Internet petition by Father

Started by Zulu, February 23, 2009, 07:06:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

antigpa

To me it sounds like these guys at some stage were tapped up, and that has caused bitterness, however regardless of right and wrong, I wonder if the rich club discouraged the fellows would they go back to the poor club.  I think the dad should ask the questions to the comiittee meeting rather than launch this silly campaign, and if he has a reasonable case, theres prominent county board and very decent men in Aghaloo who will grant the wish.  Otherwise theres more to this than meets the eye.  

pintsofguinness

Quote from: David McKeown on February 24, 2009, 01:13:45 AM
Pints in answer to your question from earlier, I dont see it being much of a problem for a couple of reasons.  Firstly I think plenty of players will be of the opinion that you play for your home club and therefore dont want to play anywhere else assuming the can get a game with their home club.  Secondly if the more successful clubs start attracting better players then arguably the more mediocre players may leave those clubs in order to get football and will join the smaller clubs, consequently you may have more balanced teams with fewer superstar players whose play is well above the level of those around them.  Im very much of the opinion that tying a player to a specific club is against the voluntary element of the GAA in the same way that many think that not playing for your own home club is against the fabric of the GAA.

Just on that and without wanting to stir but do those who feel that players transfering away from their home are not true gaels, not therefore feel that they should be entitled to the transfer as they are not true gaels and shouldnt be wanted by their home club? If you understand what I mean as thats probably poorly worded
So bigger clubs get bigger and smaller clubs get smaller and this would be good for club football?

I think there can be genuine reasons for  people looking to transfer and that's fair enough but I do not agree with people picking and choosing clubs. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Zulu

The bottom line here for me lads is there  should be a time limit on how long a club can object to a transfer, as with any debate we can all come up with scenarios where it would be hard to disagree with the poster, e.g a player clearly leaving to win titles or a club refusing a transfer out of pure spite. But football is a game and if you really don't want to play for one club then you should be able to leave, like I think if you haven't played for two years with a club you should be allowed to go. Limiting clubs to lets say 4 players at any grade from outside their parish would help prevent super clubs emerging, one thing is for certain IMO a sports orgainisation who's rules are making it impossible for 2 young lads to play football for the club of their choice for 5 years is an organisation that has lost sight of it's purpose IMO.

StGallsGAA

You cannot blame Aghaloo GFC for trying the safeguard the future of these 2 young lads.  Lets face it, Dungannon is a sh*thole.  Would you want to see your kids brought up there?