Ulster Colleges

Started by Line Ball, October 13, 2012, 06:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Gs Man

Delighted for St.Ronan's!

We had some great wins at St.Pauls/St.Michael's (before the amalgamation), but this is on another level!

9 clubmates on the panel too.  Some day for the parish!
Keep 'er lit

lurganblue

Well done St Ronan's. Luckily got to see some of it on Youtube while pretending to do work  :P
Played well. Big physical team.

omagh_gael

HTC win by 9 after being 10 down with 14 minutes played! Ulster slaying the Kerry dragon well today ;)

Cunny Funt

Quote from: omagh_gael on March 28, 2018, 04:15:35 PM
HTC win by 9 after being 10 down with 14 minutes played! Ulster slaying the Kerry dragon well today ;)
Out of interest how many of the Tyrone AI U17 winning team from last year is on that Tyrone school team?

omagh_gael

Quote from: Cunny Funt on March 28, 2018, 08:02:58 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on March 28, 2018, 04:15:35 PM
Out of interest how many of the Tyrone AI U17 winning team from last year is on that Tyrone school team?

Tyrone: L Quinn, A Fox, M McCusker, C Ward, R Slane, C Munroe, T Quinn (0-1), M Murnaghan, J Oguz (0-1), C Donaghy (0-2, 1f), D Canavan (1-3), D Millar (0-3), E Jordan (0-5, 3f), C Donnelly, T Hoy. Subs: O McHugh (0-1) for Slane, M Hayes (1-0) for Hoy, M Conroy (0-2) for Donnelly, R McCabe for Jordan, L Gray for Donaghy

Holy Trinity Cookstown: C Loane, D Canavan, T Quinn, T McNamee, O Mulgrew, C Donnelly (1-0), M McKearney, E Gallagher, P Lagan, K Robinson (0-1), E Devlin, S Murphy (2-1), T Quinn (0-1), Tiernan Mackle (1-1), M Devlin (0-3). Subs: A Moore for Devlin, C Quinn for Robinson, C McGarrity for Murphy, Thomas Mackle (1-0) for Lagan, S Bradley for Gallagher, T Dorris for Mackle

These are both teams, not a massive overlap. Maybe two or three. The D Canavan for HTC is not Darragh.

Eamonnca1

Good article although I'm not sure if I agree with its description of Lurgan as a town best known for soccer. There's about 5 GAA clubs in the town (4 football, 1 hurling), more in the neighbouring countryside. The GAA has always had a huge presence there.

Therealdonald

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 30, 2018, 06:01:36 PM
Good article although I'm not sure if I agree with its description of Lurgan as a town best known for soccer. There's about 5 GAA clubs in the town (4 football, 1 hurling), more in the neighbouring countryside. The GAA has always had a huge presence there.

It would be known as more of a soccer town though. Or at least GAA wouldn't have been the no.1 priority for a lot of young people. The tide seems to be turning and long may it continue.

armaghniac

Why, with 3 schools merging, did they not have pitch between them?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Eamonnca1

St Paul's never had a grass pitch, they used Davitt Park which is next door.

St Mary's was a girl's school and I don't believe they had a pitch.

St Michael's had two pitches but they're probably being used as a staging ground for the construction of the new campus on that site.

Mickey Linden

Quote from: Therealdonald on March 30, 2018, 08:02:03 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 30, 2018, 06:01:36 PM

It would be known as more of a soccer town though. Or at least GAA wouldn't have been the no.1 priority for a lot of young people. The tide seems to be turning and long may it continue.

Always thought of lurgan as a gaa town. Dont know of any other town of similar size in ireland that has as many thriving gaa clubs

JimStynes

I wouldn't see Lurgan as a soccer town. There is a massive interest in Gaelic football as far as I remember. Maybe in the 80s and before that it was different but in my lifetime it's always been about Gaelic football. Lots of boys play soccer too but gaelic is their first pick!

Throw ball

Over the last number of years I always felt Lurgan wad more of a soccer town. Only 1 of the 4 main clubs in the town plays senior football. In some respects though there may just be too many clubs for the area.

general_lee

Quote from: Throw ball on March 30, 2018, 10:27:41 PM
Over the last number of years I always felt Lurgan wad more of a soccer town. Only 1 of the 4 main clubs in the town plays senior football. In some respects though there may just be too many clubs for the area.
All of them have been in and out of Senior in the last 5 or 6 years. If Lurgan only had one club it would be some team

omagh_gael

Five clubs In one town tells me there are some argumentative hoors in Lurgan! ;)