Avoiding rates on new house- NI

Started by giveherlong, April 09, 2018, 11:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Quote from: Kidder81 on April 14, 2018, 01:14:09 AM
Quote from: Mario on April 14, 2018, 01:12:39 AM
I bought an apartment in Belfast 2 years ago and I've never received a rates bill. Will I get caught eventually?

I wouldn't bet on it, say nothing

No i was in 6 years then they asked me how long i'd lived there. I said a year. This is common apparently and they don't follow up. I think there is some truth in the building control thing as I was living in a place withoutit. (In fact construction company went bust so it was never coming.)

giveherlong

Anybody apply and get the agricultural relief lately?
Is it hard to get if you have a DARD business ID but aren't doing a pile of farming?

Hereiam

Have a rates review at my house in the morning and really the only thing i can hit them with is that i'm not tapped into mains water. Is there any tips you can give to help.

Yuredan

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 26, 2018, 08:21:47 PM
Quote from: Kidder81 on April 14, 2018, 01:14:09 AM
Quote from: Mario on April 14, 2018, 01:12:39 AM
I bought an apartment in Belfast 2 years ago and I've never received a rates bill. Will I get caught eventually?

I wouldn't bet on it, say nothing

No i was in 6 years then they asked me how long i'd lived there. I said a year. This is common apparently and they don't follow up. I think there is some truth in the building control thing as I was living in a place withoutit. (In fact construction company went bust so it was never coming.)

Really? Surprised they're that lax about it.

giveherlong

Quote from: Hereiam on October 24, 2018, 09:18:32 AM
Have a rates review at my house in the morning and really the only thing i can hit them with is that i'm not tapped into mains water. Is there any tips you can give to help.

Examples of what other similar size houses in area are paying- find out the house number and street and google eg. "21 Main Street, Coalisland LPS" will give you the value
This is your best bet if you can get a like for like house paying less

Throw in the usuals like no street lighting, no footpaths, no winter gritting, no school buses, no broadband, no verge cutting, no mobile phone reception, potholes etc

Might not be much help but may sway your case
Do a bit of research on similar sized houses paying less is your best bet from experience

the goal was on

giveherlong, I've looked and there are several house valued less than my, even though they are much larger! Can i use this to my advantage without implicating the other houses?

giveherlong

Not sure of the exact process but don't think you would be implicating anyone
You are just pointing out you are overrated, the similar houses are what you should be based on
Beware of garages/sheds on these other houses or your own since last evaluation
Sheds are usually rateable unless agricultural- see Stephen Brimstone for tips!

Hereiam

Had them out. Waste of time as mains connection etc dont count towards the capital value of house. Environmental factors only count if it is right next door to u.

markl121

How does view affect it? Thats mad, does someone come out and put a value on your view? wonder whats more valuable, mountains or lakes? Totally subjective surely