Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: lurganblue on May 25, 2022, 11:17:46 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 05, 2022, 10:46:17 PM
Just watched the latest Marvel movie, Dr Strange's new one. Was alright, wasn't great

I think i made a bit of a boo boo with this one.  I brought the child to the cinema to see it and he would be a bit of a sensitive soul.  Some parts of this scared the sh*t out of him.  :D ach sure, character building

Grew up with films like The Shining, The Omen, Poltergeist, Texas chainsaw massacre, Halloween, Freddy Kruger films, Friday the 13th, The Evil dead, and all the Hammer films to name but a few! Turned out alright  :o
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Ethan Tremblay

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 25, 2022, 11:24:37 AM
Just watched the latest Marvel movie, Dr Strange's new one. Was alright, wasn't great

I think i made a bit of a boo boo with this one.  I brought the child to the cinema to see it and he would be a bit of a sensitive soul.  Some parts of this scared the sh*t out of him.  :D ach sure, character building

Grew up with films like The Shining, The Omen, Poltergeist, Texas chainsaw massacre, Halloween, Freddy Kruger films, Friday the 13th, The Evil dead, and all the Hammer films to name but a few! Turned out alright  :o

I mind in school the teacher played us some Pixar film on tape.  Half the movie was a feel good Pixar film, the other half, which had not been recorded over was the Texas Chainsaw massacre.  Good old tapes, the original torrent service of the 90's and early 2000's.   
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

JPGJOHNNYG

Just saw Top Gun. Fantastic. Makes the original look pretty rubbish.

Main Street

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 25, 2022, 11:24:37 AM

Define alright?

Turf

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on May 29, 2022, 11:35:44 PM
The original could never be made look rubbish!
Looking forward to watching the sequel though.

laoislad

Just back from it. Absolutely loved it.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Rudi

The deep end of the ocean on Netflix, worth a watch. Recommended Lion before one Christmas, similar conflicted genre.

Loughshore2022

I've watched around 200 films the past 18 months. The 2 favourites that come to mind are the 2019 film 'The Boat', there wasn't any dialogue in this, just a man trying to survive in a boat that was being controlled by a hidden force.

The other film is 'A perfect world' from 1993 with Kevin Costner. In the early 90s there seemed to be a trend of making films set in the 50s and 60s. This was about a boy forming a friendship with his kidnapper on a road trip.
The reason why this film isn't well known is because it was released the same week as Mrs Doubtfire which took the shine off it

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Loughshore2022 on June 20, 2022, 03:09:41 PM
I've watched around 200 films the past 18 months. The 2 favourites that come to mind are the 2019 film 'The Boat', there wasn't any dialogue in this, just a man trying to survive in a boat that was being controlled by a hidden force.

The other film is 'A perfect world' from 1993 with Kevin Costner. In the early 90s there seemed to be a trend of making films set in the 50s and 60s. This was about a boy forming a friendship with his kidnapper on a road trip.
The reason why this film isn't well known is because it was released the same week as Mrs Doubtfire which took the shine off it

Perfect World is a quality film, 'The Boat' has me intrigued
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

nrico2006

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 20, 2022, 03:11:45 PM

Perfect World is a quality film, 'The Boat' has me intrigued

Vaguely remember Perfect World, remember it being sad at the end. 

Thought 200 was a crazy number over 18 months, but its only 11 odd a month or 2 a week basically.  It has got me thinking about how many films I have actually watched altogether.  In an average week bound to watch at least 5 or as many as 10.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

lurganblue

Hustle on Netflix, with Adam Sandler. It was nice to see him playing more serious type role and from the preview of the film, i thought it would be right up my street.

Overall i think the film just fell a little bit flat at times but it was still ok. Perhaps i'm just not a big enough basketball fan for it.

nrico2006

Quote from: lurganblue on June 22, 2022, 10:00:32 AM
Hustle on Netflix, with Adam Sandler. It was nice to see him playing more serious type role and from the preview of the film, i thought it would be right up my street.

Overall i think the film just fell a little bit flat at times but it was still ok. Perhaps i'm just not a big enough basketball fan for it.

It wasn't as good as I thought it was either.  I was probably expecting more after Uncut Gems, which I thought was brilliant.  I'm not a big basketball fan either, but films revolving around that sport tend to be very good.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

An Watcher

Same as above tbh.  Watched Hostiles last night and thought it wasn't bad

tonto1888

Quote from: laoislad on June 04, 2022, 08:56:39 PM
Just back from it. Absolutely loved it.

same. It was brillaint

J70

A Perfect World was a superb film.

Directed by Eastwood if I recall correctly.

He's fairly one-dimensional, but I always find Costner a compelling actor when he's properly cast.