Great GAA Comebacks

Started by APM, May 06, 2020, 04:21:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shark

Quote from: dublin7 on May 08, 2020, 12:07:33 PM
1998 All Ireland Club Championship semi-final Castlehaven (Cork) v Erins Isle (Dublin) in Thurles.

Castlehaven had completely outplayed Erins Isle and were 5 points in front with 1 min left of normal time. Isles were down to 14 men and Castlehaven fans were waiting on the sidelines to run in and celebrate.... Isles scored 2 goals in injury time and won by 1 point.

I can still remember it today as one of the great days out. The bitterness of the Castlehaven fans day was something I haven't forgotten either

Charlie was the man sent off, right? Suspended for the final then. Corofin the big winners from that comeback!

seafoid

Kilkenny in the 2012 hurling final first day out. They were supreme at reeling in pretenders thanks to their superior work rate
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

dublin7

Quote from: shark on May 08, 2020, 02:11:27 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on May 08, 2020, 12:07:33 PM
1998 All Ireland Club Championship semi-final Castlehaven (Cork) v Erins Isle (Dublin) in Thurles.

Castlehaven had completely outplayed Erins Isle and were 5 points in front with 1 min left of normal time. Isles were down to 14 men and Castlehaven fans were waiting on the sidelines to run in and celebrate.... Isles scored 2 goals in injury time and won by 1 point.

I can still remember it today as one of the great days out. The bitterness of the Castlehaven fans day was something I haven't forgotten either

Charlie was the man sent off, right? Suspended for the final then. Corofin the big winners from that comeback!

That was him alright. Joke of a decision by the ref. Turned out to be his last ever game. Retired after the final having retired from the dubs the previous year.

BennyCake

Quote from: APM on May 06, 2020, 11:01:48 PM
Quote from: naka on May 06, 2020, 08:59:57 PM
Quote from: dec on May 06, 2020, 08:10:54 PM
An almost great comeback, Armagh v Galway 2001

Galway led 0-12 to 0-5, Armagh scored 7 points in a row, but then a Michael Donnellan interception set up a Galway win.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/the-point-that-left-armaghs-year-marooned-26066107.html
Always have a smile at that game,
Was just married.
My father in law  A big down man had just lost his leg  From diabetes and I was driving him to Westport for the family holiday. Game was live on rye and he deliberately wouldn't stop as he wanted to get to Westport.
We arrived just as Armagh were coming back and he couldn't remember the house number
As soon as Galway went ahead he remembered it.
Poor man died shortly after it but he enjoyed seeing me get thicker And thicker as I couldn't get watching the game.

Enjoyed that!

Another one which comes to mind, unfortunately, is the Tyrone comeback against Armagh in 1989 in Omagh.  As far as I remember, Armagh were 8 pts up at half time and Tyrone came back to win by 1.  That second half was hard work.

Yep, 2-6 to 0-4 at HT. I remember it well.

Mark Grimley was catching everything at midfield that day. Next thing, he caught one, stumbled, and fisted it back to a defender, but the ball went over his head to a Tyrone man. They went straight up the pitch and got a goal, and the game turned.

imtommygunn

Was that the match with the tunnel incident between lynch and grimley(s)?

BennyCake

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 08, 2020, 06:44:03 PM

Yeah, that's the one.

omaghjoe

Quote from: BennyCake on May 08, 2020, 06:54:56 PM

Yeah, that's the one.

Im a bit vague on that.... didnt one of them blind side Lynch and he came back out with a massive shinner?

imtommygunn

I was at that. I don't know what happened but I think lynch came out with a bandage on and there was blood iirc.

BennyCake

I thought Lynch was subbed at half time, and didn't feature in second half?

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 08, 2020, 07:00:10 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on May 08, 2020, 06:54:56 PM

Yeah, that's the one.

Im a bit vague on that.... didnt one of them blind side Lynch and he came back out with a massive shinner?
Was Eugene McKenna not the man who gave him the shiner ?

Bord na Mona man

A slightly different comeback. In the 2010 Leinster minor football championship Offaly beat Longford by 22 points in the first round. Longford regrouped and eventually won their into the Leinster final via the back door. Pitted against Offaly again, Longford won the final by 6 points.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: sid waddell on May 07, 2020, 12:53:44 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 06, 2020, 06:45:09 PM
There's the obvious one, Offaly's five-minute final of 1994:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bceb42XNhOM

I couldn't believe what I was seeing.
I was on the Hill for that and two Offaly buckos of about 35-40 years of age standing beside me left with about 15 minutes to go, they were more interested in getting their feed of pints into them. Reminds me of a bit in the book Kings of September where the future Offaly footballer Sean Grennan was at the 1982 football final with his mother and the mother decided to leave with ten minutes left. They drove to a relative's house in Balbriggan and only found out Offaly had won when they got there. I can never understand why people leave an All-Ireland final, or indeed any match, if the outcome is in any way in doubt.
Yes, some buckos drove all the way back to Offaly thinking that Limerick had won it only to find out the result.

There are tales of Limerick folk making similar premature evacuations from Croke Park. One was puzzled why the Limerick captain would swap jersies before accepting the cup when he caught a glimpse of the presentation walking by a pub window.

sid waddell

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on May 10, 2020, 10:54:45 PM

I was on the Hill for that and two Offaly buckos of about 35-40 years of age standing beside me left with about 15 minutes to go, they were more interested in getting their feed of pints into them. Reminds me of a bit in the book Kings of September where the future Offaly footballer Sean Grennan was at the 1982 football final with his mother and the mother decided to leave with ten minutes left. They drove to a relative's house in Balbriggan and only found out Offaly had won when they got there. I can never understand why people leave an All-Ireland final, or indeed any match, if the outcome is in any way in doubt.
Yes, some buckos drove all the way back to Offaly thinking that Limerick had won it only to find out the result.
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/219/613/2fadbe25-eaaa-42b7-8bf6-a8ec8684655a.gif

There are tales of Limerick folk making similar premature evacuations from Croke Park. One was puzzled why the Limerick captain would swap jersies before accepting the cup when he caught a glimpse of the presentation walking by a pub window.
You'd feel like an awful tit though if you left a final early and then your team came back to win. Wasn't there a few Liverpool supporters who left at half-time in Istanbul in 2005?

Jell 0 Biafra

Worse was the video of the City fan interviewed after the Spurs CL QF, who had left before the Sterling 'goal' was disallowed by VAR, and was under the impression that they'd won.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: sid waddell on May 10, 2020, 11:00:48 PM
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on May 10, 2020, 10:54:45 PM

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/219/613/2fadbe25-eaaa-42b7-8bf6-a8ec8684655a.gif

You'd feel like an awful tit though if you left a final early and then your team came back to win. Wasn't there a few Liverpool supporters who left at half-time in Istanbul in 2005?

A mate of mine left the ethiad when City were 2-1 against QPR in 2012, just out the gate when it went 2-2 and the stewards wouldn't let him back in.