Lack of sleep

Started by ziggysego, April 23, 2007, 05:11:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

It's 5.15am. Been in bed since 11.30pm. Can't sleep. I can't never sleep. Have to get up in a couple of hours. Will be wrecked a
Testing Accessibility

ziggysego

Will be a wreck at work today. Any advice for a non sleeper like me?
Testing Accessibility

Guillem2

Over active mind Ziggy. You need to get your brain to stop thinking about serious stuff like GAA so you can doze off. A hot drink or a bit of horizonal jogging with the girlfriend should help.
Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

sureyouwill

Quote from: ziggysego on April 23, 2007, 05:11:38 AM
It's 5.15am. Been in bed since 11.30pm. Can't sleep. I can't never sleep. Have to get up in a couple of hours. Will be wrecked a

Does that mean you can sleep?

forkinknife

Watch an Ulster Championship match.

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Quote from: Guillem2 on April 23, 2007, 08:11:38 AM
A hot drink or a bit of horizonal jogging with the girlfriend should help.

My efforts at the oul horizontal jogging usually just sends them to sleep
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

Orior

Ziggy,

I think people sleep less in the summer that in the winter. But here are a few of my own tips:

- get black out curtains - bright rooms will wake you up
- avoid the 3pm and 7pm naps. If you start to doze off then go for a walk/wheel. Fresh air will help always tire you
- dont have breakfast at 11pm. Your body is working overtime trying to digest the food, and may keep you awake.
- get a good book and read until you drop off
- take a swig of whiskey (or a baileys) just before bedtime

Cheers
Orior
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

johnneycool

Allegedly  8)  a good old w**k puts you over to sleep, something to do with the hormones released after the load is shot according to some of those distinguished medical journals.

ziggysego

Quote from: 5iveTimes on April 23, 2007, 10:02:01 AM
Quote from: ziggysego on April 23, 2007, 05:13:04 AM
Will be a wreck at work today. Any advice for a non sleeper like me?

You`ll never sleep while you`re on-line.

Was in bed, using my mobile.
Testing Accessibility

ziggysego

Quote from: Orior on April 23, 2007, 10:49:27 AM
Ziggy,

I think people sleep less in the summer that in the winter. But here are a few of my own tips:

- get black out curtains - bright rooms will wake you up
- avoid the 3pm and 7pm naps. If you start to doze off then go for a walk/wheel. Fresh air will help always tire you
- dont have breakfast at 11pm. Your body is working overtime trying to digest the food, and may keep you awake.
- get a good book and read until you drop off
- take a swig of whiskey (or a baileys) just before bedtime

Cheers
Orior

Got to say, that made me laugh. Thanks for the good advice though.
Testing Accessibility

ziggysego

Quote from: johnneycool on April 23, 2007, 10:53:26 AM
Allegedly  8)  a good old w**k puts you over to sleep, something to do with the hormones released after the load is shot according to some of those distinguished medical journals.

In the good words of Dr. Rev. Ian Paisley

NEVER NEVER NEVER

PS, I was right. I'm a wreck today.
Testing Accessibility

magickingdom

every one of oriors tips are dead on. got to trick the mind tho so have the same routine every night. its no big deal but do the same thing the half hour before you go to sleep. read a book then and only then, 5 or 10 pages and then go to zzzzzzz (you can read the paper during the day but not your book!)....

pintsofguinness

I know exactly how you feel Ziggy! 

There is seriously nothing worse than lying in bed (usually yawning the head of  yourself) and watching the clock tick by...6 hours before i've to get up, 5 hours before I've to get up, 4 hours before I've to get up and so on! Going around the next day like a zombie, head to bed early that night, sleep for a hour and at about 2 o'clock the whole process starts again! I seriously spent 30 years of my life like that, night after night after night and NOTHING WORKS!! I could eat a pack of sleeping tablets, no affect on me.  You'd thinking reading would be good advise, but you're to tired to read, to tired to do anything! yet you still can't f**king sleep!!!

Ziggy if you're constantly like that and if the common sense things suggested doesn't work Id say go and tell your doc.  i went to mine about 6 months ago complaining about something else and a load of blood tests found I was lacking in something, one of the symptoms of it was not being fit to sleep!.  Got that sorted and sleeping like a baby since!

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Square Ball

Put your phone down.

I find when i cant sleep i think about it more and thus the vicious circle starts, read, pray count points going over the bar, that sort of thing, dont drink tea or coffee after 7 either.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Redgreenery

Ziggy, a few suggestions

Keep off your phone

Count sheep (never works as it's dark and you can't see the sheep, and if you count them in your mind it keeps your mind busy so it doesnt really work)

Stop thinking about the gaa board.