Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last Man

Yes they appear to be given the latitude to play with that sort of abandon and it's a joy to behold. I get the impression we are holding some of players back because we can afford to take the chance it might not work. I do believe we have similar characters who struggle with our rigid tactics.

NAG1

Quote from: Last Man on June 14, 2022, 11:49:38 AM
Yes they appear to be given the latitude to play with that sort of abandon and it's a joy to behold. I get the impression we are holding some of players back because we can afford to take the chance it might not work. I do believe we have similar characters who struggle with our rigid tactics.

Lynch and TJ are once in a generation players, they dont need to be coached and luckily they have worked with managers who have recognised this and let them at it.

But you better believe the other 14 players are drilled to within an inch of their life to the tactical systems employed by their teams.

We just are short a few more players and consistently playing at this level week in week out to get up to that speed of play for 80 minutes. That is why we drop off at points in the game, just not used to the intensity over that period of time.

groundlie

Antrim and Kerry should both have been allowed 2 weeks to prepare for the preliminary qualifying games. 6 days is an absolute joke. Yes momentum etc etc but the Joe McDonagh final was played on a big field, on a warm day and was very competitive. It would definitely have taken a lot out of the players. Next year start the season a week earlier and if its Offaly and Laois in the preliminary games give them 2 weeks to prepare. One thinks the GAA see these lower tier competitions was a nuisance.

marty34

Quote from: groundlie on June 14, 2022, 05:31:50 PM
Antrim and Kerry should both have been allowed 2 weeks to prepare for the preliminary qualifying games. 6 days is an absolute joke. Yes momentum etc etc but the Joe McDonagh final was played on a big field, on a warm day and was very competitive. It would definitely have taken a lot out of the players. Next year start the season a week earlier and if its Offaly and Laois in the preliminary games give them 2 weeks to prepare. One thinks the GAA see these lower tier competitions was a nuisance.

I think a week is fine. Just rest and recovery that week.

Get tactics and match ups sorted etc.

Wexford and Cork have to do the same this week.

Saffrongael

Quote from: marty34 on June 14, 2022, 06:05:40 PM

I would tend to agree, it's not as if Antrim had a totally hectic schedule, Kerry round Robin was two weeks before the final, and players were rested for that game. I think a week is fine, especially when you are at home.

Munster championship games were all played with a weeks break
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Tony Baloney

In the old days you'd have brickies and farmers on squads where a week of rest would be impossible.

marty34

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 14, 2022, 09:12:18 PM

In the old days you'd have brickies and farmers on squads where a week of rest would be impossible.

But them lads weren't in the gym twice a week. They were naturally fit lads.

groundlie

Yeah fair points I can't disagree. However, it's basically an all Ireland and I think it would be fitting of the GAA to allow both teams a 2 week period to prepare.

johnnycool

Quote from: Saffrongael on June 14, 2022, 06:15:46 PM

I would tend to agree, it's not as if Antrim had a totally hectic schedule, Kerry round Robin was two weeks before the final, and players were rested for that game. I think a week is fine, especially when you are at home.

Munster championship games were all played with a weeks break

Munster (and Leinster) teams played two weeks on the bounce and then a free weekend in between.

ck

We still have this is my club. "Recovery days" usually involve lifting concrete blocks and shoveling sand and cement into the mixer.

marty34

Quote from: ck on June 15, 2022, 11:03:41 PM

We still have this is my club. "Recovery days" usually involve lifting concrete blocks and shoveling sand and cement into the mixer.
[/quote

Hardy boys!

No core work needed with them lads.]

johnnycool

Laboured on sites for brickies during my student days, never as fit in my life and there were no telehandlers then as is now, the soft shítes...

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on June 16, 2022, 09:19:25 AM

Laboured on sites for brickies during my student days, never as fit in my life and there were no telehandlers then as is now, the soft shítes...

Was in between jobs and my da was not having me lay around the house, so he took me out to labour for him on the building sites, christ that was an eyeopener for me with regards to heavy labour, but as you say, I was never as strong as that again, I enjoyed the craic at the time but after about 10 months I went back to engineering, the soft touch!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ck

Quote from: johnnycool on June 16, 2022, 09:19:25 AM

Couldn't agree more. We have a man who comes in to do weights with out senior team and he's on record as saying those who labour are much less likely to get injured than those who sit at a desk or drive every day. It's playing out that way as most all of our injured players at the moment are students and 9-5ers. The labourers are all fit and well and hurling away.

Milltown Row2

Tragic news on hearing Casey's untimely death last night.. have ref'd him few times and was looking forward to the fixture they played after their all Ireland win when they up against Sarsfields at the bear pit.

Both teams were missing players, but speaking to the Dungannon manager they had few that were away the weekend before at a stag weekend (probably for this wedding) but they were in good form from the win at Croke park, was keen to congratulate the players for not only their win but managing to put up with CJ  ;)..

Casey was the standout player that night and got the usual close attention you get from the Paddies when you're half decent. Tagged on a goal and a rake of points that night..

Plenty potential to grow into an even better player and drive Tyrone and his club on, dark times for his family friends and his club
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea