What should be different in a United Ireland?

Started by seafoid, April 06, 2016, 05:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: MoChara on April 08, 2016, 11:25:39 AM
I can give you an unreasonable reply if you'd prefer? lol

I agree both systems have their issues and I would be inclined for a meeting in the middle obviously my sentiments would be pulled strongly to the left.

I've heard the current set-up described more as a Corporatocracy than Capitalism which to be fair I find accurate Big Business has more power than a lot of nations and where they don't have power they have strong influence. Even so far as private Defence contractors (mercenary private armies) make up close to 50% of all american military personal in Iraq.

Capitalism is credited as being defined by Adam Smith and even he warns about the system we have today,the mercantile system was the standard then where markets were ring fenced by one company/enterprise, which is exactly what we have today just looking at the drinks industry Diageo and Coca Cola have it wrapped up and can destroy their competition with no risk, meaning the thought that goods and work will balance and find there true values cannot take effect.

Agree with this.

Reminds me of this old song: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sixteen_Tons

You load sixteen tons, what do you get
Another day older and deeper in debt
Saint Peter don't you call me 'cause I can't go
I owe my soul to the company store

That song is about the life of a miner who gets credit from the company store to buy supplies, and then works to pay off the credit. Today's companies are 'too big to fail'. So when they get in trouble we have to bail them out, leaving us ever deeper in debt.
MWWSI 2017

Keyboard Warrior

Quote from: Rossfan on April 08, 2016, 11:19:17 AM
Good discussion Muppet and no chara but in reality in a new All Ireland set up the same well heeled crowd, business/law/medicine/property etc would still be calling the shots and most Politicians would be up their rear ends.

The great only seem great because we are on our knees: Let us rise.

Rossfan

Quote from: Keyboard Warrior on April 08, 2016, 12:26:45 PM
Good discussion Muppet and no chara but in reality in a new All Ireland set up the same well heeled crowd, business/law/medicine/property etc would still be calling the shots and most Politicians would be up their rear ends.

And then what?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 08, 2016, 07:48:51 AM
Quote from: seafoid on April 08, 2016, 01:32:46 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 08, 2016, 12:02:30 AM
Quote from: MoChara on April 07, 2016, 08:57:02 AM
I'd outlaw private Health care, health shouldn't be the preserve of the Wealthy.

Who'd pay for the free health care??
Efficiency savings. You could probably fund it just by banning the use of taxis LOL\
The HSE is a trough for piggies and rent seekers and nobody cares because the infinitely deep pockets of the taxpayer are ultimately responsible.
work practices are a joke
As is the attitude of the consultants

Ok what efficiency savings are we talking about?? Seriously some people think that countries can maintain free health care and not take a hit elsewhere in the pocket.... Its a fine balance, pay what you can afford health care, the rich pay more than the poor for health based on yearly incomes.... But everybody pays something otherwise it wont be able to sustain it
There is an awful lot of fat in the health care system. Computer systems are crap.  Budget management is crap. A friend of mines mother was in hospital in Galway on a Saturday and needed a test result  2 floors up and there was nobody to collect it cos porters do not work weekends. Use of taxis is gratuitous. Central ordering is a joke. The consultants take too much money out. Treatment of junior doctors is dangerous for patients.
MRSA is rampant.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on April 08, 2016, 01:44:18 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 08, 2016, 07:48:51 AM
Quote from: seafoid on April 08, 2016, 01:32:46 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 08, 2016, 12:02:30 AM
Quote from: MoChara on April 07, 2016, 08:57:02 AM
I'd outlaw private Health care, health shouldn't be the preserve of the Wealthy.

Who'd pay for the free health care??
Efficiency savings. You could probably fund it just by banning the use of taxis LOL\
The HSE is a trough for piggies and rent seekers and nobody cares because the infinitely deep pockets of the taxpayer are ultimately responsible.
work practices are a joke
As is the attitude of the consultants

Ok what efficiency savings are we talking about?? Seriously some people think that countries can maintain free health care and not take a hit elsewhere in the pocket.... Its a fine balance, pay what you can afford health care, the rich pay more than the poor for health based on yearly incomes.... But everybody pays something otherwise it wont be able to sustain it
There is an awful lot of fat in the health care system. Computer systems are crap.  Budget management is crap. A friend of mines mother was in hospital in Galway on a Saturday and needed a test result  2 floors up and there was nobody to collect it cos porters do not work weekends. Use of taxis is gratuitous. Central ordering is a joke. The consultants take too much money out. Treatment of junior doctors is dangerous for patients.
MRSA is rampant.

So throw more at it to fix those problems you've mentioned?? Throwing more money away... Up north a few years ago they made a minimum payment for prescriptions... What happen?? People complained, elections were coming up and they dropped the charge on prescriptions!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 08, 2016, 07:42:54 PM
So throw more at it to fix those problems you've mentioned?? Throwing more money away... Up north a few years ago they made a minimum payment for prescriptions... What happen?? People complained, elections were coming up and they dropped the charge on prescriptions!!

Not throw more money in general, but aim more money quite precisely at some of these bottlenecks. Particularly IT could be much better used in health.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

MoChara

Quote from: armaghniac on April 08, 2016, 09:56:17 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 08, 2016, 07:42:54 PM

Not throw more money in general, but aim more money quite precisely at some of these bottlenecks. Particularly IT could be much better used in health.
r
The NHS is the North developed an IT system a few years ago that cost them a fortune and then decided not to use it baffling.

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on April 08, 2016, 12:51:32 PM
Quote from: Keyboard Warrior on April 08, 2016, 12:26:45 PM

And then what?
Very interesting stuff happening in France with the nuit debout phenomenon. Power should be afraid of the people. The issue is not are there dollars to educate our children. The issue is do we want to educate our children.