Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barnish oggie

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on July 22, 2022, 10:36:29 AM
Quote from: bannside on July 22, 2022, 10:18:55 AM
On a serious note, St Brigid's look to be getting their act together at juvenile level. Strong at U13,  U15 and U17. Could be a conveyor belt that delivers St Brigid's into a top two or three club in the coming years if they can keep them.
Has their act not been together for a good while now?

Yeah I think St Brigids and St Pauls are going to be forces to be reckoned with if they keep those teams together and bring them onto senior in the next 5-10 years.

Obviously you will continue to have Cargin and Creggan up there too but I think the two Belfast teams will be challenging.

Belfast GAA man

what fo the Gaelfast team do during summer months? dont say Cul Camps lads cos they wre there before Gaelfast
would be good to see them out doing something new

barnish oggie

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on July 22, 2022, 10:55:19 AM
Not overly convinced on St Paul's but would like to be proven wrong.

I know they are well set up at u15 and u17 which is what i am basing that on.

I would have said they would be as likely to make it as St Brigids.

PG1 then seem to be a couple of years behind them with strong u11 and u13 teams.

But it all depends on being able to bring the strong nucleus of each team through to senior which may or may not happen.

paddyjohn

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on July 22, 2022, 11:39:40 AM
what fo the Gaelfast team do during summer months? dont say Cul Camps lads cos they wre there before Gaelfast

Last I heard they were out about bonfires helping to build them. Bit of cross community

country bumpkin

Quote from: barnish oggie on July 22, 2022, 11:44:31 AM

PG1 then seem to be a couple of years behind them with strong u11 and u13 teams.

But it all depends on being able to bring the strong nucleus of each team through to senior which may or may not happen.

The Cargin minor team which won the minor championship 2020 were beaten by 51 points in an under 14 game 2016

Spike

Quote from: country bumpkin on July 22, 2022, 11:59:53 AM

The Cargin minor team which won the minor championship 2020 were beaten by 51 points in an under 14 game 2016

Coaching plus culture?   St Brigids have been productive at underage for a time now but seem to bridge that gap from minors to senior

Saffsof82

On a serious note, St Brigid's look to be getting their act together at juvenile level. Strong at U13,  U15 and U17. Could be a conveyor belt that delivers St Brigid's into a top two or three club in the coming years if they can keep them.

Conveyer belt in fine BS, but has to be end product. Serious questions need asked at senior level at Musgrave Park. Too much talent being wasted or not even given a chance.

Saffsof82

Bit of  trump propaganda there. Yous have been consistently winning Sw div 2 titles for the last ten years at underage. Not just winning, but humiliating the opposition. Eg. Your u20 football team last season was excellent, yous should have won the A championship, unfortunately for yous you had 2 red cards in the first 30 mins of the semi, still only lost by a couple of points. This was a team who played div2 and won the who,e way up through Sw. Perhaps if you had actually entered them in div 1 those lads would have learned a bit of discipline when they were actually put under pressure and Tir na Nog would have an A county title

EOC1923

Quote from: Saffsof82 on July 22, 2022, 11:30:41 PM

Conveyer belt in fine BS, but has to be end product. Serious questions need asked at senior level at Musgrave Park. Too much talent being wasted or not even given a chance.
What talent Bs? name one player other than James Loughrey produced that was top class. It's a numbers game at u12-16 they do well at these ages yes. Their senior team hasn't made any headway in last 15 years. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Saffsof82

Quote from: EOC1923 on July 22, 2022, 11:49:01 PM
Quote from: Saffsof82 on July 22, 2022, 11:30:41 PM

Would mostly agree EOC, huge numbers at juvenile. But having watched the senior set up at last number of years I get the impression there is no long term plan. Tried to be bully boys for the first few league games, lol, don't have the personnel for that, so where to now?
What talent Bs? name one player other than James Loughrey produced that was top class. It's a numbers game at u12-16 they do well at these ages yes. Their senior team hasn't made any headway in last 15 years. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Milltown Row2

There shouldn't be big panic at St Brigid's when you bring so many through you can only play 15 it's trying to keep 10 other people happy and competing for places....

They just need (as said above) to find the right tactics/manager/luck/approach

How do you do that? Cargin have used the league as a great place to blood players the last few years, having county players means you've also no choice to bring those lads on, it's been a win win for them

Creggan also had to do it this year for various reasons, it's worked well for them.

Big panels, rotation, a happy camp.. playing your best team every week isn't always a good thing, working the same game plan is
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: paddyjohn on July 22, 2022, 11:59:36 AM

Last I heard they were out about bonfires helping to build them. Bit of cross community
tut tut . Discussion board is for Discussion

paddyjohn

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on July 23, 2022, 02:30:19 PM
Quote from: paddyjohn on July 22, 2022, 11:59:36 AM

tut tut . Discussion board is for Discussion

Yeah but not that same nonsense all over again.

geezer

Looking forward to the championship getting under way this weekend. My early predictions for the senior are:

QF stage
Cargin v LD
Creggan v Rossa
Aghagallon v moneyglass
PG1 v Whitehill

Semis
Cargin v Creggan
Aghagallon v PG1

Final
Cargin v PG1

Cargin winners.

No doubt that will be well off the mark but do fancy Cargin to win it this year.

belfastsaff

don't be surprised if ST john's LD or Rossa pip one of the big '2'. PG1 hard to look past going on league form for the other side imo. Hopefully be a shock or two on Sunday to keep it interesting !