Colm "Woolly" Parkinson

Started by IolarCoisCuain, July 07, 2017, 09:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think of Colm "Woolly" Parkinson?

Flute
15 (34.1%)
Breath of fresh air
20 (45.5%)
Who's Colm Parkinson?
9 (20.5%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Voting closed: July 09, 2017, 09:01:42 PM

DJGaliv

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on July 09, 2017, 06:20:44 PM
Quote from: DJGaliv on July 09, 2017, 10:11:47 AM
Quote from: screenexile on July 09, 2017, 01:40:40 AM
Wooly's an eejit! An average player at the time he gets access because he's a bit of a character and used to play for Laois.

Brolly wiped the floor with him the other evening and Wooly is not immune to grandstanding himself when he feels like it. Comparing himself to Diarmuid Connolly was one of the funniest things I've heard in a while!

He compared himself to Connolly as in they're both a bit hot headed and can be eejits at times. Absolutely no comparison football talent related.

I like Wooly, think he brings a nice bit of fresh analysis from the footballers perspective. You'd think with all the newly retired footballers in the media that lifting the lid on what it's like in a county panel wouldn't be unique but it really is.

I do think he got it wrong with the doping story and was arguing over a total different thing and very protectionist rather than accepting no sport is immune.

But he really is good for gaa. Too many Canice Pilkingtons pretending to give us insight out there. Wooly isn't everyone's cup of tea but that's what makes him unafraid to offend. And unlike brolly he doesn't offend people for othe spectacle of it he actually would believe it. Also when he gets things wrong he readily admits he may have lost the run of himself.

They're some interesting points DJ. One of the things that really gets on my wick about Brolly is that a man of his intellect and ability should be above the sort of trolling he does. Instead, it seems to be his guiding star, and there's something tragic about that. That said, saying someone is good because they admit being wrong and losing the run of themselves makes me wonder what a show would be like presented by someone more insightful, and less inclined to lose the run of him- or herself?

You're right on Brolly, but that's the nature of being a barrister. You become the master of creating arguments for both sides of a story. There's nothing worse than listening to a guy argue cogently on something he himself doesn't even agree with. An intelligent man, but I wouldn't waste my time listening to him.

Re: Wooly, if lads listened to the podcast rather than hearing second hand Parkinson did not compare himself talent wise to Connolly. He just said Connolly like me can be guilty of being an amadán at times.
The other lads in studio would have ripped into him if he tried to compare the talent.
Maybe the Dubs aren't fond of him ever since he did that interview saying Dublin were overrated bar Alan Brogan.

MoChara

I enjoy the podcasts, I wish they'd update there jingles though there's only so many times I want to hear Davy fitz sing Chill the beans

rosnarun

a very interesting pod cast but he needs a fil to call him on His bullshit when he goes  on a rant .
excellent depth of knowlege of teams not just top 2 or 3 player
I love scond captain as well aprt from Ken early's 10 min questions that lead no where and their habit at time to turn most GAA slots into a comedy routine.
Murph know his stuff and would love if they gave hime one GAA podcast a week
OTB is now pure dribble and the last thing the country need is another avenue to listen to Joe 'I gave up a kidney' Brollys brand of self promotion
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Dinny Breen

I still like Off the Ball, miss their live GAA coverage and it was in that environment that Parkinson excelled.

I am off to his Webcast on Thursday, some good guests Willie McCreery, Glenn Ryan, Pillar Caffrey, Johnny Magee and Eamonn Fennell. Looking forward to it.
#newbridgeornowhere

Captain Scarlet

There should be an option to say that he is a flute and a breath of fresh air. the thing is with him he doesn´t get bogged down in his own pre-prepared stuff and if a pundit gives him a solid counter argument then he admits he is talking crap.
Also the style of the show leaves the lads who come on knowing that the cliches are left at the door. Overall I enjoy the show and Cian Ward is as good a lad there is in terms of making good points that are often not given airtime.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Jinxy

I like Parkinson.
Doesn't take himself too seriously and knows his football.
Was great as a sideline reporter on OTB and always asked interesting questions.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

LilySavage

His Webcast on Wednesday is also very good. Bounces well off likes of Ronan O Gara, Andy Reid and others from non Gaa backgrounds. Not sure why he left Off The Ball as he was becoming the main man there. But he has done well with the online stuff since. Off the Ball becoming increasingly middle of the road since he left.

Beffs

His podcast is excellent. There is a refreshing lack of bullshit and cliches. Was v surprised at his hardline stance at the recent doping controversy. It is that very thing (that the powers that be, wish remained brushed under the carpet) that he is usually good at giving a  good airing to. He may not be everyones cup of tea, but Off The Ball is definitely poorer for his absence imo. Kevin Kilbane is a poor choice of co host. He knows a lot about soccer, but that is about it. He can't really hold his own if they are talking about GAA, rugby, golf, doping or whatever, which all the other hosts can slip comfortably between discussing.

Cian Ward is particularly good, but the Conan dude is hard to listen to. It's strange that someone with such a odd voice, was given a job in a soley audio format. It's great that they often get the really big guests on, for an indepth interview, the very day after they were involved in a big game, when the game is still fresh in peoples heads. Off The Ball and Game On can be a bit hit and miss there. Maybe it's because they have to dedicate so much time to other sports.

I have no time for the snobbery that exists in some GAA circles, that if you don't have an arseful of AI medals, or you didn't play for a leading county, you can't be any good as a pundit or a journalist. That is nonsense. Pat Spillane has more AI medals than anyone else and we all know how rubbish he is is as a pundit.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 10, 2017, 04:06:47 PM
I still like Off the Ball, miss their live GAA coverage and it was in that environment that Parkinson excelled.

I am off to his Webcast on Thursday, some good guests Willie McCreery, Glenn Ryan, Pillar Caffrey, Johnny Magee and Eamonn Fennell. Looking forward to it.

Kildare polo shirt pressed and ironed?
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Donnellys Hollow

There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

omagh_gael

Quote from: Beffs on July 11, 2017, 01:19:41 PM
His podcast is excellent. There is a refreshing lack of bullshit and cliches. Was v surprised at his hardline stance at the recent doping controversy. It is that very thing (that the powers that be, wish remained brushed under the carpet) that he is usually good at giving a  good airing to. He may not be everyones cup of tea, but Off The Ball is definitely poorer for his absence imo. Kevin Kilbane is a poor choice of co host. He knows a lot about soccer, but that is about it. He can't really hold his own if they are talking about GAA, rugby, golf, doping or whatever, which all the other hosts can slip comfortably between discussing.

Cian Ward is particularly good, but the Conan dude is hard to listen to. It's strange that someone with such a odd voice, was given a job in a soley audio format. It's great that they often get the really big guests on, for an indepth interview, the very day after they were involved in a big game, when the game is still fresh in peoples heads. Off The Ball and Game On can be a bit hit and miss there. Maybe it's because they have to dedicate so much time to other sports.

I have no time for the snobbery that exists in some GAA circles, that if you don't have an arseful of AI medals, or you didn't play for a leading county, you can't be any good as a pundit or a journalist. That is nonsense. Pat Spillane has more AI medals than anyone else and we all know how rubbish he is is as a pundit.

Being from Derry really does inhibit the chances of being vocally appealing!

The GAA hour is great as it's analysis is much more in-depth and covers far more games. For example, OTB only had 16 mins of football review on their GAA football podcast last night

Beffs

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 11, 2017, 02:00:53 PM

The GAA hour is great as it's analysis is much more in-depth and covers far more games. For example, OTB only had 16 mins of football review on their GAA football podcast last night

It's not a Derry thing, or even an Ulster thing. (Stevie O'Neill is v good too.) There is just something about his voice. It often comes across as muffled too, as if his microphone is not working properly, or the phone line he is on is not clear.

Jayop

Quote from: Beffs on July 11, 2017, 02:15:38 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on July 11, 2017, 02:00:53 PM

It's not a Derry thing, or even an Ulster thing. (Stevie O'Neill is v good too.) There is just something about his voice. It often comes across as muffled too, as if his microphone is not working properly, or the phone line he is on is not clear.

Young Conan does indeed have a strange voice, but I think he's excellent on the podcast.

TheGreatest

He has a lack of respect when interviewing now and in the past to amateur players and managers, tries to get more out of them than they are willing, GAA players don't have to give interviews if they don't want to and don't want to discuss bullshit. He can also be a hypocrite i.e the cash he took of Parnell's and then did a Bunsen burner.

His nickname is not Woolly, its Scruff!

Taylor

5 pages on him.
Why?
Irrelevant