mayo hurling

Started by the bucket, November 13, 2006, 02:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the bucket

any news on the new management for next season did frankie  and the blind optician get back in?

Hit the ground

How much work and more importantly money are the Mayo county board putting in to developing hurling in the county? I travelled down from Galway to the county final between Ballina and Ballyhaunis a couple of weeks ago in Charlestown and the divide between the teams was fairly big - a game like this might be expected in the early rounds of the championship - but in the final? - wasn't the best advert for mayo hurling or the work (or lack of) being done by the county board on promoting the game.  What are the views of players involved in hurling in Mayo?

the bucket

the county final was poor, but had you seen the 3 matches between toreen and ballyhaunis in the semi final you would have been very impressed, the second replay and extra time was fantastic stuff.
the clubs themselves are doing their best without any help financial or otherwise from county board, every inch of progress made by hurling is met by serious opposition by the county board and their friend from ballyhaunis called the verger

Hit the ground

i have no doubt that the work is being put in by the indivdual clubs and they deserve credit for it, however that work can only go so far if the county board won't meet them half way!  In the meantime keep up the good work  :) - as an aside keith higgins was superb that day

Sky Blue

How many clubs are hurling in Mayo? Whats the set up like? Do you get much assisantce from your neighbours?

westmayo

There are only four clubs playing senior hurling in the county as far as I know. Westport, Ballina, Ballyhaunis and Tooreen. (I'm open to correction on that). There a a good few underage clubs after setting up in the last few years such as Ballyvary (Pake area), Adrgoole (Lahardane/Glenhest Area) and one or two others. Alot of work seems to be put in by the dedicated few.

Farrandeelin

I think there are 6 hurling clubs in Mayo. You forgot about Belmullet and Castlebar westmayo.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

the bucket

yes you are correct 6 senior clubs plus 2 other clubs which are just juvenile clubs only as yet. we get no help from our neighbours in galway, less help from our own county board and coonaught  council led by the verger are out to hinder us in every way they can, other than that hurling was never in better shape in mayo than it is now

neilthemac

Galway hurling should go into munster or leinster as they have no interaction with Roscommon or Mayo. clubs won't play challenge matches, don't want to invite underage teams into blitzs, leagues etc. Its nearly apartheid down our way, assisted by the Galway County Bo... sorry, Connacht Council

youbetterbelieveit

Good to see Mayo hurling progressing, hopefully one or tow more club might form and join the senior sides and make the senior championship better and more competitive, its a pity about no inter action with Galway, it could be of great benefit for the underage development.

sheskin

And do not expect any help from Nicky Brennan, not that many years ago he stated at a meeting in our club in dublin that the GAA had to concentrate on keeping hurling strong in the traditional counties and there was no sence in spreading the resources thinly over developing counties.
He probably would deny this now and give the usual line about helping everybody etc

highking

Brennan didnt give a good account of himself to the hurling people when down in Mayo last year. Cant understand why he is so much against Hurling Counties like Mayo. Sean Kelly had more of a Grá for hurling than Brennan.

Lar Naparka

Brennan didnt give a good account of himself to the hurling people when down in Mayo last year. Cant understand why he is so much against Hurling Counties like Mayo. Sean Kelly had more of a Grá for hurling than Brennan.

And therein, I bet, lies the root of the problem; Brennan is a Kilkenny man while Kelly is not from a "traditional" hurling county.
The greatest\ obstacle to hurling keeping abreast of the changing times comes from the conservatism of those in its stronghold areas.
I am not surprised at the bucket's comment that Galway won't help Mayo to develop its hurling. I'd imagine Roscommon people would say the same thing of Galway.
I generally get along well with any Wexford people I know; on the whole they are a friendly and tolerant lot but not where hurling is concerned. I mention that county in particular because I find their hurling snootiness greatly at variance with their tolerance in other matters.
Some Kilkenny people, Brennan probably included would be of the same mindset; they don't want to see mud-warriors like ourselves progressing at the game.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

MacDanger

QuoteI am not surprised at the bucket's comment that Galway won't help Mayo to develop its hurling

In fairness if the Mayo CB are doing feck all why should Galway CB make an effort?? Changes have to start with the CB and Connacht Council

the bucket

we dont need any help from anybody else, all we want is to get the county board and the verger to stop hindering us. we tell that to everybody when they come to mayo but nothing is ever done.