British and Irish Lions Tour 2013

Started by CorkMan, April 28, 2013, 07:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CorkMan

Squad due to be announced on Tuesday. You would imagine the bulk of the squad will be Welsh. I think O'Connell will be captain, Gatland has never picked a back as his captain in any job, so that's not a good sign for O'Driscoll. Robshaw and Warburton should both be ruled out as contenders in my opinion as neither is guaranteed a place in the test team as they have to compete with each other and Justin Tipuric for the no. 7 shirt.

Of the Irish, O'Connell, O'Driscoll, Sexton, Best, Kearney, Healy and O'Brien are probably guaranteed a spot on the tour. Zebo, O'Mahony, Ross, Ryan, Bowe and Gilroy have all probably got an outside chance of making it. Anybody think Tommy O'Donnell could make it. I think he's in with a chance having made Robshaw look a very ordinary player in the Heineken Cup quarter final.

tyroneboi

There has to be serious doubts over Warburtons captaincy credentials after what happened during the 6 nations and as u say he isn't even a guaranteed starter. I think Bowe will go as for my money he is still the best winger available. Him, Heaslip will also go, probably Murray and the other Irish players u named as certs is probably as many as we can hope for. After today's display I just wonder has Wilko done enough to get in? Really think Owen Farrell is overrated anyway. As long as Dylan Hartley and Chris Ashton aren't on the plane then Gatland can pick who he wants!!

Syferus

Sexton, Kearney, BOD, Farmer O'Brien and POC should be test starters. Heslip, Best and Bowe in with a shout depending on health and form and their relative chances would be in that order of likelihood too.

I do enjoy the Lions tours, one of the few amalgamation teams in any sport that actually works.

Capt Pat

O' Donnell has no chance of getting a spot on this tour. Maybe in four years he will get there.

CorkMan

Quote from: tyroneboi on April 28, 2013, 08:06:33 PM
There has to be serious doubts over Warburtons captaincy credentials after what happened during the 6 nations and as u say he isn't even a guaranteed starter. I think Bowe will go as for my money he is still the best winger available. Him, Heaslip will also go, probably Murray and the other Irish players u named as certs is probably as many as we can hope for. After today's display I just wonder has Wilko done enough to get in? Really think Owen Farrell is overrated anyway. As long as Dylan Hartley and Chris Ashton aren't on the plane then Gatland can pick who he wants!!

Wilkinson probably won't go as Toulon will probably be involved in the Top14 final and I read somewhere that Gatland wants to pick as little French-based players as possible. The French-based players I see going are Mike Phillips and Gethin Jenkins. Wilkinson should, but I doubt he will. Steffon Armitage is another who I don't think will be picked but should at least be considered. Also said in an article on ESPNscrum that there is set to be the fewest English players on the tour since a tour of South Africa in the 70's (not sure of the year).

CorkMan

Quote from: Syferus on April 28, 2013, 08:08:46 PM
Sexton, Kearney, BOD, Farmer O'Brien and POC should be test starters. Best and Bowe in with a shout depending on health and form.

I do enjoy the Lions tours, one of the few amalgamation teams in any sport that actually works.

Doubt it. Halfpenny is the form fullback atm.

Syferus

Quote from: CorkMan on April 28, 2013, 08:14:13 PM
Sexton, Kearney, BOD, Farmer O'Brien and POC should be test starters. Best and Bowe in with a shout depending on health and form.

It's between the two and Gatland will probably lean towards his own man but Kearney has barely put a foot wrong this season, he rose above the muck in the Six Nations too and was probably our best player. Objectively he should be the pick, at least in my opinion.

galwayman

Agreed.Halfpenny had been streets ahead of Kearney for the past two seasons.

rodney trotter

Quote from: galwayman on April 28, 2013, 08:24:38 PM
Agreed.Halfpenny had been streets ahead of Kearney for the past two seasons.

+1

Kearney was nowhere near the same form of the 2009 Lions Tour season.

CorkMan

Quote from: Syferus on April 28, 2013, 08:19:23 PM
Quote from: CorkMan on April 28, 2013, 08:14:13 PM

It's between the two and Gatland will probably lean towards his own man but Kearney has barely put a foot wrong this season, he rose above the muck in the Six Nations too and was probably our best player. Objectively he should be the pick, at least in my opinion.

If Halfpenny does make the test team, you can't say it's just because he's Gatlands own man. While Kearney is his main contender, Halfpenny is head and shoulders above every other fullback in the northern hemispere. He's up there with Israel Dagg as the best fullback in the world.

tyroneboi

I think its closer between Kearney and Halfpenny than you boys are making out. Halfpenny is an unbelieveable kicker and is probably in the top 4 or 5 in the world at it but for me Kearney offers more going forward. I think it will be a 50/50 call depending on how they go in the warm up games - Halfpenny is edging it at the moment! I also would throw Hogg into the full back equation - he is rapid! I wouldnt be surprised to see 2 out of that 3 starting in the test team.  I'm looking forward to the Lions - i fancy them to edge it 2-1.

SBH1983

I am a fan of the Lions too but just as an alternative opinion this article may be worth a read

http://www.irishpost.co.uk/sport/british-and-irish-lions-are-an-embarassment

Walter Cronc

Quote from: SBH1983 on April 28, 2013, 09:40:40 PM

I am a fan of the Lions too but just as an alternative opinion this article may be worth a read

I severely doubt that photo was taken after the 3rd test in 2009 and for that reason I refuse to read the article!

trileacman

Acts the bollix, then quotes Thatcher, f**king p***k.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Syferus

Quote from: trileacman on April 28, 2013, 09:49:04 PM

Acts the bollix, then quotes Thatcher, f**king p***k.

It's really just a troll article based around a single, isolated fact - that lots more people play rugby in Ireland and Britain than the nations the Lions play. No mention (or just trying to gloss over it) of these being teams assembled a few weeks before the first test and always playing away from home or the thousand other factors playing into the opposition's hands.

It's fun not to have to detest English and Welsh players for a few weeks every four years.