interested in at least some of the work of this body during 2016.
It is not altogether true that the GPA ignored me, or at least the Meath players of the past, this year."
WTF knows or cares what happened in the past? He is dealing with the present and shouldn't assume anything about what happened before now.
He assumes that his readership has been avidly reading his column and should be aware of whatever rows he's had with the GPA in the past.
A touch of the Tony Fearon style is beginning to show here. :D

Agreed. I for one haven't a notion of what he is on about in relation to past grievances.

Colm wrote an article critical of the GPA and a text was sent out to the membership telling them to go after him on social media.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

joemamas

Quote from: Jinxy on November 13, 2017, 06:12:44 PM
O'Rourke raised a few valid points alright and overall I am in broad agreement with him. But he has developed a habit of late that irritates me. You could call it the Swelled Head Syndrome.
I mean he takes it for granted that every one who reads his column already knows what happened between him and the GPA sometime in the past. There have been a few other instances of this as well but the present article is a good example of what I mean.
Take the following: "Hardly surprising that I am not on the GPA's mailing list but I am quite sure readers will be interested in at least some of the work of this body during 2016.
It is not altogether true that the GPA ignored me, or at least the Meath players of the past, this year."
WTF knows or cares what happened in the past? He is dealing with the present and shouldn't assume anything about what happened before now.
He assumes that his readership has been avidly reading his column and should be aware of whatever rows he's had with the GPA in the past.

Agreed. I for one haven't a notion of what he is on about in relation to past grievances.

Colm wrote an article critical of the GPA and a text was sent out to the membership telling them to go after him on social media.

Q why is he the only person in the mainstream media to address this ??

Syferus

Quote from: joemamas on November 13, 2017, 06:42:52 PM

Media relationships with the body representing the entire current player base is probably more important to them than that with one ex-player, or even the truth.

manfromdelmonte

as a teacher, he's not afraid to call a spade a spade

how many teachers or ex teachers are involved in running the GPA?
very few, I'd imagine.

Jinxy

Quote from: joemamas on November 13, 2017, 06:42:52 PM

He doesn't need access to players for interviews.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

TheGreatest

Maybe the GPA can give some of that money to Peadar Heffron.

Avondhu star

Quote from: joemamas on November 13, 2017, 01:41:22 PM
Quote from: Avondhu star on November 13, 2017, 01:39:43 PM
Quote from: joemamas on November 13, 2017, 01:35:56 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 13, 2017, 09:45:00 AM
Quote from: Owenmoresider on November 13, 2017, 09:22:56 AM
I see Colm has resumed hostilities in yesterday's paper. The details included are interesting to say the least:
https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/colm-orourke-what-really-intrigued-me-from-the-gpa-financial-report-was-the-wage-bill-36311178.html

Rossfan will defend them. Seanie won't. Etc. Fwiw, O'Rourke is bang on with this one.

+1

He is bang on the money, excuse the pun.

oh btw, the GPA is non for profit  ::)

So was Goal and Console

And your point is ?
How thick are you?
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Esmarelda

Is this a fact, as in have the GPA admitted as much?

Rossfan

Just Meath paranoid solidarity now that they're not much good at football any more ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

rosnarun

there was an article on ball.ie on the a text sent by the GPA but article seems to be gone now
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

LooseCannon

Quote from: rosnarun on November 14, 2017, 02:59:03 PM
there was an article on ball.ie on the a text sent by the GPA but article seems to be gone now

Money talks€€€€

AZOffaly

Quote from: screenexile on January 26, 2018, 03:28:38 PM
Dermot Early's stepped down . . .

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/dermot-earley-steps-down-as-gpa-chief-executive-36534364.html

What do the GPA currently do? Serious question. I'm not trying to lead, but what are they actually currently involved in? I know they are helping GAA players for life after the GAA (my Father did some work with them regarding interview techniques, CV preparation etc) but aside from that, what are they at? Is there still furore over player welfare etc, or is all that gone by the wayside?

LooseCannon

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 26, 2018, 03:32:21 PM
Quote from: screenexile on January 26, 2018, 03:28:38 PM
Dermot Early's stepped down . . .

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/dermot-earley-steps-down-as-gpa-chief-executive-36534364.html

What do the GPA currently do? Serious question. I'm not trying to lead, but what are they actually currently involved in? I know they are helping GAA players for life after the GAA (my Father did some work with them regarding interview techniques, CV preparation etc) but aside from that, what are they at? Is there still furore over player welfare etc, or is all that gone by the wayside?

As a former player, didn't know then, don't know now.

All I know is a quick gander at their website shows up a picture of Donal óg.
That's all I need to know to put me off them even more.