Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truth hurts

I watched the game back last night on the iplayer and honestly it was a poor and boring performance.  The reality is that another year in division 3 will help develop us. We are tiny in comparison to other counties. Cavan took on Gearoid McKernan and big Smith. We take on Genie Brannigan, that's the difference. The difference in club v county is huge and I would think that Conor knows that today.

Smurfy123

Have to say I agree
We had 15 players back for all of the first half
If paddy tally had done that he would be slated
Can someone tell me where have we improved?
Liam Kerr was missing for large parts of last year
We are still getting destroyed at midfield. Our defence with 15 back is shipping a lot. Yes we have scored more but we have dropped down a division.

Truth hurts

Quote from: Smurfy123 on March 06, 2023, 10:05:56 AM
Have to say I agree
We are still getting destroyed at midfield. Our defence with 15 back is shipping a lot. Yes we have scored more but we have dropped down a division.

We are too small and light years behind on S and C. Cavan are at least 5 years ahead so we need to be patient.

The first half versus Westmeath and Cavan bored me to death.

Any reports from the u20 and U17 games at the weekend? Tyrone would be one of the better teams so to compete is good.

Nanderson

Quote from: Smurfy123 on March 06, 2023, 10:05:56 AM
Have to say I agree
It cant be good being a forward and having to work back into defense when the ball is lost and then having to sprint forward again when we win it back. It must be knackering. Liam Kerr is our link man atm and at times when hes bursting up the field because hes so fast he has no one ahead of him. Also if we dont bring as many forwards back then teams arent going to risk bringing as many of their defenders forward. If we limit ourselves to only bringing back a full time sweeper plus maybe 1 more forward it still leaves us with 4 up top to hit on the break.

stiff breeze

Maybe we should also go back to telling defenders not to cross the halfway line

Johnnysboys

Is u20 game in championship v Tyrone in a few weeks at home or away??

SHEEDY

Quote from: Johnnysboys on March 06, 2023, 07:50:03 PM
Is u20 game in championship v Tyrone in a few weeks at home or away??
it's away. It's penciled in for a Wednesday night in Omagh, not much consideration for supporters or even players there.
nil satis nisi optimum

redandblackareback

Great men and managers like Peter McGrath, Barney Carr, Gerry Brown, had our proud county revered throughout Ireland and now we are playing defensive rubbish, we scored 2 points from play yesterday. Some of the sideline behaviour has been shameful including the goading of opposition players, officials and free takers and will get worse with the Kilcoo influence growing.
Kilcoo loyalty will never wane and playing Brannigan yesterday should be the final straw, players will start to walk away and who would blame them.

upandwin

Balls being kicked on the pitch as soon as we went in front against Westmeath at the death to waste time, typical Kilcoo garbage. But not a word on here about that, people only get the knives out when we lose at the weekend. We have been lucky to beat Antrim and Westmeath, and anyone saying we were unlucky against Fermanagh would want to go back and watch that game too with their keeper gifted us 1-3 and we still couldn't win. Staying in D3 has been a massive achievement, it's a poor team we have and no progress made since last year. Last season lads didn't commit, headed to states, decimated by injuries and still put up some decent performances against Meath and Galway and Cork. This year we should've lost every game but the Tipp match, and that's with everyone available and the Kilcoo lads committing. We're in a mess atm. It were just lucky Donegal are as well.

Smurfy123

We just don't have the players anymore upandwin. Would agree with a lot that you have said. We somehow now think that we are back. Back where and on the basis of what? Improvemts have been made? Where? Last year was a complete mess. The management team wasn't in place until the first or second week of December and half the County didn't commit. The year before Tally(who I'm not a big fan of) comfortable got us out of division 3. We now have the supposed best players in the county at our disposal and training is off the charts yet we are no further on. The language along the line is a total disgrace and it's aimed at our own players. I never heard the likes on Sunday past. These are adults to be spoken to like that by the manager. 10 kilcoo players on the squad what's that about? Downs home match are now resembling more like a kilcoo match. Can someone tell me what has changed? Gilmore Kerr and Murdock are our 3 best players. And have been for 2 years now. We still haven't unearthed a goalkeeper. O Hare has been doing well but now he is gone

snoopdog

Give the management team a chance. MeGeeney took a while to get Armagh where they are now. Down are a work in progress and will be for a few years. Same with Derry.

Smurfy123

I'll give them every chance. McGeeney went for strong powerful lads.
And he doesn't f and blind along the sideline at his players
I'm talkin about some antics that have no place

Truth hurts

Quote from: Smurfy123 on March 07, 2023, 07:37:54 AM
I'll give them every chance. McGeeney went for strong powerful lads.
And he doesn't f and blind along the sideline at his players
I'm talkin about some antics that have no place

If you are heading to a football match and do not expect cursing then I recommend benediction on a Monday night in Downpatrick Cathedral instead. The anti Kilcoo mafia are circling after a narrow defeat by the south Down aristocracy. Every manager including Pete McGrath has been hounded out by our supporters. People need to look at the bigger picture and down the road instead of a quick fix. Paddy Tally should never of been hounded out but two clowns at a county meeting proposed and seconded it. Would people relax, we have o earn to be in division 2 next year. Lets face reality.

Dreadnought

Quote from: Truth hurts on March 06, 2023, 09:33:52 AM
I watched the game back last night on the iplayer and honestly it was a poor and boring performance.  The reality is that another year in division 3 will help develop us. We are tiny in comparison to other counties. Cavan took on Gearoid McKernan and big Smith. We take on Genie Brannigan, that's the difference. The difference in club v county is huge and I would think that Conor knows that today.

I think you will still get up. Think you were the best of the teams we played so far, if only you get your setup right and not sit back so much. Ye went balls out with 15 back, double or even triple sweeper, and then hurtling forward. No way you can keep that up beyond the first 20 mins. Need to work the squad better, and Laverty needs to see you're not simply Kilcoo 2.0 and that won't work as well at this level anyway. Saying all that, you were still only 2 points behind with 5 minutes of normal time left, you just had nothing left in the legs

Your run in is good. Beat Longford and Offaly (who are no great shakes), and if Westmeath and Cavan beat Fermanagh then you will have Westmeath on head to head. It might be falling over the line a bit, but I fancy your chances more than the others here

Truth hurts

Quote from: Dreadnought on March 07, 2023, 09:31:56 AM
Quote from: Truth hurts on March 06, 2023, 09:33:52 AM

I think you will still get up. Think you were the best of the teams we played so far, if only you get your setup right and not sit back so much. Ye went balls out with 15 back, double or even triple sweeper, and then hurtling forward. No way you can keep that up beyond the first 20 mins. Need to work the squad better, and Laverty needs to see you're not simply Kilcoo 2.0 and that won't work as well at this level anyway. Saying all that, you were still only 2 points behind with 5 minutes of normal time left, you just had nothing left in the legs

Your run in is good. Beat Longford and Offaly (who are no great shakes), and if Westmeath and Cavan beat Fermanagh then you will have Westmeath on head to head. It might be falling over the line a bit, but I fancy your chances more than the others here

Fair assumptions, I would rather have defenders who defend than players bombing up the field and leaving gaps at the back though. Also, Cavan would be in the shake up for Ulster. They have the physique for it.