Cambridge Analytica & Facebook

Started by screenexile, March 19, 2018, 11:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weareros

Quote from: whitey on March 21, 2018, 02:22:44 PM
Quote from: Smokin Joe on March 21, 2018, 02:18:18 PM
It's pretty obvious that the goal of advertising in elections is to win the undecided voters.  And if you can't see how continual advertising / "news" (which appears not to come directly from the political parties) could influence the undecided then I'm lost for words.

oh I can see it alright, I just don't have a problem with it given all the dirty tricks the Democrats pull

How is it any different from Hillarys campaign editing The NY Times editorial to turn it from a pro Bernie blurb, to an anti Bernie hit piece?

Couple of big difference. One is the theft of 50 million people's data, and using that to tailor advertising  messages as if they were news. You still get to choose if you want to read a NYT story. Secondly, NYT does investigative journalism and actually broke the Hilary Clinton private email server story, the one issue that perhaps cost her the election. NYT also broke both the Bill O'Reilly and Harvey Weinstein sexual abuse stories. They go after the left and the right. They have journalists out covering the ethnic cleansing of the Rohingya and are in nearly every corner of the world providing a genuine service, despite how Trump likes to label it fake news. He know full well that NYT is one of the few publications left that has the investigative power to bring him down, and it will. And of course it was NYT working with Observer that broke this story too.

whitey

There should be absolutely no expectation of privacy for anything you post on Facebook, so saying their "data" was stolen is complete and utter nonsense.

Obama pulled the data of people who were friends of people who logged into his election app.....did he steal their data?

heganboy

Quote from: whitey on March 21, 2018, 05:50:36 PM
There should be absolutely no expectation of privacy for anything you post on Facebook, so saying their "data" was stolen is complete and utter nonsense.

Obama pulled the data of people who were friends of people who logged into his election app.....did he steal their data?

Whitey,
do you really see the things that you cite as examples as being the same?

like really?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

whitey

Quote from: heganboy on March 21, 2018, 06:06:57 PM

Whitey,

like really?

If Obamas media directors own words are accurate, does it not greatly concern you that Facebook was willing to have a separate set of rules for a candidate they wanted to win?

Therealdonald

Quote from: whitey on March 21, 2018, 06:39:38 PM
Quote from: heganboy on March 21, 2018, 06:06:57 PM

Whitey,

like really?

If Obamas media directors own words are accurate, does it not greatly concern you that Facebook was willing to have a separate set of rules for a candidate they wanted to win?

Whitey do you want to swap usernames? I think mine is more appropriate for you

macdanger2

Quote from: shark on March 20, 2018, 12:06:51 PM

You're missing the point here completely. Which isn't surprising.  This is much bigger than one election in the US. I (and many others from what I can see) care about the privacy of data. CA and FB have overstepped. That much is clear. US politics is a drop in the ocean. I accept that those living in the US may feel differently about that as they have to live there. Thankfully most of us don't.

A lot of posts on here but most are just repeats of what's on the US politics thread and completely miss the importance of this story except for shark's post imo. The big picture here and the opportunity for this to be replicated a hundred fold is frightening. Trump has won his election and no amount of hand wringing will change that. It's the elections of the future and how this sort of thing can be combated that we should be talking about. There's no simple solution to it though

johnnycool

Quote from: macdanger2 on March 22, 2018, 12:05:19 AM

You're missing the point here completely. Which isn't surprising.  This is much bigger than one election in the US. I (and many others from what I can see) care about the privacy of data. CA and FB have overstepped. That much is clear. US politics is a drop in the ocean. I accept that those living in the US may feel differently about that as they have to live there. Thankfully most of us don't.

A lot of posts on here but most are just repeats of what's on the US politics thread and completely miss the importance of this story except for shark's post imo. The big picture here and the opportunity for this to be replicated a hundred fold is frightening. Trump has won his election and no amount of hand wringing will change that. It's the elections of the future and how this sort of thing can be combated that we should be talking about. There's no simple solution to it though

Lets not kid ourselves either. Foreign Governments and big businesses, Media moguls have been influencing elections in various countries for decades so what Cambridge Analytica was doing was just an upscaled, modern, privatised version of what has been the norm form as long as pussy was a cat.

One day it's Murdock and his red tops, the next day it's some private "individual" using CA and a social media stream to carry its message.

seafoid

Quote from: macdanger2 on March 22, 2018, 12:05:19 AM

FB and Google will eventually be broken up. They are ultimately tools of the plutocrats.
The Trump campaign was the same. Lie to people so they can be dispossessed post election.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Milltown Row2

If people are dumb enough to believe what pops up on their facebook account or other social media outlets before deciding on whats best for them and their country by not investigating it further, then serves them right for getting Trump, Trump has used it for himself and it works, What CA has done is wrong and hopefully they will take a huge hit on it..

People bought Brexit on the bases of all the lies sold to them through the media, without doing the proper research (though I blame the pro Europe ones of actually doing nothing to show the extent of what will happen), I'm of the opinion then let them suffer the aftermath of it when it happens, it will pull down the government and hopefully at some point they will see sense..

This is a new way for people to get the news (well about 10 years plus) and it will only get bigger, there has to be better regulations to prevent it getting out of hand, but in most cases over the years this was done in the newspaper industry and will continue
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

passedit

Don't Panic

HiMucker

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 22, 2018, 10:57:27 AM
If people are dumb enough to believe what pops up on their facebook account or other social media outlets before deciding on whats best for them and their country by not investigating it further, then serves them right for getting Trump, Trump has used it for himself and it works, What CA has done is wrong and hopefully they will take a huge hit on it..

People bought Brexit on the bases of all the lies sold to them through the media, without doing the proper research (though I blame the pro Europe ones of actually doing nothing to show the extent of what will happen), I'm of the opinion then let them suffer the aftermath of it when it happens, it will pull down the government and hopefully at some point they will see sense..

This is a new way for people to get the news (well about 10 years plus) and it will only get bigger, there has to be better regulations to prevent it getting out of hand, but in most cases over the years this was done in the newspaper industry and will continue
People were fed up with facts and figures and opinions from experts.  Many of the people that voted for Brexit were never going to be persuaded by the truth, the lie was more appealing. I don't know what more the Remain Campaign could have done without engaging in pure fantasy.  Quite simply Brexit was too complex an issue to be left to a referendum. 

whitey

Quote from: HiMucker on March 23, 2018, 04:06:44 PM

People were fed up with facts and figures and opinions from experts.  Many of the people that voted for Brexit were never going to be persuaded by the truth, the lie was more appealing. I don't know what more the Remain Campaign could have done without engaging in pure fantasy.  Quite simply Brexit was too complex an issue to be left to a referendum.

What are you talking about

The Brexit crowd were very well informed

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2I3eAyJkoHg

Milltown Row2

Quote from: whitey on March 24, 2018, 12:31:11 AM
Quote from: HiMucker on March 23, 2018, 04:06:44 PM

What are you talking about

The Brexit crowd were very well informed

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2I3eAyJkoHg

That's hilarious though, a Mayo man complaining about foreigners stealing jobs! In fairness he was pissed! It's like Americans thinking the Mexicans are paying for the wall! Delusional in the extreme

But on a serious note...Clearly not as polls show it wouldn't be voted on,  for the f**k up that it is!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea