Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

He was Mayor of London so it's a few years ago...........

J70

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 14, 2022, 09:24:26 AM
I know politicians tell lies but has there ever been anyone told as many lies as this boy? Basically it just seems a given that if he says something it's a lie or if he says something is going to happen it won't.

The Economist are arguing that Boris has never hidden his utter cynicism, lack of principles and complete dedication to transactional politics. People just voted for him anyway.

https://www.economist.com/britain/2022/01/15/what-did-you-expect-from-boris-johnson

Trump lies with impunity as well, also with the purpose of bolstering his own, personal position and interests above all else.

Trump scares the f**k out of me. Boris doesn't. But then I'm personally far removed from him.

johnnycool

Quote from: J70 on January 14, 2022, 02:03:31 PM
I know politicians tell lies but has there ever been anyone told as many lies as this boy? Basically it just seems a given that if he says something it's a lie or if he says something is going to happen it won't.

The Economist are arguing that Boris has never hidden his utter cynicism, lack of principles and complete dedication to transactional politics. People just voted for him anyway.

https://www.economist.com/britain/2022/01/15/what-did-you-expect-from-boris-johnson

Trump lies with impunity as well, also with the purpose of bolstering his own, personal position and interests above all else.

Trump scares the f**k out of me. Boris doesn't. But then I'm personally far removed from him.

There's many similarities and the lying is the obvious one.
Both self serving and obvious with it.
Both grifters and lining their own pockets with it
Both tacked towards a nationalist, populist agenda as it cut through with a lot of the electorate ably assisted by years of complicit media feeding this hysteria. MAGA, Get Brexit Done. Slogans cut from the same anti immigrant cloth IMO.
Both fĂșcked up the Covid response as both initially belittled it due to ingrained exceptionalism and both have far too high of death rates per capita even with their "best in class" Health services.
Both have connections to Russian money men.
Both initially laughed off as jokes but still made it and both had money men behind them who're actually pulling the strings.

The US still haven't got over their Trump hangover and the UK will suffer for as long as well as for as much as the party scandal is headlines what the Torys are doing to law, security, immigration and the much beloved Health service being carved out from the inside for US private medical firms assisted by dishy Rishi will be a stain for years to come..

imtommygunn

Quote from: J70 on January 14, 2022, 02:03:31 PM

I think there's a lot more to him than you might think tbh. I don't like the way the met aren't investigating this at all. It kind of feels like he, or someone, has a lot of power and people in power can do what they want. I mean to be honest in the UK I think the politics have got out of hand. You used to laugh at Italy and Berlusconi for example and the corruption was that rife and blatant. It's the same in the UK now.

Franko

I firmly believe Boris' plan was

- "Get Brexit done"
- Spend a couple of years partying and glad handing around the world signing trade deals
- When Brexit began to actually bite, hand the baton over to someone else and retire to some column writing and after-dinner speaking

He was never prepared for actually doing any serious 'work'

Covid fcuked it up for him completely in that he actually had a proper issue to deal with

The only surprise in any of this is that people are surprised

armaghniac

There was a suggestion in the paper that Theresa May was enjoying 2022. Somehow, I cannot see a big party in No. 10 in breach of Covid regulations while she was there, if only because she is in a vulnerable category.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Franko on January 14, 2022, 03:43:36 PM

- "Get Brexit done"
- Spend a couple of years partying and glad handing around the world signing trade deals
- When Brexit began to actually bite, hand the baton over to someone else and retire to some column writing and after-dinner speaking

Covid fcuked it up for him completely in that he actually had a proper issue to deal with

I know we have had spats on this in the past but BJ is only the driver on the bus, I blame Cameron who brought the idea to light!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

RedHand88

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 14, 2022, 04:51:59 PM

- "Get Brexit done"

I know we have had spats on this in the past but BJ is only the driver on the bus, I blame Cameron who brought the idea to light!
The idea has been about for decades, and grew during the late 00s early 10s. Cameron was unfortunate to be PM when it boiled over.

bennydorano

Quote from: RedHand88 on January 14, 2022, 06:10:53 PM

- "Get Brexit done"

The idea has been about for decades, and grew during the late 00s early 10s. Cameron was unfortunate to be PM when it boiled over.
They've never been happy Europeans, there was a Membership Referendum in the 1970s.  The data of the 1975 referendum is interesting. Scotland has become very pro-EU in comparison to the 70s data.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Results_of_the_1975_United_Kingdom_European_Communities_membership_referendum?wprov=sfla1

Hound

I think the funny thing about the Brits in Europe is that they've always seen this Franco-German axis as leading the EU, and they either agree or disagree with whatever proposals come forth. It seems to me they never tried to drive the agenda. Our (Irish) interests often coincide with UK interests and the Scandinavians could also have been in the same corner. The Benelux guys seem to always line up with Germany/France, but most of the rest were moveable. 

There's plenty not right with the EU, but changing it from the inside would have been a far better idea than forcing themselves out of it altogether

lenny

- "Get Brexit done"

The idea might've been about but there was very little support for it until the EU said that they were bringing in laws to stop people hiding away their money in tax havens to avoid paying taxes. Very rich, influential people didn't like that. Brexit was delivered by 1.5 BILLION facebook ads targeted at psychological vulnerable voters. All those ads were full of lies but played on peoples fears and the inherent racism prevalent in England.

grounded

Quote from: lenny on January 15, 2022, 07:02:10 AM

- "Get Brexit done"

The idea might've been about but there was very little support for it until the EU said that they were bringing in laws to stop people hiding away their money in tax havens to avoid paying taxes. Very rich, influential people didn't like that. Brexit was delivered by 1.5 BILLION facebook ads targeted at psychological vulnerable voters. All those ads were full of lies but played on peoples fears and the inherent racism prevalent in England.

Hit the nail on the head. Just have to follow the money trail.

Ronnie

I sense Steve Baker is gunning for Johnson's job.  Interesting.