Colm O'Rourke vs. the GPA

Started by Jinxy, October 26, 2014, 07:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Quote from: Rossfan on January 25, 2016, 06:34:22 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on January 25, 2016, 05:37:24 PM
That's like asking how many mechanics have applied to join the INMO.
County and non County players are all Gaelic Players.
Mechanics are not nurses.
I'd have expected better from you Croì :-\

The GPA represents only county players and specifically excludes club players from membership. That's why its name is a misnomer and its mandating by the GAA to be the "players' representative body" is outrageous as it denies club players representation. It also puts their affairs in the hands of an organisation that works against their interests, given that any gains won for inter-county players are at the expense of all other members of the GAA, and especially club players in a zero sum resources/benefits game.

Zulu

Quote from: Hardy on January 25, 2016, 06:40:25 PM

The GPA represents only county players and specifically excludes club players from membership. That's why its name is a misnomer and its mandating by the GAA to be the "players' representative body" is outrageous as it denies club players representation. It also puts their affairs in the hands of an organisation that works against their interests, given that any gains won for inter-county players are at the expense of all other members of the GAA, and especially club players in a zero sum resources/benefits game.

How's that now?

I'm always bemused by these calls for a GPA for club players, if such an organisation did exist then it would require a large number of employees and significant funding to address the numerous issues club players may have, not to mention dealing with 32 county boards. Providing club players with a proper season is largely what we should be doing but the GAA, the clubs themselves and most supporters won't make the changes necessary to allow that. No point complaining about what others are doing\not doing when you're (by that I mean the wider GAA) doing nothing yourself.

Beffs

Quote from: Rossfan on January 25, 2016, 05:09:06 PM
How many non County players have joined it or applied to?

None. The GPA wasn't set up to address the concerns of every club player in the country. It was set up specifically for inter county players only. So giving them a hard time for not addressing the plight of the club player isn't really fair. They never claimed to be the voice of the club player in the first place.

rrhf

Quote from: Beffs on January 25, 2016, 11:25:50 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on January 25, 2016, 05:09:06 PM
How many non County players have joined it or applied to?

None. The GPA wasn't set up to address the concerns of every club player in the country. It was set up specifically for inter county players only. So giving them a hard time for not addressing the plight of the club player isn't really fair. They never claimed to be the voice of the club player in the first place.
Tell me what is the difference in your eyes in terms of the way they should be treated within the gaa.

Croí na hÉireann

Wasn't a dig Rossfan and Hardy has succinctly expanded on my point.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Rossfan

What do non County Club players actually want?
( as opposed to GAAboarders moaning about the ICGPA).

Noted Croì ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AZOffaly

Non county club players would have several issues I imagine. Chief amongst them is a total disregard for their lives in terms of a planned fixture list. Club fixtures are completely at the behest of the county game, and as such a club player (including the county lads by the way) has no idea if/when he can even take a holiday during the year.

Club players are also facing increased demands in terms of preparation. Diet, nutrition, rest and recovery, strength and conditioning etc etc. It would be very useful to have a central body that could advise or help clubs in this area. A lot of clubs feel they should be doing S&C etc, but I'd say a good few of them haven't a clue, and are probably doing more harm than good. A players body that could provide guidance and advice there would be great.

A centralised club players body that could organise things like interview training, online courses etc etc would be helpful.

So off the top of my head I see 2 areas that could be set up immediately which would be of a meaningful help to club players, and 1 topic which is central to the GAA, at county and club level, but where the club voice is being completely ignored. The GAA says it has the club at its core, but it is being led around by the big revenue generator. It either needs to cut the ties between the club and county game entirely, or else start structuring the organisation in a way that benefits the most members, not just the ones involved in the county season.

heffo

Quote from: Rossfan on January 26, 2016, 10:05:25 AM

Noted Croì ;)

I'd suggest they want a defined club calendar where holidays and other milestones can be planned - not one drafted in January which everyone knows won't be adhered to.

A shorter IC season and less power for IC managers to effectively cancel the club championships until the IC season is over.

A kick in the ass for ineffective CCC's that can't run off Championships even when their IC team was knocked out months earlier.

Zulu

So people want a better structure to the season but still want the provincial championships and have them linked to the All Ireland!! Many also want dual IC players and lads able to play U21 and senior IC. A perfect example of the 'club man' being the biggest problem.

heffo

Quote from: Zulu on January 26, 2016, 10:41:22 AM
So people want a better structure to the season but still want the provincial championships and have them linked to the All Ireland!! Many also want dual IC players and lads able to play U21 and senior IC. A perfect example of the 'club man' being the biggest problem.

Where are you drawing the conclusion for the second part from?

Someone in HQ should show leadership and present options for a condensed IC season, options where if you play U21, you don't play Senior or Sigerson until the conclusion of your involvement in that competition.

IC teams go back training in the autumn because in a lot of cases there is an outside manager getting paid by the week who would get less money in a shorter season so he's calling the shots.

The IC season is far too long and gaps between matches are too long.

AZOffaly

We were asked a question about what a Club GPA could do. I provided 3 areas they could look at. I didn't mention any of the things you've said there, so not sure where you got that. Also, I'm pretty sure the 'club man' is not the biggest PROBLEM, he is the biggest VICTIM of the calendar problem.

For the record, I'm in favour of a player only playing in one grade (i.e. U21 v Senior). I'd scrap the Sigerson, or play it instead of the 3rd level Leagues in the winter. And I think dual IC players will look after itself, I don't think you need to legislate for it.

As regards the calendar, I think serious work could be done there, but the proposals I like are those which give defined periods. Not necessarily those which seem to want to increase the number of meaningless county games.

AZOffaly

Rossfan

Quote from: heffo on January 26, 2016, 10:18:16 AM

Noted Croì ;)

I'd suggest they want a defined club calendar where holidays and other milestones can be planned - not one drafted in January which everyone knows won't be adhered to.

A shorter IC season and less power for IC managers to effectively cancel the club championships until the IC season is over.

A kick in the ass for ineffective CCC's that can't run off Championships even when their IC team was knocked out months earlier.
All of the above are matters that can be resolved by the GAA with a bit of will and common sense.
Mind you most County Senior teams' seasons are ended by around 10th July so that's surely short enough for them to have county finals played before 1st October.
Inter County managers have no official powers - Co Boards accede to their requests to postpone Club games.

Restricting eligibilities, downgrading third level college games to being a nice diversion from studies, designated weekends one per month in May/June/July/Aug for Club championship games only, shorter time frame for IC Championships.....
Would be a start.

Of course the ICGPA can't do any of those things but don't let that stop the usual suspects from blaming them for everything.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AZOffaly

I never said the existing GPA should do any of that. They have always said they are only interested in the county players' interests. That's fair enough.

I do think a club players body looking at some of the stuff I mentioned would be very useful.

I also think any proposal to restructure the season emanating from the body which is focussed on intercounty games and players is naturally going to focus almost exclusively on that aspect, and only consider the club side of things where it impinges on the county schedule.

I seriously think that unless the club is really put back in the centre, and the county game is reined in a bit in terms of demands on players, that the only sustainable solution is to just split the club and county scenes completely, and I think the GPA would support that.

heffo

Quote from: Rossfan on January 26, 2016, 11:14:21 AM
Quote from: heffo on January 26, 2016, 10:18:16 AM

Noted Croì ;)

All of the above are matters that can be resolved by the GAA with a bit of will and common sense.
Mind you most County Senior teams' seasons are ended by around 10th July so that's surely short enough for them to have county finals played before 1st October.
Inter County managers have no official powers - Co Boards accede to their requests to postpone Club games.

Restricting eligibilities, downgrading third level college games to being a nice diversion from studies, designated weekends one per month in May/June/July/Aug for Club championship games only, shorter time frame for IC Championships.....
Would be a start.

Of course the ICGPA can't do any of those things but don't let that stop the usual suspects from blaming them for everything.

I'm not blaming the GPA for not resolving the above - they're perfectly entitled to define the scope of what they're going to look after/concentrate on. As Az said, it's now taken as a given that IC players will get a baseline of services that they wouldn't have gotten pre-GPA.

I'm saying some group should be looking after the club player - whether that comes from Croke Park or a new group setup I don't know