Rule Change Needed to Stop Puke Keep-Ball

Started by cjx, July 15, 2018, 11:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrdeeds

Quote from: Ball Hopper on July 19, 2018, 05:42:12 PM
Quote from: hardstation on July 19, 2018, 05:08:29 PM
Quote from: Ball Hopper on July 19, 2018, 05:00:04 PM
Free kicks and sideline kicks cannot go backwards.
No issue with that. Just don't think it would have much of an impact on the game.

Yeah, a small start.  Makes everyone look forward at least.

So put on the blanket if a free or sideline because you won't have a need to push up on other players.

Ball Hopper

Quote from: Ball Hopper on July 19, 2018, 06:23:50 PM
Quote from: didlyi on July 19, 2018, 06:17:42 PM

A free kick is supposed to be an advantage to the team taking it. If you can backpass during normal play then surely it would not be fair to punish a freetaker for playing it backwards. If your going to stop backpasses then start doing it in normal play.

Except a free taker cannot be pressured and has time to pick out a team mate to send the ball towards.  That team mate should catch the ball forward from the kicker is hardly presenting a difficulty.

Your logic says the kick out rule of the ball going outside the 20m line before being played by the kicking team should be rescinded...hardly an improvement.
Quote from: mrdeeds on July 19, 2018, 10:39:49 PM
No issue with that. Just don't think it would have much of an impact on the game.

So put on the blanket if a free or sideline because you won't have a need to push up on other players.

You missed the part in bold.  A freetaker should be able to pick out his runners just like the goalie's kick out has to go forward. 

JoG2

Mercenary managers must pay tax on the contents of the brown envelope if their teams play anti-football.

Ball Hopper

The 4 points for a goal idea died as well...that would really add to the blanket. 

It will all turn into seven a side, with unlimited substitution.  Six forwards and one other are replaced after every score by your six backs and a keeper.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: hardstation on July 19, 2018, 10:46:22 PM
Quote from: mrdeeds on July 19, 2018, 10:39:49 PM

You're suggesting this doesn't happen already. I can't remember anyone having difficulty playing a free or sideline to someone behind him.

As I say though, this will not help the game one bit and is change for change sake.

It would be worth a trial to see how it works. Too often players are taking the easy and safe option of backward frees and it adds nothing to the game.

ONeill

There is such a scrutiny on entertainment now. Football was never attractive bar the odd clinker of a game. Only the top 2/3 sides, when they clashed, produced top quality skilful entertainment. The 80s were shit. The 90s produced some wars of attrition in Ulster but no AI final like the last few now. The 00s again when the top 2/3 met. Same as now.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

trailer

Quote from: ONeill on July 20, 2018, 12:28:49 AM
There is such a scrutiny on entertainment now. Football was never attractive bar the odd clinker of a game. Only the top 2/3 sides, when they clashed, produced top quality skilful entertainment. The 80s were shit. The 90s produced some wars of attrition in Ulster but no AI final like the last few now. The 00s again when the top 2/3 met. Same as now.

Correct. People don't know they are born. Football has been better than it ever has been. Some people can't think for themselves and listen to Brolly et al.

I thought when I went a bit berserk on the shot clock idea people might have put some thought into new rules, but alas no. Still some crazy stupid ideas floating about on this thread.

thewobbler

Quote from: trailer on July 20, 2018, 11:28:19 AM

Correct. People don't know they are born. Football has been better than it ever has been. Some people can't think for themselves and listen to Brolly et al.

I thought when I went a bit berserk on the shot clock idea people might have put some thought into new rules, but alas no. Still some crazy stupid ideas floating about on this thread.

Brilliant, just brilliant.

People who are bored out of their minds watching football, are only that way because they've no minds of their own.

What a condescending shit you are.

——-

Footballers technically might be on a different level now than in any time in history. That's called evolution.

Football as a sport needs to evolve in tandem.

——-

The backpass in soccer was outlawed 20 years ago. You still get shite soccer matches, and you always will. But spectators are no longer forced to watch a quarter of the match where every attack culminated in Hansen passing it back to Grobelaar, who then killed the clock. Rinse, repeat, rinse, repeat. It was not a magic pill, but it does make for a better spectacle.

sid waddell

Why not make Gaelic football like horse racing and introduce a weight handicap system?

Each player on the better teams would be forced to carry a specially weighted vest to slow them down.

Division 4 teams would carry no weight.

Division 3 teams would carry a weight of 1kg.

Division 2 teams would carry a weight of 2 kg.

Dicision 1 teams would carry 4kg.

Then, to really even things out, Dublin players would each have to carry 10kg.

It works in horse racing, so why not in Gaelic football?!

seafoid

Gaelic football has several converging crises :

-The tackle
-The rules post switch to possession game
-Attendances
-Linked to the spectacle and over exposure
-Too many half full matches in Croke Park which is not being used coherently
-Physical demands on players esp those who get through 4 qf rounds and not last 8
-Huge competitive gaps and not enough decent matches

I think an external review is necessary
None of the teachers there at the moment have the vision thing
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: sid waddell on July 20, 2018, 11:52:55 AM
Why not make Gaelic football like horse racing and introduce a weight handicap system?

Each player on the better teams would be forced to carry a specially weighted vest to slow them down.

Some sense at last!

joemamas

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on July 20, 2018, 12:09:46 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on July 20, 2018, 11:52:55 AM

Some sense at last!

What about all the boys who go on the piss in the winter months and put on the annual 10lbs.

mrdeeds

Quote from: seafoid on July 20, 2018, 12:09:18 PM

-The tackle
-Attendances
-Physical demands on players esp those who get through 4 qf rounds and not last 8

I agree but it needs recently retired players and maybe even current players to look at it. I don't want to see older players who want the game to be played like when they played.

seafoid

Quote from: mrdeeds on July 20, 2018, 04:26:31 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 20, 2018, 12:09:18 PM

-The tackle
-Attendances

I agree but it needs recently retired players and maybe even current players to look at it. I don't want to see older players who want the game to be played like when they played.
I think a wide range of inputs and a mandate for radical change are required.  Tweaks are not going to work
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

tonto1888

Quote from: thewobbler on July 20, 2018, 11:38:43 AM
Quote from: trailer on July 20, 2018, 11:28:19 AM

Brilliant, just brilliant.

People who are bored out of their minds watching football, are only that way because they've no minds of their own.

What a condescending shit you are.

——-

Footballers technically might be on a different level now than in any time in history. That's called evolution.

Football as a sport needs to evolve in tandem.

——-

The backpass in soccer was outlawed 20 years ago. You still get shite soccer matches, and you always will. But spectators are no longer forced to watch a quarter of the match where every attack culminated in Hansen passing it back to Grobelaar, who then killed the clock. Rinse, repeat, rinse, repeat. It was not a magic pill, but it does make for a better spectacle.

The back pass wasn't outlawed just tweaked.