American Football gloves in GAA

Started by Nanderson, February 25, 2018, 05:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nanderson

Just a thought that came into my head today but would the american football style gloves be any use for catching a gaelic football when you see the types of catches the americans can pull off. The likes of under armour, nike etc don't specify the type of grip used on their gloves, whilst the Irish companies would use standard latex.

stew

Quote from: Nanderson on February 25, 2018, 05:33:54 PM
Just a thought that came into my head today but would the american football style gloves be any use for catching a gaelic football when you see the types of catches the americans can pull off. The likes of under armour, nike etc don't specify the type of grip used on their gloves, whilst the Irish companies would use standard latex.

The American football gloves are thick, they would be useless in gaelic football as there is very little give in them compared to ours, that said that is a great point in terms of technology, no reason why a hybrid glove could not be used, I have no doubt they would help players field balls better if they made them right.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Jinxy

Think they spray stuff on their hands as well.
It's probably called 'Grip-N-Go', or something.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Nanderson

Quote from: Jinxy on February 25, 2018, 06:44:07 PM
Think they spray stuff on their hands as well.
It's probably called 'Grip-N-Go', or something.
I know they have banned a certain substance that used to make their hands very sticky. Im pretty sure there was an Gaelic glove designed maybe 5 years ago or so that came with a dry and a wet version that looked similar to the American gloves as they were a very similar fit with no visible latex grip.

magpie seanie

I tried on a few pairs on American Football gloves when I was in the US the last time and I thought they'd be brilliant. Probably not as hard wearing as the gaelic gloves on the market but that grip!!!! Must get the brother to send over a pair for my final season.

thejuice

I've tried out a few wide receiver gloves in Gaelic. They're a bit unreliable. It's a different kind of leather. The Wilson balls they use in NFL are knobbled in terms of texture whereas an O'Neills is smooth. They have a sticky kind tack texture on them which gets great traction at times but but could pull off a great catch with them one minute the next the ball is slipping off them like a bar of soap. They are absolutely useless in the wet on an O'Neills so I generally wouldn't recommend it. They don't offer any great advantage over Gaelic gloves.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Gmac

Quote from: thejuice on February 25, 2018, 10:04:06 PM
I've tried out a few wide receiver gloves in Gaelic. They're a bit unreliable. It's a different kind of leather. The Wilson balls they use in NFL are knobbled in terms of texture whereas an O'Neills is smooth. They have a sticky kind tack texture on them which gets great traction at times but but could pull off a great catch with them one minute the next the ball is slipping off them like a bar of soap. They are absolutely useless in the wet on an O'Neills so I generally wouldn't recommend it. They don't offer any great advantage over Gaelic gloves.
absoloutely they are cat in the wet and if it's not wet why would anyone be wearing gloves ?

magpie seanie

Didn't realise they were bad in the wet. Surely there are receiver gloves that they use in the wet?

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 25, 2018, 07:15:44 PM
I tried on a few pairs on American Football gloves when I was in the US the last time and I thought they'd be brilliant. Probably not as hard wearing as the gaelic gloves on the market but that grip!!!! Must get the brother to send over a pair for my final season.

I played my final season last year.

Started first league game this year...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

magpie seanie

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on February 27, 2018, 12:57:43 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on February 25, 2018, 07:15:44 PM

I played my final season last year.

Started first league game this year...

Good man yourself. You're too young to be retiring anyway.

thejuice

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 27, 2018, 09:23:40 AM
Didn't realise they were bad in the wet. Surely there are receiver gloves that they use in the wet?

They're grand for an American football which has a textured exterior as I said. A smooth wet O'Neills is a different ball game literally and figuratively.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Denn Forever

Are gloves used in Rugby and if so, would they not be better as the Rugby ball not have a similar texture to the O'Niells?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Denn Forever on February 28, 2018, 12:05:01 PM
Are gloves used in Rugby and if so, would they not be better as the Rugby ball not have a similar texture to the O'Niells?

Rugby balls tend to have grooves in them aiding grip, an O'Neills ball is completely smooth.