The Whiskey Thread

Started by gallsman, December 08, 2014, 03:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyroneman

Just resurrecting this one....anyone tried the Teeling whiskey range...?

The single grain is superb.

Jell 0 Biafra

Sipping right now on a very satisfying Scotch blend, Monkey Shoulder.  You'd think it was a single malt, it's that lively on the tongue.  Only $34 a bottle,  can't go wrong.

tyroneman

Monkey Shoulder is pretty tasty alright. Talisker a nice Scottish range also

stew

Quote from: gallsman on December 08, 2014, 03:15:35 PM
Given there's a beer thread, thought I'd try and get the ball rolling on this one after the flurry of whiskey posts a few days ago. Any whiskey drinkers here?

Flying through Duty Free today so picked up the following:

Green Spot - a favourite, that is great value in Duty Free.

Writer's Tears - another favourite.

The Irishman - came highly recommended. Got it for €19!

Town Branch - I bought this as a present on Saturday in the CWS for €60. Coming through duty free today, it comes in a presentation case with two glasses for €45  :-[ . Phoned the CWS and they said they'll happily let me exchange. Hopefully they'll have some Yamazaki in by the time I get back!

Curiously, and I was a bit upset at this, Powers John's Lane was one price for all destinations. Any idea why this might be?!

If you get upset at the price of drink you have a problem son!

If you buy that much whiskey you might have a problem son!

Son, you have a problem, I highly suggest sober for October, lets see if you can last two days, my money is on no!!!!!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Puckoon

Had a few interesting ones over the last 3 months.

1. Redbreast 12 year old from somewhere in the 70s. My mother had 2 bottles of this stashed away and we opened one when I was home earlier this month. Only after did I realise its a 400 euro whiskey - but it was an experience to drink it. Pretty rough compared to todays 12 year old Redbreast. I wouldn't pay 400 yoyos for it.
http://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/redbreast-12-year-old-1970s

2. Jameson "Signature" snagged in the duty free in Dublin. Not sure if there's much behind a lot of these new releases other than marketing, but this wasn't my favourite.

3. Crested Ten! I'd served this for years to a well known Grocer around Omagh and never ever tried it until this evening. Mighty stuff. Smooth and mellow. Hard to get over here I guess - and is now just marketed as Jameson Crested - but this is great drinking whiskey.

Puckoon

Quote from: tyroneman on September 28, 2016, 07:16:53 PM
Monkey Shoulder is pretty tasty alright. Talisker a nice Scottish range also

Monkey Shoulder is pretty good for the price!

omaghjoe

Quote from: Puckoon on February 24, 2017, 03:37:40 AM
Had a few interesting ones over the last 3 months.

1. Redbreast 12 year old from somewhere in the 70s. My mother had 2 bottles of this stashed away and we opened one when I was home earlier this month. Only after did I realise its a 400 euro whiskey - but it was an experience to drink it. Pretty rough compared to todays 12 year old Redbreast. I wouldn't pay 400 yoyos for it.
http://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/redbreast-12-year-old-1970s

2. Jameson "Signature" snagged in the duty free in Dublin. Not sure if there's much behind a lot of these new releases other than marketing, but this wasn't my favourite.

3. Crested Ten! I'd served this for years to a well known Grocer around Omagh and never ever tried it until this evening. Mighty stuff. Smooth and mellow. Hard to get over here I guess - and is now just marketed as Jameson Crested - but this is great drinking whiskey.

Musta been John Rafferty in Sallys was it?

Puckoon

John isn't a grocer, at least I wouldn't have said so.

Never worked in Sallys myself, spent most of my time working for the other big corporation

omaghjoe

Quote from: Puckoon on February 24, 2017, 02:44:25 PM
John isn't a grocer, at least I wouldn't have said so.

Never worked in Sallys myself, spent most of my time working for the other big corporation

Well..... he used to sell food....

trileacman

Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 05, 2015, 07:16:07 PM
Being traitorous and bought Aberlour 10 y.o. on recommendation of a fella in work who said it was 20 quid in Sainsbury's. Have yet to tackle it. He said a couple of drops of room temperature water will "open it up". Not sure what any of this means  ???

I drink whisky with a fair bit of ice, you get a fair whack of the strength of Whiskey at the start and as the ice melts it softens it up rightly.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

manfromdelmonte

Had a tour of the distillery in Kilbeggan on Friday
nice place, three whiskeys to taste afterwards including a single malt that was nice

didn't know they were owned by the Cooley distillery crowd.
will be buying again

gallsman

Green Spot going for £28 on Amazon UK. Writer's Tears for £25 from M&S.

macdanger2

Quote from: gallsman on December 06, 2017, 11:48:28 AM

Can't see that on there anymore, must be gone. Great value at that price

gallsman

Quote from: macdanger2 on December 07, 2017, 11:03:18 PM
Quote from: gallsman on December 06, 2017, 11:48:28 AM

Can't see that on there anymore, must be gone. Great value at that price

It was a daily deal.

Tony Baloney

That time of the year again!