Started by Eamonnca1, August 02, 2022, 11:55:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evil Genius

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on August 08, 2022, 01:40:08 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 08, 2022, 10:22:35 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on August 08, 2022, 09:59:19 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 08, 2022, 08:53:54 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on August 08, 2022, 08:22:08 AM
Honestly I'm astounded at the croppies on here, and a lot of lads who spend their time slagging off SDLP. Gobsmacked

Please just admit that's why you have this post?  You get annoyed because people give off about SDLP taking seats in London? They aint the same and not even close...

Deal with each issues for what it is, there is no crossover.. Sports people don't give a flying f**k, they are only there for the sport, that may be difficult for you to understand but it is...

Photo's of flegs must really get on peoples tits

It's absolutely 2 cheeks of the same arse, it's the most un Irish thing you can do, head off to a games celebrating servitude and slavery under the banner of the crown . There are loads of other competitions, this one is poor standard anyhow . As you said maybe a chance for people that aren't up to world standard to wrap a flag around them

As I said before you'll never understand the effort that these athletes go to, and for you to be all political about it is a bit childish

Again you seem hung up on flegs and politics and bringing sport into it to suit your argument or position.

Sport is sport, this championship is a big deal in the sporting calendar ... You said there are loads of competitions? Olympic, World, European and Commonwealth... There are various competitions but they don't have the collective atmosphere of a 'Games' 

There is no championships that are held really on a personal level, its about representation, the same competitors in gymnastics will be representing Ireland in November at the World championships

You will be up at Windsor park next
And most welcome Milltown would be.

Meanwhile, if your argument is that no self-respecting Nationalist should be seen anywhere near an event featuring the NI flag, does that mean that you're not bothered about Unionists declining to participate in GAA events because of the presence of Tricolours and the Soldiers Song there?
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

armaghniac

Quote from: Evil Genius on August 08, 2022, 03:16:32 PM

Meanwhile, if your argument is that no self-respecting Nationalist should be seen anywhere near an event featuring the NI flag, does that mean that you're not bothered about Unionists declining to participate in GAA events because of the presence of Tricolours and the Soldiers Song there?

You are making a false equivalence between using a loyalist symbol with no official status whatsoever to represent a political entity set up for sectarian purposes and a flag representing irish people everywhere which is also the flag of normal democratic state.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Mikhail Prokhorov

Honestly I'm astounded at the croppies on here, and a lot of lads who spend their time slagging off SDLP. Gobsmacked

Please just admit that's why you have this post?  You get annoyed because people give off about SDLP taking seats in London? They aint the same and not even close...

Deal with each issues for what it is, there is no crossover.. Sports people don't give a flying f**k, they are only there for the sport, that may be difficult for you to understand but it is...

It's absolutely 2 cheeks of the same arse, it's the most un Irish thing you can do, head off to a games celebrating servitude and slavery under the banner of the crown . There are loads of other competitions, this one is poor standard anyhow . As you said maybe a chance for people that aren't up to world standard to wrap a flag around them

As I said before you'll never understand the effort that these athletes go to, and for you to be all political about it is a bit childish

Again you seem hung up on flegs and politics and bringing sport into it to suit your argument or position.

Sport is sport, this championship is a big deal in the sporting calendar ... You said there are loads of competitions? Olympic, World, European and Commonwealth... There are various competitions but they don't have the collective atmosphere of a 'Games' 

There is no championships that are held really on a personal level, its about representation, the same competitors in gymnastics will be representing Ireland in November at the World championships

the castle catholics in the north have been bought and sold many times

this is no different  ::)

imtommygunn

Ah it's yourself. What's kept you.

Evil Genius

Quote from: armaghniac on August 08, 2022, 03:19:41 PM

You are making a false equivalence between using a loyalist symbol with no official status whatsoever to represent a political entity set up for sectarian purposes and a flag representing irish people everywhere which is also the flag of normal democratic state.
Blah, blah, blah.

So when people fly NI flags on lampposts in East Belfast, they're sectarian bigots etc, but when other people fly Tricolours on lampposts in West Belfast, they're warmly welcoming all the children of the Nation equally, then?

Well we can't have another false equivalence, can we?
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Meanwhile, Ms. Mageean has just set Irish unity back another week or two...

(My emphasis)
"This is my third Commonwealth Games and it is third time lucky," she said.

"I had a discussion with my coach, Helen Clitheroe, before the race and she discussed the Commonwealth Games where she finished fourth when she was up there challenging for a gold medal.

"She told me that she went out for gold in the race and doesn't regret that, so that was the point where I thought I was going to go out and go for gold.

"If I failed to do that and finished anywhere else in the field then at least I tried my best to be on the top of the podium.

"That was my aim, Laura had legs and that bit of a kick, but I'm proud to have a silver and finally have a medal at the Commonwealth Games."

Mageean, who had her parents, boyfriend and aunt in attendance in Birmingham, said she was trying to judge the gap to Muir and the field behind on the big screens at the Alexandra Stadium but the footage kept panning to the crowd every time she glanced up.

"The whole crowd has been phenomenal, it's the best crowd I have ever run in front of in the whole of my career," she added.

"I think I might have had one of the slowest laps of honour in history because I threw up along the way a few times.

"It's phenomenal going around and seeing the Northern Irish flag up there and hearing the familiar twang, someone will say 'well done, Ciara' and you can immediately tell they are from home because, let's face it, we have a distinctive accent."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/commonwealth-games/62462812
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Not bothered at all. I'm all for a new neutral flag.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on August 08, 2022, 03:20:56 PM

the castle catholics in the north have been bought and sold many times

this is no different  ::)

Yep , embarrassing

Evil Genius

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on August 08, 2022, 04:01:00 PM

And anthem?

You know, something like (ahem) Danny Boy?  ;)
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Evil Genius on August 08, 2022, 04:06:30 PM

And anthem?

I'm talking about in a united Ireland

tiempo

Danny they/them?

Evil Genius

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on August 08, 2022, 04:17:04 PM

And anthem?

I'm talking about in a united Ireland
So to be clear, what are your preferences for flag and anthem (a ) under the present dispensation, and (b ) in a united Ireland?
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: tiempo on August 08, 2022, 04:18:35 PM

Danny they/them?
Good point!

How about Danny Boy when it's the boys playing and Danny Girl when the girls are playing.

Not sure about mixed teams, though.  :-\

The Londonderry Air, perhaps?  ;)
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Eamonnca1

Welcome back, EG.

How does this Commonwealth Games thing operate, then? My understanding is that most sports are governed on an all-Ireland basis.  Do the Irish federations for the likes of Cricket, Hockey, and Track-and-Field set up a special division for the CG so they can field an NI team?

imtommygunn

Athletics have their own body in the north and the south .. Gymnastics probably the best example. That went well...

I didn't think there was a hockey team in it? Could be wrong though.