Started by Dougal Maguire, November 25, 2018, 12:34:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: screenexile on November 28, 2018, 09:49:54 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on November 28, 2018, 07:33:09 AM
Quote from: rrhf on November 28, 2018, 12:45:47 AM
The crescent and sphinx. Where was the chaplaincy rings a vague bell here

Down near the bottom of eglantine avenue

It was down Elmwood Avenue in my time to the left hand side of the Union.

Chaplaincy was always a decent spot for a lunchtime feed now definitely!!
Yes left side of Elmwood close to the Lisburn Road side. Father Joe Gunn was the chief when we were knocking about it.

johnnycool

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 27, 2018, 07:12:21 PM
Johnny from your post I can age you like looking at rings in a tree  ;D. Like myself I would say you got the bus to the big smoke in '93 or '94 (I started 94).

Too obvious for you Tony. 95 I left that nonsense behind and was gainfully employed but still resided in the Holylands for another few years before moving out to the leafy South Belfast Suburbs.

omaghjoe

Quote from: screenexile on November 26, 2018, 10:41:16 PM
Quote from: markl121 on November 26, 2018, 10:35:54 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on November 26, 2018, 09:42:55 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 26, 2018, 09:35:31 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on November 26, 2018, 09:34:25 PM
Quote from: trailer on November 26, 2018, 09:29:20 PM
Renshaw's was mental. Session permanently on in it. Any day. Any time. Always happy hour.
Always loads of birds. Not the sort you'd introduce to your Mammy but grand for an old curt and a fumble.
Good times.

It was a serious spot. 3 pints for a £5. A simpler time. Anyone remember the night club down the road from it? Behind what i think is a holiday inn? Was it called karma?
It was Orpheus in my day.

Probably the same place alright, down the alley? It was always a wile carry on. Think your man lost the licence because there was that much ganching going on around it.
Is that not the spot that's called menagerie now? On down university street beside the holiday in? We never had the balls to go into it Cos it looked abandoned.

No Orpheus was a part of the holiday inn while Menagerie was a stoner bar not far from it.

Ah the Meangerie... what a spot! By the looks of it still goin in its original form too!

SHEEDY

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on November 28, 2018, 06:34:14 AM

The Crescent was some spot, sawdust on the floor and 50p a pint!
the crescent was a dodgy spot in early 90's belfast. used to go there regularly on a thursday night for a feed of cheap pints before heading on somewhere else, usually the bot. we had to change our names and all lived in kilkeel if anyone asked, all for cheap drink  ;D
nil satis nisi optimum

rrhf

Started in 93. Crescent Was as dodgy as hell a five spot got you 10 peach schnapps as soon as you got to the bar and
In fairness  the bouncers with their local knowledge would have gave a heads up if it wasn't the night to hang around. Only in one handlin outside it.  nitThere was an understanding of sorts. Some place for getting a curt..Sunday night the eg  Monday night can't remember suspect the  bun an ti Tuesday the fly, wed the bot Thursday night the speakeasy or elms.

Milltown Row2

The locals knew fine rightly all the students upstairs were taigs! Never put a foot through the door, local knowledge would ensure we didn't get a beating or worse
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

rrhf

Exactly and therin lies the strange Belfast that was that era. Arrange safety- call it what you will. But fair play to all who let the students play away.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: rrhf on November 28, 2018, 09:38:10 PM
Exactly and therin lies the strange Belfast that was that era. Arrange safety- call it what you will. But fair play to all who let the students play away.
Whoever was directly getting the profits or a cut thereof no doubt didn't mind all the students spending money.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 28, 2018, 09:44:57 PM
Quote from: rrhf on November 28, 2018, 09:38:10 PM
Whoever was directly getting the profits or a cut thereof no doubt didn't mind all the students spending money.

There was a few incidents though no more so than what happened outside the bot
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

screenexile

What about TriBeCa Belfast?? International Heart Belfast soul!!

It's a bit rip offy for me surely they could have come up with something a bit more original.

RedHand88

Quote from: screenexile on November 28, 2018, 09:49:54 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on November 28, 2018, 07:33:09 AM

Down near the bottom of eglantine avenue

It was down Elmwood Avenue in my time to the left hand side of the Union.

Chaplaincy was always a decent spot for a lunchtime feed now definitely!!

Correction you are right.

RedHand88

Quote from: screenexile on November 28, 2018, 10:24:48 PM
What about TriBeCa Belfast?? International Heart Belfast soul!!

It's a bit rip offy for me surely they could have come up with something a bit more original.

Awful. Just awful.

trueblue1234

Any advice for where to park on street to go SSE Arena tonight? Hearing the parking on site is complete nightmare with 1 hr to get out. Don't mind a 10 min walk if it gets us away quickly.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

RedHand88

Quote from: trueblue1234 on October 23, 2022, 03:49:27 PM
Any advice for where to park on street to go SSE Arena tonight? Hearing the parking on site is complete nightmare with 1 hr to get out. Don't mind a 10 min walk if it gets us away quickly.

Can you still park along Sydenham Road where the Audi place and all is? If so I would try it.

delgany

Quote from: trueblue1234 on October 23, 2022, 03:49:27 PM

Few options
Park along sydenham road , where audi / porsche garages are.
Eastside park n ride is handy too. Few off street car parks along there as well.