Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hectic

Might be difficult but as far as I can see there are 13 teams across the 3 division still in the hunt for honours, promotion or fighting relegation. There is a strong possibility that a lot of these teams will still be in the mix come the last weekend of October. Then there is also Ulster Championship for the Intermediate and Junior Champions towards the end of October.

That is a lot of clubs with business still to get sorted and that is not taking into account conditions impacting on these games being played. That is a lot of lads who have been busting a gut since last winter who are potentially going to be impacted with having to play two days running, on the same day or having to make a choice as to what games they play in.

And what if we get stinking weather at the end of Oct. Do we just tell clubs that is it, the leagues are cut off. Maybe this year is the exception but there are 4 teams in the hunt for promotion to Div 1 and the same for Div 2. A good few of these are still in their Championship. If you want to put fellas who have worked hard all year off this is a good way to go about it.

Hectic

And maybe in that do we have to get a lot tighter on making clubs play their games when scheduled with the only valid reasons for call off being bereavement or pitch unplayable as well as oppositions pitches being unplayable at the same time. And the County then setting the refix date and not letting clubs start to meander without seeing the bigger pictute of what falls where. Maybe too much of a free for all at present and not enough leadership?

imtommygunn

Big win for creggan last night. Lisburn in junior final now and probably have a reasonable chance of winning it.

Hectic

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 22, 2018, 09:41:25 AM
Big win for creggan last night. Lisburn in junior final now and probably have a reasonable chance of winning it.

Neither outcome in the slightest unexpected. Lisburn very good chance now especially given their form over the last few months. O Donnells having played Div 2 this year still my favorites despite a tough league campaign. Lot to be said for being hardened against stronger teams.

imtommygunn

Yeah. Depends whether it has dented o'donnels confidence in division 2 i guess. I wonder is that lisburn's first ever county final?

delgany

Lisburn won JFC  in 1990. They were beaten last year by Sarsfields  in final by 3 .

Hectic

Quote from: Hectic on September 22, 2018, 10:46:23 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on September 22, 2018, 09:41:25 AM

Neither outcome in the slightest unexpected. Lisburn very good chance now especially given their form over the last few months. O Donnells having played Div 2 this year still my favorites despite a tough league campaign. Lot to be said for being hardened against stronger teams.

Jesus O Ds gave Glenravel some tanking. Thought it would have been tight.

delgany

It was the other way about
Score is wrong on servasport !

imtommygunn

Quote from: delgany on September 22, 2018, 11:27:33 AM
Lisburn won JFC  in 1990. They were beaten last year by Sarsfields  in final by 3 .

Ah.

Yeah delgany is right. O'donnels well beaten.

Hectic

Ha just change the names then in my earlier comment. And anyone needing predictions give me a shout after this mornings effort  :-[

Hectic

ODs more scarred than hardened by Div 2 at that rate though must have been as big a tanking as they have taken all season. Eamon Fyfe back in the Glenravel side?

Hectic

Disappointed for Portglenone in what was always going to be a big ask againt a Galls team that still has plenty of know how.

paddyjohn

Quote from: Hectic on September 22, 2018, 04:13:56 PM
ODs more scarred than hardened by Div 2 at that rate though must have been as big a tanking as they have taken all season. Eamon Fyfe back in the Glenravel side?

No Fyfe from what I saw. O'Dees 3 sent off inside 60secs.

Hectic

Quote from: paddyjohn on September 22, 2018, 09:25:32 PM
Quote from: Hectic on September 22, 2018, 04:13:56 PM

No Fyfe from what I saw. O'Dees 3 sent off inside 60secs.

Did they do the Willie John McBride 99 call?

bannside

Credit to St Galls, we simply had no answer to them today. They stamped their authority on the game early and didn't stop. Their football was classy...a reminder from some of their stalwarts why they were one of the best teams in the country just a few years ago. Credit where it's due they were too good for us when it mattered.