Started by Olly, October 08, 2019, 08:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Vienna - Ultravox
I could never take the place of your man- Prince
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

magpie seanie

Quote from: laoislad on October 09, 2019, 07:59:44 AM
Why would anyone be afraid to admit they like 80s music. Music peaked in the 80s. The greatest era of them all imo.

I could pick a hundred songs. I do like a bit of REO Speedwagon - Keep on loving you if I had to pick one.

Hard to bate an 80s Power ballad.

+1 from me to that. Always have Now 80's on the TV. Brilliant era for music.

RedHand88

There's a monthly 80s night in McHughs I think it is in belfast. Shows the popularity of the era even today.

quit yo jibbajabba

Some of the TOTPs from the 80s are always worth tuning into

When they were bad they were woeful but yes a great era overall

BennyCake

Does Today FM still do their Friday night 80's?

laoislad

Quote from: BennyCake on October 09, 2019, 03:25:55 PM
Does Today FM still do their Friday night 80's?
No they stopped it a long time ago I think. Before I was married I would go back home every friday night for the weekend from Dublin. Used to always have friday night 80s on as I drove home.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

johnnycool

Quote from: RedHand88 on October 09, 2019, 03:02:35 PM
There's a monthly 80s night in McHughs I think it is in belfast. Shows the popularity of the era even today.

as long as they avoid that SAW formulaic dirge that would be a good night.

Stock
Aiken
Waterman

For you young lads.

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Armamike

The 80s had something for everybody.  Bands/tunes then that wouldn't have particularly stood out, sound great now.  For me, the peak of the 80s was the Live Aid era.  Some brilliant bands and musicians at their peak then. Simple Minds, Bowie, Queen, U2, the Cars etc. Great time.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Olly

One of the best 80s songs was Put Them Under Pressure for the 1990 championships in Italy
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

Eamonnca1

Why would anyone be afraid to admit they like 80s music. Music peaked in the 80s. The greatest era of them all imo.

I could pick a hundred songs. I do like a bit of REO Speedwagon - Keep on loving you if I had to pick one.

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be. There was plenty of dross in the 80s like any other decade, we only remember the good stuff. I sat and watched an old episode of Top of the Pops one time lately and wondered how I ever sat through that rubbish back in the day. For every Madonna singing Like a Virgin there's a dozen forgettable oh-please-god-is-it-nearly-over-yet abominations like Love Missile F-111 by Zigue Zigue Sputnik.

armaghniac

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 09, 2019, 09:35:09 PM
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be. There was plenty of dross in the 80s like any other decade, we only remember the good stuff. I sat and watched an old episode of Top of the Pops one time lately and wondered how I ever sat through that rubbish back in the day. For every Madonna singing Like a Virgin there's a dozen forgettable oh-please-god-is-it-nearly-over-yet abominations like Love Missile F-111 by Zigue Zigue Sputnik.

Perhaps it is just me, but watching the old Top of the Pops on BBC4 the later 80s shows a decline, but then there was some terrible crap 10 years before too. But Rick Astley and Kylie are not in the canon of all time great music.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

GetOverTheBar

I don't know a man who can't admit George Michael had some great stuff in that period too.

Nearly time for his most famous of all too.....can't believe it's only a few months away.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 09, 2019, 02:30:40 PM

+1 from me to that. Always have Now 80's on the TV. Brilliant era for music.
LL is right for a change. Heard Pretty in Pink and I Ran (So Far Away) on the radio in the last few days and was reminded how good these songs are. I couldn't name you anything in the Top 10 today.

BennyCake

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on October 10, 2019, 12:55:56 PM
I don't know a man who can't admit George Michael had some great stuff in that period too.

Nearly time for his most famous of all too.....can't believe it's only a few months away.

Other than probably Careless Whisper, I wasn't really a big fan of any of his 80's stuff. He had a great voice though.