Price of a Pint

Started by toby47, October 13, 2021, 09:46:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

No sympathy for these big bars in the town especially with this price gouging.

There should have been a collective will between the hospitality sector in Belfast to make it an attractive night out and pricing is a big part of that. But instead they have gone for short termism and it is going to cost them.

Hopefully the locals are thriving in their place.

Dire Ear

Any difference in Derry prices?

snoopdog

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on October 13, 2021, 02:58:16 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on October 13, 2021, 02:54:01 PM
£5.20 for a Rockshore light, my god. A few of us now have wee rooms / spaces for a night's supping the odd weekend. Half a dozen men, some music and a box of beer for £12.
Local builders are up to their ears renovating home bars and spaces for folk.
The £5.20 for the Guinness Zero caught my attention.... :-\
I agree . Why is alcohol free beer the same price as a normal pint. Publicans and vintners association always blame tax on beer for the price. Surely there should be no or lower tax on a beer with no alcohol  . A shandy same price as a pint is also ridiculous. If they want people to drink responsibly where is the incentive to replace the odd round with an NA.

bogball88

Quote from: red hander on October 13, 2021, 11:31:44 PM
Rarely drink in city centre now. Was in Mulligans on Saturday to watch Ireland game and then Hercules, both places were under fiver for pint. Looking forward to £3.50 pints of excellent Guinness at Solitude this Saturday. I got myself a Phillips Perfect Draft machine during lockdown and it's best thing I've ever bought. Top quality German and Belgian kegged beer at my fingertips, why line the pockets of those rip off bastards.
Don't forget the cans of Red Stripe  :-*

JoG2

Quote from: Dire Ear on October 14, 2021, 09:42:56 AM

Tbh Dire Ear its been pre Covid since I was last in town for a beer. Just asked a couple of friends, both said £3.80 / £3.90

Couldn't agree more with Snoop. Non Alcoholic beers (I'll often drive to functions, nights out) should be taxed much much lower.

Estimator

There is a Belfast fella on twitter who has created a Pint Census Google Doc that you can access. He has pints prices from a whole range of places. He started it after a night out in a few bars post Covid.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Dire Ear on October 14, 2021, 09:42:56 AM

£3.50 on outskirts(locals bars), not sure up the town

bogball88

£3.20 St Malachys Old Boys Club on the Antrim Road in Belfast. Great spot. Think its even cheaper if you are a member

gallsman

7 quid for a bottle of Estrella Damm!!!! "Imported Beer" ffs. It's absolute piss that anyone above the age of 17 would look down their nose at over here.

bigarsedkeeper

Rarely drink in city centre now. Was in Mulligans on Saturday to watch Ireland game and then Hercules, both places were under fiver for pint. Looking forward to £3.50 pints of excellent Guinness at Solitude this Saturday. I got myself a Phillips Perfect Draft machine during lockdown and it's best thing I've ever bought. Top quality German and Belgian kegged beer at my fingertips, why line the pockets of those rip off bastards.
I saw those and was thinking about getting one. Which kegs would you recommend with it? I like German and Belgian beers so I thought it would be a good job. I never go out for a pint anymore so it's been mostly cans through beer hawk etc I'd be getting.

Franko

Quote from: gallsman on October 14, 2021, 02:32:02 PM
7 quid for a bottle of Estrella Damm!!!! "Imported Beer" ffs. It's absolute piss that anyone above the age of 17 would look down their nose at over here.

Inedit Damm

Different stuff entirely and not bad at all

7 quid is still an absolute robbery

toby47

Quote from: Franko on October 14, 2021, 04:31:32 PM

Inedit Damm

£7 for a Corona is the worst i've ever seen. Likely charge you £2 for the lime too

gallsman

Quote from: Franko on October 14, 2021, 04:31:32 PM

Inedit Damm

I'm familiar with Inedit. It's the same company and I love in Barcelona but his post clearly says 7 quid for a bottle of Estella Damm in the Grand Central.

red hander

Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on October 14, 2021, 03:37:43 PM
I saw those and was thinking about getting one. Which kegs would you recommend with it? I like German and Belgian beers so I thought it would be a good job. I never go out for a pint anymore so it's been mostly cans through beer hawk etc I'd be getting.

Lowenbrau and Spaten very good for the German, Jupiler and Stella (not the shite ruined under licence in the UK, the real gear) for the Belgian. Really nice Dutch one I can't recall name of too. Basically you can't go wrong with any of their beers, apart from the Tennents, obviously. Which is same price as few of the premier beers  ;D

naka

To be fair bought myself a sub and no longer have the wish to pay dearly for pints in a pub.
Was walking through newry and Saturday night at say 11/30
Was shocked at how quiet it was, nowhere busy.
Prices are killing pubs.