Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryano

Quote from: venter on November 10, 2006, 12:51:15 PM
If he takes the job, he will have a few of those Ballagh lads on the squad. I think Drake, Kilcullens, Derek Moran, Andy Moran and Barry Regan will all get a shot.

I'm afriad you won't be getting Derek Moran. When he transferred from Western Gaels to Ballagh he was only let do so by the Ros C.B. on the condition that he could be selected for Roscommon and would not be eligable for Mayo. He played for the Roscommon Junior team against Kerry in this years All Ireland final in Ennis. Was on after the Mayo and Kerry Minor play off.

He was kicked out of the Western Gaels club and banned after he attacked his former manager during a senior chamionship game in Roscommon two years ago in Hyde park. While undoubtedly talented he is still a header with a wicked temper.......

On JOM what would be the public's reaction if Mayo were to reach an All Ireland final again and loose? Do you think he would go the same way as Maughan and Moran?? Looking in from the outside Mayo people seem to think that he will be the the final piece to the jigsaw to bring Sam back to ye. I seriously doubt it's as black and white as that and it will be very interesting to see if he is still as popular in 2/3 years time if Sam is not back in Castlebar. There will be huge pressure on him or whoever takes it on to succeed...

towinjustonce

nice new site but will take a bit o gettin used to

its looking like next week before we get JOM's answer. Hopefully he'll take it on. Would be such a shame if he says NO two years running and he might as well forget about the election if he does that

criostlinn

I hope this gets sorted soon. I think JOM needs to take the job this time. If anyone else gets it, his name is going to keep coming up when things go bad. At least if he takes it and it doesnt work out we can move on and the monkey is of the back.

OkeyDoke

Apparently, there has been 3-4 meetings between JOM and CB. I reckon JOM is laying down the law and trying to get everything sorted before he agrees to take over.
Another possible reason for the delay is that he's still involved with St Brigids who play cross on Sun. If Cross win, expect an anouncement on Mon morning confirming JOM as the new Mayo manager ;)

AbbeySider

Call me negative or cynical guys but I dont think that just because JOM takes over that we will have a divine right to win an All-Ireland.
Fair enough JOM might have the know how and the managerial skills to bring us a long way. What I think we lack is the players and actual ability.

I dont honestly think we have got what it takes to win an All-Ireland in the near future. The likes of legendary players like Brady, O Neill, Nallen, McDonald and Heaney & co have all given it their best shot. These players are either in their twilight years or close to them and it remains to be seen how much they have left to give.

There is some hope as a few younger players from Ballaghdreen and Crossmolina and the U-21's might make the break soon but it will take a while before we will have them fully ready and experienced. Much work has to be done to reach the likes of Kerry as regards bodies being in physical shape and developing players mentally. I witnessed Kerry playing live twice this year in Croke Park. Against Cork I knew afterwards that they played with an intensity and physical approach that we couldn't match and I knew in my heart of hearts that we were doomed. I cant see anyone at the helm turning around things for us in a few short years. What happened in September cut the players and supporters very, very deeply.

It seems that in the past that we have depended too much on luck, faith, fate, and god himself to win an us All-Ireland. I even heard people say that we have to win soon because of the law of averages dictates it. Sadly none of the fore mentioned can bring us to the promised land, its only the players on the pitch that can do it.

And im not sure if we are good enough for a few years to come... even if JOM is manager.

Pietas

The single most important philosophy in Rome was Stoicism, which originated in Hellenistic Greece. The contents of the philosophy were particularly amenable to the Roman world view, especially since the Stoic insistence on acceptance of all situations, including adverse ones, seemed to reproduce what the Romans considered their crowning achievement: virtus, or "manliness," or "toughness."
In Roman mythology, Pietas was the goddess of duty to one's state, gods and family.

OkeyDoke

Abbey,i don't think we're that far off, 2 finals and 1 quarters in the last 3 years speak for themselves. With regards to the older players C Mac and Heaney are good for another year, Heaney to number 6(not fast enough for no 3), C MAC to no 14. Nallen,Brady and KON are vital ,possibly as bit part players and also to help development of younger players.
Its time for the younger players to really step up, the likes of Trevor Mort,Ronan Mc, Conor,P Gardiner,A Dillon etc to name a few. Dillon needs to be played at no 11.
What the players need is a manager that they truly believe can lead them to Sam. It was clearly obvious that they had little respect for MM, even though he came across as a nice fella. H=
Hopefully JOM is that type of manager the players and supporters need. We won't be found wanting in terms of preparation or tactics if JOM is in charge.

An Cnoc Mor

I too feel like AbbeySider. Just because O'Mahony might take the job doesn't mean we will win Sam next year. I just feel that 06 was the year this Mayo team was going to win an all-Ireland and we haven't taken it. However the u-21 victory brings some hope but we have had other u-21 victories in the 70s and 80s and won nothing with those players either.

MacDanger

Quotewould you consider putting Ger Brady into CHB. He is mobile, foot passing is good, creative, strong and reads the game well. Dublin managed it with Cullen and has paid off dividends for them. He is a talented footballer.

I wouldn't go near that idea, Brady would be great against weaker teams driving forward but he would be found out for not being able to defend when he comes up against a good centre forward. Don't agree with converting defenders to forwards and vice versa at all.

Bod Mor

Quote from: MacDanger on November 12, 2006, 10:09:34 PM
I wouldn't go near that idea, Brady would be great against weaker teams driving forward but he would be found out for not being able to defend when he comes up against a good centre forward. Don't agree with converting defenders to forwards and vice versa at all.

I would agree with ya MacDanger, Ger Brady definitely isn't a half back. I wouldn't mind seeing how Trevor Mortimer would fair out there but he's needed in at full forward. Maybe we could look at Stephen Drake from Ballagh but its a bit early to go saying who will play where, we'll see who the new manager puts there during the league campaign anyway.
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

OkeyDoke

I also agree with Mac and Bod, GB would be found wanting against a quality CHF. He's just not aggressive enough for that position. He's excellent with the ball in his hands but seems to be lazy without it or whan attempting to tackle.
I don't thing we need to convert a forward to CHB, we have a lotta options...Nalllen,Heaney,P Kelly,L O Malley to name a few

Pietas

Each station in life has its duties; every situation in life has duties or obligations incumbent on it.
In Roman mythology, Pietas was the goddess of duty to one's state, gods and family.

Barney

Well do ye reckon there will be any developments this week.

It'll either be announced at a CB meeting or a Weshtern exclusive I would guess?

Farrandeelin

I don't know Barney, I think he (O'Mahony) will delay in telling us once again until St Brigids are knocked out.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Cllr Willie Power

I don't want to turn this thread into the Mayo Championship XV 2007 (plenty of time ahead lads for that, tis a long winter  ;)) but there's a few interesting opinions being expressed. Barney - no Heaney in your team? I feel he's probably going to slot in at number 6 next season although a fit Trevor Mortimer would be worth a look here as well, even though we badly need him at full forward. I wouldn't dump Nallen yet though, would be a good influence within the panel and a good man to have to bring on if needed to steady the ship. I've said it before but Paddy Navin has to be worth a look at full back, playing great stuff with UCD again this year. Why has he never got a look in before? Whoever said Ger Brady for centre back is way off the mark. One of the laziest players on the pitch, not a man to track back or throw in a tackle and wouldn't be aggressive enough for this spot. The new manager will obviously have his own ideas and I can see probably 10 or more from this years panel (including some starters) who won't be there next year. Finally, we weren't exactly blessed on the injury front this year so here's hoping for better luck next year. Anyway, like I said, this is really for another time on another thread.

As regards the next manager, best of luck to him whoever he is but he's going to have his work cut out. O'Mahony can't really stall a decision much longer now. If he does take it he's going to be under huge pressure to deliver Sam in 2007 which is ridiculous. The wounds of September will take a while to heal and I'd ask for whoever comes in to be given time. If he doesn't take it I think we'll be hard pressed to find anyone who will touch it with a barge pole - they know they're second choice, JOM will be the messiah in exile (still) and the way M&M were disposed of won't bring great confidence to any interested parties. I fear we could have a repeat of last summer where we end up with someone who wouldn't have been people's first (and more) choice to take over. There certainly wasn't much shouting on this board anyway. Here's hoping for a decision soon.....