Who’s Been Cancelled??

Started by screenexile, June 20, 2020, 11:56:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

I think it's harsh if you listen to what he said he just worded it badly.

He's apologised but as with these things it doesn't matter... nobody else has ever misspoken before so they want him hung out to dry!

Main Street

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 05, 2022, 01:09:27 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 05, 2022, 01:06:50 PM
Quote from: Estimator on August 05, 2022, 11:53:13 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 05, 2022, 11:50:50 AM
Quote from: screenexile on August 05, 2022, 11:49:04 AM
Martin Tyler!!

Sports guy?

Tyler, 76, said: "It was very pioneering. We didn't know quite how the [new] structure of the league would work, we certainly didn't know how satellite television as it was called in those days would work. But it was a great adventure. 3,000 live matches later...it does seem that it worked.

"You've got to remember that football was in a bit of a crisis at that time. We weren't that long after Hillsborough and other hooligan-related issues as well. It was very much a difficult time for the game generally.

Seriously he was pulled for talking about hooligan related issues? wow

No. For saying that Hillsborough was a hooligan issue when it's been proven it wasn't. Disgusting thing to say.
He didn't say Hillsborough was a hooligan issue, his statement was ambiguous but he clearly denies  linking the two issue together. I think there is considerable doubt that he should be given the benefit of.

On the BBC he talked about his career
"It was a great adventure and 3,000 live matches later – not all commentated by me, thankfully for the public – it does seem like it worked," Tyler said. "You have got to remember football was in a bit of a crisis at that time. We weren't that long after Hillsborough and other hooligan-related issues as well, so it was very much a difficult time for the game generally."

later on Sky he said
"This morning, while discussing various crises facing football 30 years ago, I referred to some examples including the Hillsborough disaster and also controversy over hooliganism at matches," .
"These are two separate issues. There is no connection at all between the Hillsborough disaster and hooliganism – I know that, and I was not implying that there was. I apologise sincerely and wholeheartedly for any misunderstanding."

Milltown Row2

I read it as two separate issues.. I suppose you see what you want to see.. By all means hit him if he has brought it up in the past
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

quit yo jibbajabba

The word "other" doing a lot of the heavy lifting here. Poor phrasing and theres little doubt hes not a Pool fan but id give him the benefit of the doubt on this one. Wont stop the fume though...

RedHand88

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 05, 2022, 01:44:52 PM
I read it as two separate issues.. I suppose you see what you want to see.. By all means hit him if he has brought it up in the past

Do you not know the meaning of the word "other"?

markl121

Not one bit shocked regarding Tyler. Has hated Liverpool for years and his "apology" was an apology that people misunderstood as opposed to apologising for saying it. When you hear him say it its cool and calm and deliberate. Hope he gets banned from Anfield.

RedHand88

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on August 05, 2022, 02:05:04 PM
The word "other" doing a lot of the heavy lifting here. Poor phrasing and theres little doubt hes not a Pool fan but id give him the benefit of the doubt on this one. Wont stop the fume though...

I'd say putting the words "Hillsborough" and "hooligan" in the same sentence does alot of the lifting.

quit yo jibbajabba

"Football was a bit shit in the late 80s. We'd had Hillsborough, we had trouble with hooligans and other stuff"

Not easy to be word perfect in a live interview. Like i say id give him benefit of the doubt. Maybe shouldve been asked for clarification or taken to task straightaway and for this youre then looking at the bbc on this

markl121

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on August 05, 2022, 02:49:12 PM
"Football was a bit shit in the late 80s. We'd had Hillsborough, we had trouble with hooligans and other stuff"

Not easy to be word perfect in a live interview. Like i say id give him benefit of the doubt. Maybe shouldve been asked for clarification or taken to task straightaway and for this youre then looking at the bbc on this
he says "Hillsborough and other hooligan related issues" Clear difference

gallsman

Quote from: markl121 on August 05, 2022, 02:41:09 PM
Not one bit shocked regarding Tyler. Has hated Liverpool for years and his "apology" was an apology that people misunderstood as opposed to apologising for saying it. When you hear him say it its cool and calm and deliberate. Hope he gets banned from Anfield.

The f**king state of this. Between this and your manufactured outrage at northern fenians at the commonwealth games, you're having quite a week.

RedHand88

Cant even get the quote right ffs. If he'd said what you typed it would have been fine.  But he didn't. He said something completely different.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: markl121 on August 05, 2022, 02:51:54 PM

he says "Hillsborough and other hooligan related issues" Clear difference

He didn't say hooligans caused Hillsborough. It's like looking for something to beat them with.. Bit like Jamie and his view on the GAA, a slip up and in it goes
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

markl121

Quote from: gallsman on August 05, 2022, 02:54:08 PM
Quote from: markl121 on August 05, 2022, 02:41:09 PM

The f**king state of this. Between this and your manufactured outrage at northern fenians at the commonwealth games, you're having quite a week.
Maybe watch a Liverpool game commentated by Tyler before spouting shite. As for the commonwealth games I actually said I was going, just find it odd that Fenians are running about with a defunct loyalist flag which I don't think is a far stretch.

RedHand88

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on August 05, 2022, 02:55:39 PM
"Hillsborough and other, hooligan related, issues."

https://twitter.com/tomdunn26/status/1555469234150559744?t=Srhbx7BYbHQnzk7ZUYAozQ&s=19

Why are you putting the commas in to try to defend him? Listen to the actual clip and tell me why you felt the need to put commas in to defend him when there is no gap in the sentence he actually says.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 05, 2022, 02:59:01 PM
Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on August 05, 2022, 02:55:39 PM
"Hillsborough and other, hooligan related, issues."

https://twitter.com/tomdunn26/status/1555469234150559744?t=Srhbx7BYbHQnzk7ZUYAozQ&s=19

Why are you putting the commas in to try to defend him? Listen to the actual clip and tell me why you felt the need to put commas in to defend him when there is no gap in the sentence he actually says.

Ok the question is, do you think he meant hooligans caused Hillsborough ?