Ros v Galway Connacht Final 2019

Started by Rossfan, May 28, 2019, 09:26:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cornetto

Galway panel away on a bonding weekend better spell "bonding" right,
jeez I'm sure they are watching the champions league final maybe a beer or two??🍺🍺

giveballaghback

Hope they bond as well as Mayo did on their training camp in NY.

larryin89

Quote from: giveballaghback on June 01, 2019, 09:00:16 PM

Obsessed
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

giveballaghback

Quote from: larryin89 on June 01, 2019, 09:06:27 PM
Quote from: giveballaghback on June 01, 2019, 09:00:16 PM

Obsessed
Are you really obsessed larryin, I know a lad that can help you with that. ;D

Manning18

McStay in the examiner......."In my own bailiwick, things have taken a surprising turn. Galway-Roscommon is a fixture for the fourth year in a row but – because of the draw in 2016 – also the fifth final in those four years. It is a rivalry that has become very hard to read. The draw in 2016 was in the balance and Roscommon had chances to win it. In 2017, Galway were favourites and were well beaten."

"In 2018, Galway were again expected to win and having been there, I can say that Roscommon had that game won but for a few small breaks. It is a contest of fine margins despite the bookies' sense of it." He says he expects Roscommon to come through as champions.

You'd have to wonder what kind of delusional supper time chatter himself and Liam McHale were using to reassure themselves for the last few years, with the nonsense thats come out from each in the last 2 weeks. Just because you draw a game doesnt mean you automatically shouldve won it. Roscommon stole a draw in 16, Galway kicked chances away and Flynn and Walsh messed up the easiest chance of all time to win it near the death. Hammered Ros in the replay. He thinks Roscommon had the 2018 meeting "won but for a few small breaks". A few "small breaks" that allowed Galway to win by a full 4 points in a low scoring game, even despite a sucker punch penalty against the run of play. Surely what happened in the Super 8s afterwards confirmed the relative standings of both sides? In the fairylands of McHale and McStay, Roscommon are going for 4 in a row in Connacht. We should really let the world know of such dominance

Rossfan

17 seems to have slipped you memory  :D
McStay in full flow all over the media these days!!
Nicely overlooking the fact that he wouldn't select certain players who would have strengthened the team in 2018.

Meanwhile we still wait for Galway's long promised (since 2015 anyway) World domination.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Manning18

17 was a well deserved Roscommon victory. But I don't see Paddy Tally Or Brian Silke or the likes on saying Galway should be going for their 4th Connacht in a row, nobody is deluded enough to dispute 17. Its very ironic that McStay is on thinking he or Ros were unlucky, when they got drawn against Leitrim in 2 years to make those finals, Sligo the other year and made the Super 8s last year by getting beaten by Galway and beating D3 Armagh

seafoid

Quote from: Manning18 on June 04, 2019, 02:24:32 PM
McStay in the examiner......."In my own bailiwick, things have taken a surprising turn. Galway-Roscommon is a fixture for the fourth year in a row but – because of the draw in 2016 – also the fifth final in those four years. It is a rivalry that has become very hard to read. The draw in 2016 was in the balance and Roscommon had chances to win it. In 2017, Galway were favourites and were well beaten."

"In 2018, Galway were again expected to win and having been there, I can say that Roscommon had that game won but for a few small breaks. It is a contest of fine margins despite the bookies' sense of it." He says he expects Roscommon to come through as champions.

You'd have to wonder what kind of delusional supper time chatter himself and Liam McHale were using to reassure themselves for the last few years, with the nonsense thats come out from each in the last 2 weeks. Just because you draw a game doesnt mean you automatically shouldve won it. Roscommon stole a draw in 16, Galway kicked chances away and Flynn and Walsh messed up the easiest chance of all time to win it near the death. Hammered Ros in the replay. He thinks Roscommon had the 2018 meeting "won but for a few small breaks". A few "small breaks" that allowed Galway to win by a full 4 points in a low scoring game, even despite a sucker punch penalty against the run of play. Surely what happened in the Super 8s afterwards confirmed the relative standings of both sides? In the fairylands of McHale and McStay, Roscommon are going for 4 in a row in Connacht. We should really let the world know of such dominance

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/kevin-mcstay-mayo-s-progress-to-super-8s-far-from-guaranteed-1.3913549

"Galway-Roscommon is a fixture for the fourth year in a row but – because of the draw in 2016 – also the fifth final in those four years. It is a rivalry that has become very hard to read. The draw in 2016 was in the balance and Roscommon had chances to win it. In 2017, Galway were favourites and were well beaten.
Only three Roscommon starters in the Mayo match also featured in last year's Connacht final
In 2018, Galway were again expected to win and having been there, I can say that Roscommon had that game won but for a few small breaks. It is a contest of fine margins despite the bookies' sense of it.
Now, it looks like Damian Comer will be out for Galway and he is such a central figure in their attack. But for Roscommon, Niall McInerney, Cathal Compton and Ciarán Murtagh are also unavailable.
Tough test
In fact, only three Roscommon starters in the Mayo match also featured in last year's Connacht final. That is an extraordinary turnover of players. People rightly think of Roscommon as a small county. But there are 12 lads floating about this summer who started last year's final who won't start this year if Anthony Cunningham sticks with the same team. And in my time, I was also dealing with the issue of players not available.
So if you tease it out, the Roscommon bench against Mayo included Enda Smith, Conor Devanney, Diarmuid Murtagh, Brian Stack, Donie Smith and Fintan Cregg. Those substitutes, in terms of experience and know-how, were well ahead of what Mayo were bringing in to the same game.
That would be lost in terms of a general analysis of that match. So the Connacht final is not a one-sided contest from my point of view. I genuinely can't figure out Galway. I can't decide if they are a true All-Ireland contender or not or even confidently see them in the Super 8 series. This is a tough test for them.
Those wides have been a recurrent theme in Mayo football for the last 40 years
Things like the venue, the league and form have not really entered the equation between Galway and Roscommon. Already, what Roscommon have achieved this year in the championship is remarkable. And I still see the final as a 50-50 game and have no reason to believe they can't win it. They will be in a healthy position in that final.

The All-Ireland favourites, Dublin, will be in the Super 8 series. I believe Kerry, Tyrone and Roscommon will be provincial winners and so will join them. After that, fate and luck comes into it."
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Rossfan on June 04, 2019, 02:48:39 PM
17 seems to have slipped you memory  :D
McStay in full flow all over the media these days!!
Nicely overlooking the fact that he wouldn't select certain players who would have strengthened the team in 2018.

One thing for sure is that if Ros win on the 16th they'll get full credit from Galway, beating both Mayo and Galway en route to win a Connacht title would demand it. Perhaps on reflection McStay and McHale might say the same thing about Galway being deserving winners after having to go through Mayo and Roscommon in 16 and 18 if they actually bothered to think on it with even a modicum of critical faculty. After a poor first half once Galway upped it in the second there was only one team in the match in the final last year, the Rossies shot execution went to hell altogether and the notion that "Roscommon had that game won but for a few small breaks" is a nonsense.
I wouldn't argue with him that's it's very much a 50/50 final though, championship form lines to date favour Roscommon - if Mayo had somehow squeaked through the semi-final they'd be hot favourites to win the final - but Galway will surely up the performance level for the match.

QuoteMeanwhile we still wait for Galway's long promised (since 2015 anyway) World domination.
Don't know of anyone outside of Colm Parkinson who predicted an All Ireland (even he didn't stretch to "World domination") to come along for Galway in this era of Dublin pre-eminence but certainly correct me on that if you've any other examples.

giveballaghback

Ye are all overlooking the Galway supporters narrative that they took their eye off the ball in 17, how disrespectful to Roscommon, I see Ros easy passage to the super 8 last year was mentioned but not the Galway blowout against Tipp in 16, one of the easiest quarter final draws since the back door began.

An Fhairche Abu

Disrespectful to Roscommon? How many of us are going around saying we deserved to win the last 3 Connacht titles? The answer is none because we were well beaten in 2017 and have to acknowledge that.
Meanwhile Roscommons management team for those years is making out like ye were robbed out of it in 2016 and 2018 somehow. Did Roscommon not have another opportunity to win the second day out in 2016 the same as Galway? What happened that day?
Between McHale, McStay, Brady and Maughan the shit talk from ex Mayo players is off the charts the last few weeks.

Luckily for both teams in the Connacht final anything that has happened prior to throw in in Salthill later this month won't matter when the ball is thrown in.

galwayman

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 04, 2019, 09:02:47 PM
Disrespectful to Roscommon? How many of us are going around saying we deserved to win the last 3 Connacht titles? The answer is none because we were well beaten in 2017 and have to acknowledge that.
Meanwhile Roscommons management team for those years is making out like ye were robbed out of it in 2016 and 2018 somehow. Did Roscommon not have another opportunity to win the second day out in 2016 the same as Galway? What happened that day?
Between McHale, McStay, Brady and Maughan the shit talk from ex Mayo players is off the charts the last few weeks.

Luckily for both teams in the Connacht final anything that has happened prior to throw in in Salthill later this month won't matter when the ball is thrown in.
I struggle to believe that any media outlet would actually pay money to David Brady for his "punditry".
He has to be the biggest jokeshop out there.
Whilst I disagree completely with McStay in this instance (re the shudda won 3 in a row shite) I actually like him as a pundit in general.
He's one of the better ones out there.

Manning18

Quote from: giveballaghback on June 04, 2019, 08:28:59 PM
Ye are all overlooking the Galway supporters narrative that they took their eye off the ball in 17, how disrespectful to Roscommon, I see Ros easy passage to the super 8 last year was mentioned but not the Galway blowout against Tipp in 16, one of the easiest quarter final draws since the back door began.

That's a laughable comparison. Roscommon got beat in their one test, beat a D3 team. Galway in 2016 beat a top 3 team away from home, beat Ros and screwed up when the draw finally gave them a break. It's the irony of McHale insinuating he is as unlucky during his stint. He was a very lucky manager with how draws worked out. He wasn't unlucky in either final he lost and it's up to him to convince players to commit, not complain about it afterwards

weareros

Quote from: Manning18 on June 04, 2019, 10:13:34 PM
Quote from: giveballaghback on June 04, 2019, 08:28:59 PM

That's a laughable comparison. Roscommon got beat in their one test, beat a D3 team. Galway in 2016 beat a top 3 team away from home, beat Ros and screwed up when the draw finally gave them a break. It's the irony of McHale insinuating he is as unlucky during his stint. He was a very lucky manager with how draws worked out. He wasn't unlucky in either final he lost and it's up to him to convince players to commit, not complain about it afterwards

Wouldn't disagree with that. McStay and McHale now need to get off the stage. Cunningham is a low key manager, what Ros need, and doesn't need this nonsense background noise. Besides the Galway of 2017 were a div 2 team that just got promoted. Since then they've had two solid years in Div 1 and an All-Ireland semi final appearance plus multiple defeats of Mayo. This is a much more formidable and mature outfit. They as I said earlier were by far the better team in 2016 and 2018.

Rossfan

Definitely want to get off the stage as far as trying to rewrite history is concerned.
They ended up as big failures with us so move on lads.
Keep ye're media gigs by all accounts but just talk about this year's Championship or formats or whatever but stop the self serving sh1te.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM