Is Kerry Football over-rated?

Started by From the Bunker, July 03, 2007, 09:47:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pietas

Quote from: 5iveTimes on July 05, 2007, 12:22:48 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 05, 2007, 12:00:37 AM
And Senior will always be the BENCHMARK!

Kerry are THE benchmark, the team that beats them usually win the All-Ireland.
How anyone can say they are over-rated is beyond me.

They're not over-rated; but they have radically changed their approach to the game and are not being pulled  up by the media.

The great irony is that when Ulster teams adopted the approach Kerry are now using, Pat Spillane was possibly the biggest critic.

Kerry are a cynical, dirty team.  If you look outside the top tier of all-ireland contenders, to the  Dublin, Mayos, etc, their biggest flaw is that, for one reason or another, they don't use the same approach as Kerry, Tyrone and Armagh.

The way Galway bullied their way to a Connacht Final this year suggests they have joined the 'puke football' brigade also.

Gaelic football is in real bother, its demise can be traced all the way to the 1996 All-Ireland semi-final when Meath butchered Tyrone.

Tyrone said never again, and now we have to watch thuggery every Sunday.

In Roman mythology, Pietas was the goddess of duty to one's state, gods and family.

Hardy

Jesus, I'm beginning to think you're serious. (Not addressing you by name, by the way, in case you're confused - you seem to imagine yourself as delivering sermons from the mount, there).

I don't think even Kevin McStay himself rivals your line in sanctimony. Wait a minute. I forgot Martin Carney. Is there a trend here? Ah no - couldn't be, surely. It's 11 years, for God's sake.

magpie seanie

QuoteThe way Galway bullied their way to a Connacht Final this year

Aye, they really bullied Leitrim in Carrick!

You couldn't make up some of the crap that gets posted here.

Billys Boots

QuoteYou couldn't make up some of the crap that gets posted here.

He just did, Seanie.  ::)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

magpie seanie

Uladh

If you're gonna seriusly post on this thread you deserve whatever nonsense that may be thrown up!

Mike Sheehy

QuoteThey're not over-rated; but they have radically changed their approach to the game and are not being pulled  up by the media

You Nordie lads seem to have a blind spot for your own media. The anti-Kerry campaign has been alive and well in the Northern media for quite some time now.

Leo

Anti Kerry?
Pat Spillane & Miceal in charge of the airways. Danny Lynch pulling the strings at Croke Park. Where does the poor Ulster man get a word in? Oh aye, I forgot, Joe Brolly - that evens ALL scores!
Fierce tame altogether

Pietas

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on July 05, 2007, 11:36:30 PM
QuoteThey're not over-rated; but they have radically changed their approach to the game and are not being pulled  up by the media

You Nordie lads seem to have a blind spot for your own media. The anti-Kerry campaign has been alive and well in the Northern media for quite some time now.

I am not a 'Nordie.'
In Roman mythology, Pietas was the goddess of duty to one's state, gods and family.

SuperDooperCooper

Quote from: Pietas on July 05, 2007, 11:06:58 AM
Quote from: 5iveTimes on July 05, 2007, 12:22:48 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 05, 2007, 12:00:37 AM
And Senior will always be the BENCHMARK!
Kerry are THE benchmark, the team that beats them usually win the All-Ireland.
How anyone can say they are over-rated is beyond me.
They're not over-rated; but they have radically changed their approach to the game and are not being pulled  up by the media.
How exactly do you mean we are not being pulled up by the media.
Galvin got crucified after the Armagh and Cork games last year after he got hit by an Armagh sub who was doing a good impression of the waterboy from the movie.
That nob Brolly even questioned if he was fit to be a teacher....Dara O'Se was vilified after the Cork game last year, Kieran Shannon is constantly writing about cynical Kerry since 2003 and I don't have to mention Mr Morgan. Far from not being pulled up by the media we are over scrutinised as is evidanced by all these threads. I say again what would the reaction have been if Galvin had kicked O'Leary?
My favourite Kerry coverage from last year was the Sunday Indo with a headline of 'The Empire Strikes Back' with a pictute of Star shooting to the net with Francie on the ground and Hearty doing a bird impression. Then I open the Tribune and there was Shannon spouting the same cynical line again. Free ride my arse.

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on July 05, 2007, 11:36:30 PM

At least it recognises you, they keep writing us off, and we 99% of the time prove them wrong, O actually RTE (Leinster Bias TV) does that too, & TG4 (Galway Bias TV) as well. Not being Paranoid or anything  :-\

stew

lookit, kerry do what they have to do to win AI titles, if you look at what the have accomplished from the seventies on you can see where they have taken what others throw at them and improve upon it.

In the seventies Dublin had some of the hardest teams ever to play football and Kerry met them head on and beat them at their own game, they simply adapted to what dublin were at and used it against them.

In the late seventies and into the  eighties they were playing a bastardised form of basketball with the handpass and they perfected that and made excellent teams look positively inept and they destroyed teams on the back of the handpass such was the speed of release which confused the opposition and gave them great opportunities to score as they had more time to settle before shooting for goals or points.

In the nineties kerry won one AI, I think it was 97 and even then it Armagh, what did they do, they realized they were not fit enough and also they understood that they would have to adapt by empolying similar tactics to overcome the northerners, they have  won 3 of the All Irelands since 2000 and they are on the prowl again the year.

To do what they have done is astonishing and I admire them greatly, that said the greatest moment of my life was Armagh in 02, the second half showed the world that Kerry could be cowed, the most amazing thing about AI day in 02 was for me who we beat to win the AI, the teams we beat that year were excellent, none more so that the Kerrymen.

What a county.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

lynchbhoy

feck the media
they spout any oul shite against any county they can to sell newspapers

Kerry are not only AI champions (and deservedly so) -
but are the team to beat this year also
Galway,tyrone, cork,mayo, and Armagh maybe even Dublin if they start picking their best team - are serious contenders