Mark Sidebottom

Started by Clown, July 19, 2010, 02:14:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clown

bigfrankt

Monaghan were 5 points down with 22 mins left to play.

Sidebottom "The Gaa will be happy that Tyrone are lifting the cup as opposed to Monaghan as there's less likely to be a pitch invasion now"

What an utter c**t!!

BerfArmagh

Will Hunting

I always feel he says too much whenever he's commentating. For a couple of minutes yesterday he was flat out, barely without a breath. You're not commentating on radio Mark!

the colonel

Quote from: bigfrankt on July 19, 2010, 02:21:48 PM

Sidebottom "The Gaa will be happy that Tyrone are lifting the cup as opposed to Monaghan as there's less likely to be a pitch invasion now"

What an utter c**t!!

Bit presumptious however you know rightly that if Monaghan would have won the pitch would have been bunged.

I don't think he's too bad and thats a Cushendall man saying that about a Glenariffe man
the difference between success and failure is energy

Clown

his use of nicknames for players is OTT and at times cringeworthy

For a few minutes yesterday he was flat out at it - Hub Hughes onto Ricey McMenamin, and Ricey now onto Mugsy Mulligan...........

5 Sams

He's definitely not the worst commentator on the telly....doesnt make half as many mistakes as other more experienced national broadcasters.

If all yiz have to complain about is his use of nicknames then oul "Side arse" is doing alright. ;)
The Aristocrat Years

johnneycool

Quote from: the colonel on July 19, 2010, 02:31:25 PM
Quote from: bigfrankt on July 19, 2010, 02:21:48 PM

What an utter c**t!!

Bit presumptious however you know rightly that if Monaghan would have won the pitch would have been bunged.

I don't think he's too bad and thats a Cushendall man saying that about a Glenariffe man

Is he not a naturalised Bredagh man now?

Minder

I would agree slightly about the nicknames but they are all at it, Mary Martian, Canning. Mark is a gent and I would say he isn't too bothered what a few "anonymous lunatics" on here think of him. I would take him before Ger "let's watch that in reprise" Canning or Marty any day of the week.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

sammymaguire

there's always Ger Canning on RTE lads  ;)  some classics here

And Brian Dooher is down injured. And while he is, I'll tell ye a little story. I was in Times Square in New York last week, and I was missing the Championship back home. So I approached a news stand and I said: "I suppose ye wouldn't have The Kerryman, would ye?" To which the Egyptian behind the counter turned to me and he said: "Do you want the North Kerry edition or the South Kerry edition?". He had both. So I bought both. And Dooher is back on his feet.
Micheal O Muircheartaigh

1-5 to 0-8... Well, from Lapland to the Antarctic, that's level scores in any man's language.
Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh

A wonder score by Joe Canning. That young man can walk on water. From now on it should be Joe 4-7 instead of John 3-7.
Brian Carthy
The RTE Gaelic Games Commentator on Joe Canning scoring 4-7 for Galway against Clare in 2008 All-Ireland Under 21 Hurling semi final.

Teddy McCarthy to John McCarthy, no relation, John McCarthy back to Teddy McCarthy, still no relation.
Micheal O Muircheartaigh

He grabs the sliotar... he's on the 50 ... he's on the 40 . . he's on the 30 ... he's on the ground.
Micheal O Muircheartaigh

I saw a few Sligo people at Mass in Gardiner Street this morning and the omens seem to be good for them. The priest was wearing the same colours as the Sligo jersey! Forty yards out on the Hogan Stand side of the field Ciarán Whelan goes on a rampage, it's a goal. So much for religion.
Micheal O Muircheartaigh
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

A Quinn Martin Production

I was listening to Ger Canning's radio commentary on the Connacht final.  For the first five minutes or so he was under the misapprehension that Mayo were playing Monaghan!
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

norabeag

Quote from: sammymaguire on July 19, 2010, 02:49:04 PM
there's always Ger Canning on RTE lads  ;)  some classics here

And Brian Dooher is down injured. And while he is, I'll tell ye a little story. I was in Times Square in New York last week, and I was missing the Championship back home. So I approached a news stand and I said: "I suppose ye wouldn't have The Kerryman, would ye?" To which the Egyptian behind the counter turned to me and he said: "Do you want the North Kerry edition or the South Kerry edition?". He had both. So I bought both. And Dooher is back on his feet.
Micheal O Muircheartaigh

1-5 to 0-8... Well, from Lapland to the Antarctic, that's level scores in any man's language.
Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh

A wonder score by Joe Canning. That young man can walk on water. From now on it should be Joe 4-7 instead of John 3-7.
Brian Carthy
The RTE Gaelic Games Commentator on Joe Canning scoring 4-7 for Galway against Clare in 2008 All-Ireland Under 21 Hurling semi final.

Teddy McCarthy to John McCarthy, no relation, John McCarthy back to Teddy McCarthy, still no relation.
Micheal O Muircheartaigh

He grabs the sliotar... he's on the 50 ... he's on the 40 . . he's on the 30 ... he's on the ground.
Micheal O Muircheartaigh

I saw a few Sligo people at Mass in Gardiner Street this morning and the omens seem to be good for them. The priest was wearing the same colours as the Sligo jersey! Forty yards out on the Hogan Stand side of the field Ciarán Whelan goes on a rampage, it's a goal. So much for religion.
Micheal O Muircheartaigh

Sheer class! Man is a legend

Gaffer

When is the last time you heard Colm Cooper called by his proper name by commentators?
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Orior

If commentators worried about the shite said about on this board then they would never work again.

For me, commentators are a bit like referees. They can have good games and bad games. They will never please all the people all of the time. But, as long as they are professional, and meet the general criteria for commentating, then they are doing okay.

So, what do you smart people believe are the criteria for good commentating?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

AZOffaly

Some of their verbal tics annoy me alright, like Canning's 'a HUGGGE one in there'.

But really only Canning annoys me, and that's because he's so smug and condescending. He's an opinionator rather than a play by play announcer (to borrow an Americanism). They guy beside you who's played for years is the fella we would be looking for opinions from Ger. You just tell us who has the ball, if you can.